View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Well I worked for Axa Insurance years ago (not pet) and although they give good value for money, as a business they don't know their a**e from their elbow!

Funny but I (apparently) took out pet insurance with M&S a few weeks ago due to start on the 18th, but have yet to recieve my documents! Was going to complain but I think I might check my bank statement and go elsewhere now.
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2006, 11:14 AM
I was going to renew with M&S next month but I'm not sure whether to bother now reading this. They want to charge me £111 for Snoop (Lab X 3yrs old neutered) and £120 for Honey (my new Leo X pup). I dont suppose these are bad prices for them but Snoop was only costing me £7 a month last year with M&S and I havent claimed! Not as much as some of you are paying I know, but for someone who lives alone and has to juggle everything, an extra few pounds here and there does make a difference.

I have however, just done a quote online with Halifax (who also do the life cover!) and they cover £6k per illness for life and its £159 per year.

Just something to think about...
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Well I worked for Axa Insurance years ago (not pet) and although they give good value for money, as a business they don't know their a**e from their elbow!

Funny but I (apparently) took out pet insurance with M&S a few weeks ago due to start on the 18th, but have yet to recieve my documents! Was going to complain but I think I might check my bank statement and go elsewhere now.
It takes ages for the paperwork to come through, mine did if you've changed your mind cancel it because they're not as slow taking the money as they are getting your documents to you!!!
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I didnt have a problem with my documents, they arrived less than a week later... in fact I've not had any issues with them at all. I phoned this morning to change something and ask a few questions and they were fine, got through straight away and they were only to happy to help me. I think I may be in the minority though according to most of the comments on here.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
It takes ages for the paperwork to come through, mine did if you've changed your mind cancel it because they're not as slow taking the money as they are getting your documents to you!!!
The thing is the policy was due to start on the 18th, but no money has been taken? Plus I have no email notification saved which is very stange? And to be honest after looking around M&S are still the cheapest for me (especially with the no excess thingy) even though the price has gone up by £4 a month.
Think I might give them a ring and see if anything is on their systems, but knowing AXA I may be there for sometime!
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Well, I did mine this morning with M&S online - after checking some other quotes they are also cheapest by far for me too! I set up online an got a confirmation email about an hour afterwards so it worked ok for me. Paperwork should arrive within 10 days apparently...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2006, 08:02 AM
My god, just checked this out, Rio is currently insured with m&s mainly due to recommendations on here at £172.41 for the year on renewal it would be £622.19 they can not be serious. I have never made any claims. Syd is insured with 1st quote for £167.15 with no increase this year, so when hers is up for renewal will insure her with them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2006, 07:25 AM
As some of you may know I did a quote through M&S a couple of weeks ago for when Ollies pet plan insurance runs out (free 6 weeks ) from breeder.I was quoted just over £700 for a 13 week old puppy.I shopped around and went with Virgin money and got a good price £239.35 £60x/s
we get £6000 worth of cover for each and every condition.
My paperwork arrived within a week even though it doesn't start till September and the Girl I spoke to knew what she was talking about very reassuring.You also get helpline numbers for nearest vets etc., for when you are away on your hols.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2006, 07:40 AM
That's a long-winded way of saying that they've had to pay out more in claims than they've collected in premiums. Therefore they have had to put the premiums up or go out of business. Its not unreasonable and I think we can expect other insurance companies to follow. The real problem is the size of vets' bills these days.

Am I right in thinking that M & S pet insurance is a fairly new thing? It may well be that they simply did not do their sums properly in the first place and underquoted everybody. That would explain the huge price rises and also why they were so cheap to start with. From what I have heard most other companies already charge more than M & S do so it could be just that they are panicking and trying to get their losses back from this year and the premiums for next year all in one go. I don't see why others would hike their prices by such a huge amount. Petplan go by postcodes and certain breeds cost more; Bernese Mountain Dog, Bulldog, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Deerhound, Estrela Mountain Dog, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, Leonberger, All Mastiff breeds, Newfoundland, Old English Sheep Dog, Dogue de Bordeaux, Rottweiler, St Bernard, Beauceron, these are all petplans "select breeds" and they cost an extra £6.25 a month on the premium as apparently they cost more in veterinary care? (can't see boxers anywhere?) If M & S have not taken this into account when quoting people it would explain a lot!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad
Am I right in thinking that M & S pet insurance is a fairly new thing? It may well be that they simply did not do their sums properly in the first place and underquoted everybody. That would explain the huge price rises and also why they were so cheap to start with. From what I have heard most other companies already charge more than M & S do so it could be just that they are panicking and trying to get their losses back from this year and the premiums for next year all in one go. I don't see why others would hike their prices by such a huge amount. Petplan go by postcodes and certain breeds cost more; Bernese Mountain Dog, Bulldog, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Deerhound, Estrela Mountain Dog, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, Leonberger, All Mastiff breeds, Newfoundland, Old English Sheep Dog, Dogue de Bordeaux, Rottweiler, St Bernard, Beauceron, these are all petplans "select breeds" and they cost an extra £6.25 a month on the premium as apparently they cost more in veterinary care? (can't see boxers anywhere?) If M & S have not taken this into account when quoting people it would explain a lot!
That's most likely the reason, AXA have made this mistake before with car and home insurance. They're not necessarily greedy, just a bit low on the intelligence front.

Thankfully my policy came through in the end, with the original price quoted. I checked earlier and my premium has gone up by £4 a month, so hopefully it won't get any worse than that!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >