Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post

Would it have been acceptable if Jessica had her pts then?
I wish i hadn't bothered going to the effort of typing out that last post, Spot's quote has said it all for me. Its ok for someone to KILL a perfectly healthy dog but not to rehome them to a more suitable life??? Dawn YOU disgust me!!!!

I would never, ever condone anyone murdering a dog because they no longer want to keep it!! We ensured the happy, healthy future of our dog and frankly do not care much for any of your opinions if that is really how you feel people should treat their dogs.

I wish i hadn't wasted my time arguing my point
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I doubt that many homes could be found if all 10,000 odd racing greyhounds that come out of racing each year were kept alive. They have trouble rehoming the ones they get as it is. It isn't an ideal situation but greyhounds aren't the number one most popular breed.
However, to me, if you are just a hobby breeder/shower then surely any dog you buy is more than just something to win prizes or make babies with?
Becky
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I'm now at a complete loss as to why you bought Amber in the first place if it wasn't a breed you intended to go into anyway.
Becky
Huh?? I think you've misunderstood my post, sorry.

I HAD intended to go into the breed and we bought a dog from an imported father in the hopes of having some new blood in the country. We had Amber passported to take overseas to mate to again bring new blood into the UK toller breeding programme. I had really hoped to be able to add something positive to the breed which i love very much. Unfortunately, Amber was not of the quality that overseas stud dog owners would allow to be mated by their dogs (understandable and i agree!) and i saw no point adding to the already increasing amount of English bred puppies with a dog which was not good enough quality.

I did very much plan to get into the breed but the only way we could have done anything would have been to import several dogs and set up a proper breeding programme. Unfortunately i just dont have the money for that (as im sure very few people do with the cost of importing a dog, and getting the breeders/owners to keep them for ten months it would cost a small fortune!!) if i did it would definately be somehting i'd look into, but im afraid its just not an option.

We had very high hopes for little Amber and its not at all her fault she didnt fulfill them, but she is now more than fulfilling her potential as a working dog
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I doubt that many homes could be found if all 10,000 odd racing greyhounds that come out of racing each year were kept alive. They have trouble rehoming the ones they get as it is. It isn't an ideal situation but greyhounds aren't the number one most popular breed.
However, to me, if you are just a hobby breeder/shower then surely any dog you buy is more than just something to win prizes or make babies with?
Becky
Im sorry, but i dont buy that. Surely we should TRY to rehome as many of them as possible rather than say that they're just not a popular enough breed to bother with so kill them I for one do have some real issues with that attitude. Maybe rescue centres would have to put some to sleep, but better than than let the owners do it their own ways, which we all know aren't entirely humane
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Please note Posting Guidelines rule 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 as these address conduct in discussions. Offending posts will be deleted shortly - please do not respond to them.

This thread is getting personal, please keep to the original topic and general rather than personal comments.

Thank you.

The topic is...
Would you consider someone a Good Breeder if they always (or nearly always) rehome their older stock once their breeding/showing days are over, even if they fulfil other aspects of what's deemed a good breeder?
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
We sell our puppies to "strangers". I personally could not do it because I get far too attached but I have many friends in my breed that do and they are not heartless, money grabbers. I'm talking about people that take one litter or possibly two from their bitches so unlikely to have made money over and above their expenses. They are breeding to continue their line and have the next generation to show for it but maybe do not have the facilities to keep large numbers or perhaps feel the loss of individual attention is not fair to them all.
My breed settles well where ever they have a human to love and as they are sold with the same contract as a puppy ie life time support and a pledge to take back if the homing fails I don't see it can be discribed as any less ethical than selling the surplus puppies.
What is your breed sorry if you stated it im just being nosey no reason for asking other than that , im just a nosey beek
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I suppose this question also hinges on what one regards as a good breeder in the first place. Personally, although I could not do it, I am perfectly happy with a large breeder who has state of the art kennels, an excellent kennel staff & breeds & shows the best of quality, but in this situation I think the breeder who when a dog has retired from regular showing & finished having litters is found a good pet home where they can have a one to one relationship with a person & live in a house is totally ethical. When my dogs have had a problem which meant they could not be shown I have kept them here but that is because they are pets first live in the house & showing, breeding is secondary. This is not the case with many of the big kennels.These dogs are not pets they are loved worked, shown etc but this is different from a one to one pet relationship. When they are no longer being shown why should they have to stay in the kennels even though they are being exersised, fed watered by the staff I feel they deserve more & if the owner can put the dog's wellbeing before her need to own that particular dog, I say well done for putting the dog first & finding it a great home to live in.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Of course I'll excuse you :smt001
Not it's not about puppies but it was mentioned about selling to strangers and that is what we do with puppies so I can't really see the difference

You can't see the difference between a puppy that has spent around 8wks with you being sold to strangers.. or a dog that has spent years and years with you providing you with pups to sell to strangers all the while loving and looking up to you only to be passed to strangers when its of no use any more..

You honestly can't see a difference in that?????
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 03:09 PM
This will be a perenial problem to the small hobby breeder who the public like to buy from these days. The temptation could be great to breed from a lessor and lessor quality bitch who has had some sort of placings at show because of a reluctance or inability to keep her plus another that might prove to be a better prospect plus all the still living generations before. I don't think this is of great value to the breed or those that buy the breed in the future as pets. In modern day life if you narrow it down to all those that have the facilities for large numbers you are norrowing down the number of ethical breeders from good quality show stock even further opening the market up even more for the less ethical breeder something my breed is already plagued with.
I think a breeder who keeps all their foundation stock until the day they die is worth a million of the people who call themselves breeders and pass on the dogs when they are no longer bringing in money
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
and we had a list of people wanting Amber puppies. We could have easily sold her puppies with people being fully aware of her faults. They certainly did not make her offspring hard to sell in anyway, but it would have made breeding from her unethical IMO.
Now that baffles me..

You rehomed her when she was 10 months yet you had a list of people wanting her pups!!!!!!!

WHY do people feel the need to breed from every dog they have??

Have you been in the breed for years or was she your first?? I assume from whats been said she was your first yet you were determined to breed from her..

I wish people would get to know their breed before rushing into breeding them!!!
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »