register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Age of perfect recall (allowed off lead)
3-4 months 25 58.14%
5-6 months 4 9.30%
7-8 months 3 6.98%
9-10 months 2 4.65%
11-12 months 2 4.65%
1 year - 2 years 2 4.65%
2 years - 3 years 0 0%
Still on lead 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I would always have your lead at hand Natalie, Just in case
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I have always practiced recalls from play at puppy classes and while on walks.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by trouble21
Exactly, the idea is to eventually be able to get them to come back what ever the distraction

So how can i get her to 'come' when she is busy eating cat poo ???

petstalk - i do keep lead handy, im not that silly
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
So how can i get her to 'come' when she is busy eating cat poo ???

petstalk - i do keep lead handy, im not that silly
Simple you could stop her from eating it in the first place when she is on a lead so the temptation isnt there

Then you start with a leave it command in the house then work from there, but be patient and remember she is a baby
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
Simple you could stop her from eating it in the first place when she is on a lead so the temptation isnt there

Then you start with a leave it command in the house then work from there, but be patient and remember she is a baby

I try the 'leave it' and i end up tugging her away from it, but she is addicted to it! As soon as she is off lead i cant really do a lot to stop her apart from kicking it away, then she'll just linger round that area for ages... I think its really upsetting her tummy though, we had another night of constant diarreah (sp)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
I try the 'leave it' and i end up tugging her away from it, but she is addicted to it! As soon as she is off lead i cant really do a lot to stop her apart from kicking it away, then she'll just linger round that area for ages... I think its really upsetting her tummy though, we had another night of constant diarreah (sp)

Little darlings. Cat poo is just sooooo tempting. YUK. Same as you do with anything Nats. She has to be given no option, sorry i sound like a broken record. Practice with her on the lead around the cat poo. I use the command drop it if she already has it in her mouth, as opposed to leave it, when she is just thinking about it. Have your clicker on your wrist and something just as tempting in your hand. We use liver cake, the garlic makes it irresistable. If she ignores the leave it command, As soon as she picks it up, say drop it in a stern and deep voice, grab her by the scruff of the neck if necessary. As soon as she drops it click and treat. I wouldn't kick it away, i would collect it in one area and lead her into temptation so to speak, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Have you tried the rattle bottle mentioned before at all yet?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
Little darlings. Cat poo is just sooooo tempting. YUK. Same as you do with anything Nats. She has to be given no option, sorry i sound like a broken record. Practice with her on the lead around the cat poo. I use the command drop it if she already has it in her mouth, as opposed to leave it, when she is just thinking about it. Have your clicker on your wrist and something just as tempting in your hand. We use liver cake, the garlic makes it irresistable. If she ignores the leave it command, As soon as she picks it up, say drop it in a stern and deep voice, grab her by the scruff of the neck if necessary. As soon as she drops it click and treat. I wouldn't kick it away, i would collect it in one area and lead her into temptation so to speak, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Have you tried the rattle bottle mentioned before at all yet?

No i will get a bottle sorted for tonight, and give this a go, thanks for the advice, again, trouble!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I know how trying the little darlings can be, went through all this last year with Sydney. I must be a glutton for punishment. I think he is an angel now but god he tried my patience at times. He has taught me to think much more laterally though especially at adolescence, i was expecting it, but you know they know what your saying at that age and just trying it on. Be consistant and persistant. Even when they crack me up with their antics they still have to know i mean what i say.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 01:50 PM
We were lucky we had a park with an enclosed tennis court so we could let her off lead in there and practice recall with her without the fear of her bolting! Still remember the first day we let her off lead on the beach. My heart was in my mouth when I watched that little tail go off into the distance!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Just took Isochick's Boxer pup out for a walk and let him off lead (without Isochick being there), and he was great
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >