View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi, good luck in finding a new home for Ruby. I think its great you are taking the time to vet and check whoever will be taking her on.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Sorry not read through all of this but you ahve contacted her breeder haven't you? I'd be upset if a dog of mine went to a new home without knowing.

Sorry don't know your dogs situation.

You can only do what's best for you and no-one can question it.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 07:50 PM
So sorry, good luck finding a perfect home for Ruby and (((hugs))) cause this must be breaking your heart xx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I understand you have tried hard to try and get Ruby and the cats to tolerate each other, and I admire you for that, some people wouldn't even bother to try.

However, going by what you have said above, I think I would be rehoming the cats. How many have you got?

Cats are more independant than dogs, dogs are more sociable animals than cats and I think they do better with companions in most situations, IMO, and if you think Diesel will be saddened and upset by losing Ruby, then I would think of the dogs in this situation and rehome the cats.

I couldn't separate my dogs if they had such a strong bond as you describe, I just couldn't.

Sorry, just my opinion.

I wish you all the best in finding a fantastic cat-free home for her. Will it be nearby where the dogs could still meet up?
I have only just started looking for a home so, i dont know if it will be local, i have 5 cats and TBH i am not prepared to re-home them all as they were here first, my cats are no less important to me than the dogs, i have to address the problem and the problem unfortunately is Ruby. Diesel was very close to the cats before Ruby came so he wont be completely alone and she does boss him around quite a bit so he may not take it as bad as we think he will.

Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
Sorry not read through all of this but you ahve contacted her breeder haven't you? I'd be upset if a dog of mine went to a new home without knowing.

Sorry don't know your dogs situation.

You can only do what's best for you and no-one can question it.
We didnt get Ruby from her breeder, we took her on from her previous owners when she was 7 months old but saying that i did contact her breeder quite a while ago asking for some help and advice, I have had no reply so i'm guessing she wouldnt be that bothered

I have had a few people suggest to me that it should be the cats to go but i feel that is very unfair as most of them were born here and are my babies as much as the dogs.

I also feel it will be much easier to find one quality home for Ruby than to try and re-home 5 cats
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Sorry to read this, I have also read your other posts on the subject and know how hard you have worked to get things to work. I wish you every success in finding Ruby a new home, it will be sad for you to say goodbye of course, but imgaine how you wold feel if the worst happened an d one of your cats got killed. Good luck.xx
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I know how much you have agonised over this for quite some while now and it not been at all easy. you have tried really hard to find a solution. I don't think you could have done any more - and there has to come a time when you say that you have done all you can.

Hugs to you Jules.
And I hope you are able to find a great home for Ruby
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you all so much for your support, it has been a year now and with no improvment in sight, how long do we go on for?

I dont want to get to the point where i resent Ruby, i love her with all my heart and the tears are already flowing, i feel i have completely failed her and i dont deserve to keep her
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
You have not failed Ruby, you have tried your very best, and there are some instincts that are so inbred that you cannot change them. My heart goes out to you and the decision that you have have had to make, but it is all for the best and I am sure you will find Ruby a good home. Hugs to you and Ruby from me, Morgan and Blue. xxxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Really sorry Jules, it's the risk you took with getting a dog at an older age not brought up with cats and most of us know how hard you tried with her and the cats. D will be fine and Ruby will be fine and the cats will have a much better quality of life but I do feel for you hun and of course Mia. My son is 5 and he would be torn to shreds if in the same position, you must really feel for Mia too as it will be hard for her to fully comprehend why it can't just be fixed at that age bless her.

I do agree with you rehoming Ruby and not the cats. Ruby and D will both be just fine in time.

Best of luck.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Janet M View Post
You have not failed Ruby, you have tried your very best, and there are some instincts that are so inbred that you cannot change them. My heart goes out to you and the decision that you have have had to make, but it is all for the best and I am sure you will find Ruby a good home. Hugs to you and Ruby from me, Morgan and Blue. xxxx
Thank you

Originally Posted by random View Post
Really sorry Jules, it's the risk you took with getting a dog at an older age not brought up with cats and most of us know how hard you tried with her and the cats. D will be fine and Ruby will be fine and the cats will have a much better quality of life but I do feel for you hun and of course Mia. My son is 5 and he would be torn to shreds if in the same position, you must really feel for Mia too as it will be hard for her to fully comprehend why it can't just be fixed at that age bless her.

I do agree with you rehoming Ruby and not the cats. Ruby and D will both be just fine in time.

Best of luck.

Thanks Kel

It seems only the people that have cats understand where i am coming from, those that dont seem to think the dogs are more important, i'm afraid i just dont see it like that, i love my cats, they are very sociable and love to be cuddled and they deserve to feel safe in their own home.

Mia is finding it hard to really understand but she has seen Ruby chase the cats and corner the cats and she has screamed her head off thinking Ruby has hurt them so i think she does realise that it cant go on, she is being very brave and we will sob together when the time comes.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >