Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Excellent... well done
I guess there's a few of us that cold benefit from a run around the park as well!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
He's loving it! I've had to buy another ball on a rope though, he chewed through the last one

Any tips on meeting other dogs? He loves saying hello but gets a bit carried away and doesn't know I'm there. I have to drag him away
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Mmmmm... I have a different problem, in that she's a bit aloof with other dogs (mind you she had a bad experience or two when she was smaller with dogs going for her) but always wants everyone in the park to throw her ball!
She's a people dog!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Benji's certainly a dogs' dog, he doesn't like anyone touching him, he's not nasty, he just hides behind me. He started this when he was about 5 months old, I have no idea why. The only "stranger" he will go up to always has a treat for him so he knows he's safe with her Mind you, she's still not allowed too much contact
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Benji's Mum
He's loving it! I've had to buy another ball on a rope though, he chewed through the last one

Any tips on meeting other dogs? He loves saying hello but gets a bit carried away and doesn't know I'm there. I have to drag him away
Get him a little brother or sister!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd love to but x2 vet bills? No thanks
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I'd love to but x2 vet bills? No thanks
Tell me about it. Had Isla barely 1 week and she's already cost me £26!
whistle
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi,

If your dog will not eat without you adding things to the diet surley this is a good thing!!!

If your dog is over-weight he does not need to eat, he needs to loose weight and by adding things to his food you are encouraging him to over eat.

The average weight for an english cocker is 13 - 15 KG if your dog is 30kg he is twice the weight he should be.

I would suggest cutting out ALL treats and tit-bits and feeding raw vegetables as treat alternatives. I would then suggest getting a low fat complete diet to put your dog on to help him loose weight and remember if he doesn't eat it he is not hungry.

More exercise will also help. 1 hour off lead running would be fine but because he is on a lead you should try maybe 1 and a half hours per day.

If you could teach him to retrieve a half hour game of ball is like 1 hour off lead running.

Hope something helps
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi, thanks for your interesting email. I'd just like to say, Benji weighed 25KG a couple of weeks ago, he now weighs 22KG so he's doing great By the way, he is a Working Cocker, should they be a little heavier than a Show Cocker as they are bigger?

I am now letting him off his lead and he is zooming about using plenty of energy. He's always ready for his dinner at night which I don't think is too much for him (half a tin of Winalot, a cup of mixer and some veggies). He does get a couple of treats a day when he earns them.

Thanks for all the support!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi, thanks for your interesting email. I'd just like to say, Benji weighed 25KG a couple of weeks ago, he now weighs 22KG so he's doing great By the way, he is a Working Cocker, should they be a little heavier than a Show Cocker as they are bigger?

I am now letting him off his lead and he is zooming about using plenty of energy. He's always ready for his dinner at night which I don't think is too much for him (half a tin of Winalot, a cup of mixer and some veggies). He does get a couple of treats a day when he earns them.

Thanks for all the support!
That's great news well done you!

You've probably added years to his life already.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >