Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Got to agree here.
Not an appropriate comment for a 'dog lover's forum.
We all have our fav breeds, but to say some of our dogs aren't dog because they're small?!
Yes i totally agree with that. We obviously all have our favourite breeds but i wouldnt go and slate another breed, especially because of size, i found this rather offensive. I love all dogs as do many of you do on here. Please just be more considerate with your comments in future
WelshWoofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Got to agree here.
Not an appropriate comment for a 'dog lover's forum.
We all have our fav breeds, but to say some of our dogs aren't dog because they're small?!
Well let me rephrase to settle any ruffled feathers. Toy breeds are obviously genus canine, they just don't fit my personal ideas of what makes a dog.

We're all entitled to our opinions on dogs - if you have a toy breed I'm sure it brings you joy and you love it. Me, I don't tend to be drawn by anything smaller than a Westie for practical reasons as well as asthetic preferences (I stood on a tiny jack russell whilst playing pool in our local pub a few weeks ago simply because I'd not even noticed it there - the poor thing wasn't very happy, but there wasn't a great deal I could have done to avoid it as I wasn't even aware of the presence of a dog in the pub).

Everyone has their preferences and sometimes a thicker skin is needed. I'm well aware that lots of people can't stand big dogs and I've had a lot of people tell me to my face that they can't stand Mastiffs - I don't blame them either, they don't suit everyone as they're total drool machines and can clear a coffee table with one sweep of their tails. Their opinion doesn't bother me though, it's horses for courses isn't it - we all have our breed (or size) likes and dislikes.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by WelshWoofs View Post
Well let me rephrase to settle any ruffled feathers. Toy breeds are obviously genus canine, they just don't fit my personal ideas of what makes a dog.

We're all entitled to our opinions on dogs - if you have a toy breed I'm sure it brings you joy and you love it. Me, I don't tend to be drawn by anything smaller than a Westie for practical reasons as well as asthetic preferences (I stood on a tiny jack russell whilst playing pool in our local pub a few weeks ago simply because I'd not even noticed it there - the poor thing wasn't very happy, but there wasn't a great deal I could have done to avoid it as I wasn't even aware of the presence of a dog in the pub).

Everyone has their preferences and sometimes a thicker skin is needed. I'm well aware that lots of people can't stand big dogs and I've had a lot of people tell me to my face that they can't stand Mastiffs - I don't blame them either, they don't suit everyone as they're total drool machines and can clear a coffee table with one sweep of their tails. Their opinion doesn't bother me though, it's horses for courses isn't it - we all have our breed (or size) likes and dislikes.

IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I can see WelshWoofs point.

I don't particularly like most small breeds of dog. That is, I would never choose to own one.

I can see, however, why people like them, and can also see why people may not want a large breed dog as well.

I wouldn't say, however, that
they just don't fit my personal ideas of what makes a dog.
They are all dogs, some are small, some are huge. Some are very hairy and some aren't. Some have huge waggy tails and some don't. Some have floppy ears and drooly jowls, others have perky ears and pointed muzzles.

Obviously, everyone has breeds that they like/don't like, or would like to own etc. we just have to bear in mind that whilst, e.g. I love Boxers, someone who owns a Papillion may hate Boxers.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I can see WelshWoofs point.

I don't particularly like most small breeds of dog. That is, I would never choose to own one.

I can see, however, why people like them, and can also see why people may not want a large breed dog as well.

I wouldn't say, however, that

They are all dogs, some are small, some are huge. Some are very hairy and some aren't. Some have huge waggy tails and some don't. Some have floppy ears and drooly jowls, others have perky ears and pointed muzzles.

Obviously, everyone has breeds that they like/don't like, or would like to own etc. we just have to bear in mind that whilst, e.g. I love Boxers, someone who owns a Papillion may hate Boxers.
I dont have a problem with what breeds or size of dog that people prefer, its how that put their opinion across. What you said doesnt bother me in the slightest but when someone says a dog is not a dog because of its size that gets me mad. Of course its still a dog, its got four paws, a wet nose and a furry coat so please do not tell me my Minnie is any less of a dog because she is small
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Dogs and that's ALL DOGS are a gift to be loved. Who are we to judge what makes a dog or not. There is not one dog that I can't stand, because I'm a dog lover and love the fact that there is a dog out there for everyone. That is a great thing and there's is always a breed or size of dog to suit everyone.
I have BC's but I won't be able to have them when I get to a certain age as I will not have the energy to keep up with them. I won't have the strength to have a big dog either. So what's left the smaller dog. Small physically but certainly not small personality wise. That is just one example
(not saying that all small dog owners are past it by the way)
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Dogs and that's ALL DOGS are a gift to be loved. Who are we to judge what makes a dog or not. There is not one dog that I can't stand, because I'm a dog lover and love the fact that there is a dog out there for everyone. That is a great thing and there's is always a breed or size of dog to suit everyone.
I have BC's but I won't be able to have them when I get to a certain age as I will not have the energy to keep up with them. I won't have the strength to have a big dog either. So what's left the smaller dog. Small physically but certainly not small personality wise. That is just one example
(not saying that all small dog owners are past it by the way)
At last some sense! Id like to know if those who slate small dogs have actually ever owned a small dog? They may be small in size but boy their personalities make up for it. I feel i have to fight their corner on this one as i know lots of small dogs as well as larger breeds (my uncle has a mastif and my sister has a gsd) and i love them all the same. Yes i choose to own a small dog and am proud that she is small. She is definately all dog in my eyes
Doggies4Evers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I love how you wrote that. Need to catch up on everyones posts.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5