Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
My dogs are all neutered anyway...i think its the responsible thing to do, so the answer is yes i would.
Me too..........
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by jannie View Post
When i rehomed Bruno i thought that he would of been neutered,especially the type of dog he was.But he wasn't,and i was not asked to do so.But the money i paid for him should of include,a first injection an being neutered.If i had a bitch and had no intentions of showing.Then i would more than likely have her done.This is why i went to the dogs home in the first place instead of buying a pup.Now i wish i had bought a pup.But i won't incourage back street breeders who just do it for money.My boxer x is a male an my lurcher Gype is a male,So at the moment don.t have that problem.
Sadly many people who have been to this commercial pound go away with a bad impression of rescue, when in-fact they're not a rescue but a LTD business.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't neuter my current dogs (if they were entire) but would be happy to have any rescue dog neutered/spayed.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Got a private message the past 2 days about Bruno.I would like to state Bruno came from Leighs dogs and cats home.I have just found out they have been to court and it was originally called Animal Sanctuary.It is a commercial pound not a rescue.I would like to thank this friend for informing me.Bruno was put to sleep,I am sorry to say.It was heart breaking.My vet doesn't like putting dogs to sleep,he is there to help animals.But on his advice i had my Bruno put to sleep.It turned out he was not full irish staff but had pitbull in him.The b......s should never rehomed him because he should of gone through vigorous testing.Which he hadn't.I was asked to take the case further.I didn't want to because it wouldn't bring my bru back.But i am having second thoughts about it.I have been told that if i knew half of what went on at Leighs.I don't know the story about this place but i am going to look in to the place,and then decide what to do.I will keep yous informed.Once again thank you for this infomation,i am very gratefull.Thank you.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Got a private message the past 2 days about Bruno.I would like to state Bruno came from Leighs dogs and cats home.I have just found out they have been to court and it was originally called Animal Sanctuary.It is a commercial pound not a rescue.I would like to thank this friend for informing me.Bruno was put to sleep,I am sorry to say.It was heart breaking.My vet doesn't like putting dogs to sleep,he is there to help animals.But on his advice i had my Bruno put to sleep.It turned out he was not full irish staff but had pitbull in him.The b......s should never rehomed him because he should of gone through vigorous testing.Which he hadn't.I was asked to take the case further.I didn't want to because it wouldn't bring my bru back.But i am having second thoughts about it.I have been told that if i knew half of what went on at Leighs.I don't know the story about this place but i am going to look in to the place,and then decide what to do.I will keep yous informed.Once again thank you for this infomation,i am very gratefull.Thank you.

The trouble is the joe publics arent informed of the diffrence between staffs and irish staff, commonly known as pitbulls and so when they want a staff but can only afford irish staffs there being sold dangerous dogs, and maybe once the dog will turn, but maybe it wont who will take the risk with a family if they know the truth, but in essence any dog is dangerous in the wrong hands, and the rescue centers and rspca's and uspca's need to get it right if they want the public on there side.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2007, 04:50 PM
You poor thing What a terrible thing to have to go through. Yes you're right Leigh isn't a rescue and got into alot of trouble for trying to pass themselves off as one. I hope you manage to get some answers.

I understand why rescues only want to rehome their dogs to households that agree with neutering
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I am appalled about you having to have your dog PTS, I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through It is appalling they tried to masquerade as a rescue centre

With regards to the topic - No I wouldn't neuter Marius. I agree with Sal and Muddiwarx, I show him therefore he has remained entire.

I would have no problem in spaying/neutering the rescue dog though - and think it is nonsense of any centre to place such restrictions on people who wish to offer a dog a home. Surely if you are a responsible owner, offering a great, permanent home and the rescue has no chance of breeding (ie: they will be spayed/neutered) then what is the problem? I would have thought there were precious few homes being offered as it is without placing ridiculous constraints like this on people!
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Apologies if this is dragging up a dead thread but I've only just caught up with it.

Could somebody explain why rescues only wish to rehome to a household where the existing dogs are all neutered?

Do they consider that people with un-neutered dogs are unsuitable, and if so on what basis?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Ours are neutered anyway. But rescues seem to insist on this now-a-days? presume this says to them that your a responsiable owner and not allow your dog to breed /unwanted pups by getting out and roaming etc.,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Whenever I`ve rehomed a rescue dog I`ve had to sign a no breeding agreement, which is fine and absolutely right. This I suspect is what the Rescues are worried about. However, I feel the neutering of any animal should be based on what is best for that animal. I `m sure, for instance, an elderly un-neutered resident male need not be neutered before a spayed bitch was rehomed there. If problems arose, fine, but neutering on principle seems a bit draconian.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >