View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:17 PM
ps when I say the poeple who get savaged, I'm not blaming a dog breed, just lack of training.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
I agree pita, in an ideal world that's how it would be, but not everyone watches the news or reads the paper or thinks about what a dog involves let alone researching their breed. It's so sad for the dogs (and the people who get savaged). The only way forward is education.
Wish I thought people were that naive; think most of the time people buy APBTs or APBT look-alikes because of what they are not because they are ignorant of the situation. There may be a few who are not told what they are getting but most know and are happy to tell you what a hard dog they have.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Pita
Wish I thought people were that naive; think most of the time people buy APBTs or APBT look-alikes because of what they are not because they are ignorant of the situation. There may be a few who are not told what they are getting but most know and are happy to tell you what a hard dog they have.
They will tell you that Pita and some are aware, but others...yes, want a dog for the image, but truly haven't got a clue about the DDA. I've met enough of them to know...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Think I have said that there may well be silly people who impulse buy a puppy and may be sold a banned dog unknowingly but as these dogs sell for inflated prices I am doubtful.

However you do not unknowingly breed pure breed APBT without knowing full well what you are doing.

Find me someone who does not know it is against the law to drink and drive and you may have found someone who does not know about the DDA. To not know you would have to have no interest in dogs, not be able to read, be deaf, and never look at the TV. There is an answer to give people who say they don't know but I would not be allowed to use it on here.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2006, 11:08 AM
A quick test (without looking )
what is the drink drive law in the UK?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 11:44 AM
If you have got any sense you don't, bit like buying or owning banned dogs.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
If you have got any sense you don't, bit like buying or owning banned dogs.
I totally agree, I think the law should be no drink and driving, however the law is actually 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. Despite all the millions of pounds the government spend on advertising up to 8 of 10 people are confused. Anyway back to the dogsJ

I think the DDA law is wrong and needs changing as not only are they banning “pitbulls” but also pitbull “TYPES”, to me this is the most worrying aspect. As it leaves it open to interpretation, We have an American Bulldog which has not been banned, however if I wanted to import one into this country I would run the risk of it being destroyed just because someone at customs deemed it to be a “pitbull type”. As the law stands you’re guilty until proven innocent, which can be a lot more difficult than it sounds
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Don't think if we agree with the law or not has anything to do with it, owning a dog that is on the DDA list or has been bred to resemble a dog on the DDA list is against the law and IMO the law, how every much we disagree with it, should be obeyed.

Mind you some of those I have met owning dogs that are subject to the DDA have only themselves to blame if they find their dogs in trouble, it is not up to me to say if it is due to a lack of brain cells or a desire to break the law. As to the ‘type clause’ it seems daft but when you see the number of crossbreeds that have been bred, it seems, to take the place of a APBT to act as a guard, gonad replacement or to be used as a weapon, then perhaps this clause was necessary.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2006, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Pita]Don't think if we agree with the law or not has anything to do with it, owning a dog that is on the DDA list or has been bred to resemble a dog on the DDA list is against the law and IMO the law, how every much we disagree with it, should be obeyed.

QUOTE]

American Bulldogs were bred a long time before pitbulls, therefore I don't see how you could breed them to resemble pitbulls,

That’s the problem “some of those I have met owning dogs that are subject to the DDA” It’s a minority of brain dead thugs – not the dogs or responsible owners.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I did not mention Am Bulldogs, as Am. Bulldogs do not appear on the AKC list I have no idea what they should look like or why they are bred and as I have never met any either I refrain from commenting. Don’t know why they have been bought into the thread unless they are considered to be of APBT type but as I said, never met one so no opinion.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >