register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should Sex and Relationships Education be compulsary in Schools?
Yes 32 94.12%
No 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Honesty
I run by the theory "when they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to know", that was my dada theory on the subject, I asked when I was 5 and got a frank, down to earth exlpination about just what happens etc and drawings about the sperms and eggs, and how that makes babies too, and that people are just animals and all animals make babies in one way or another etc.

My daughter asked me "what is sex? Is it kissing?" she was 4, I told her what sex was, she said "it's a good job I hate boys then". We then talked about how children do not have sex because they are not grown up enough, and how it can hurt them very badly for the rest of their lives, and that if anyone trys to do anything like that to her, she is to tell me. Her response "if they do try to have sex at me, I will kick them in the shins".

Last year, she was 7, she asked "if, mummy, say I was 15, and got pregnant, would you disown me, or would you still be my friend" I said I would be disapionted as she knows that I wouldn't want her having sex that young, and without using protection.. "condoms" she shouts.. I said yes.. then it would be hard, and I might shout, but I will always love her, no matter what. She responded with "well, I still hate boys, I think I should be GAY, then I won't get pregnant, like your friend mummy, she's gay, isn't she, she has a girlfriend, and they don't have babies, so that seems like a good idea. And I still hate boys." Well, it's up to you love, I will love you whatever you do.

LOL, A little information is a dangerous thing.
wow,, i love your aproach

i plan to be the same with my kids and tell them what they need to know as early as they ask the questions, love your attitude to the whole thing, if only everyone could be so positive about the subject
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2006, 10:54 AM
AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW, look at the size of him...(he is a him isn't he, I know it upset me when everyone thought Katie was a boy)..

I think that nowadays it's easier to be frank and open with your kids from the start, that way they don't get a huge wakeup call in years to come.

You'll be a great mum, all you need is years of practice..LOL..I'm still working on it, but she's turned out alright so far.. She knows right and wrong, she does her own mucking out of her ponies, as I have made her learn responsability, and helps with show prep too with her ponies (thankfully), and looks after "her" dog really well. I think if you give them enough information about the things they need to know, but only when they are ready, then you are on to a winner. I'm one of 6, and have to say, not one of us has gone off the rails really, I had a slight de-tour in my teens, then a huge wakeup call put me back on track.

The worst thing is when you find yourself sounding like your parents... Most of the time, they were actually right...that's a hard thing to swallow...LOL
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Honesty
AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW, look at the size of him...(he is a him isn't he, I know it upset me when everyone thought Katie was a boy)..

I think that nowadays it's easier to be frank and open with your kids from the start, that way they don't get a huge wakeup call in years to come.

You'll be a great mum, all you need is years of practice..LOL..I'm still working on it, but she's turned out alright so far.. She knows right and wrong, she does her own mucking out of her ponies, as I have made her learn responsability, and helps with show prep too with her ponies (thankfully), and looks after "her" dog really well. I think if you give them enough information about the things they need to know, but only when they are ready, then you are on to a winner. I'm one of 6, and have to say, not one of us has gone off the rails really, I had a slight de-tour in my teens, then a huge wakeup call put me back on track.

The worst thing is when you find yourself sounding like your parents... Most of the time, they were actually right...that's a hard thing to swallow...LOL
yeah hes a he lol, he will be 2 weeks old monday

my almost 4 year old asked some questions when i was pregnant and i answered her as frankly as i could taking into consideration her age

i more or less brought my lil sis up from the age of 7, she is now almost 16 and she turned out ok, so im quite confident i will do ok with my 3, or i hope so anyway

i do sometimes find myself sounding like my mum though and that kinda scares me lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
yeah hes a he lol, he will be 2 weeks old monday

my almost 4 year old asked some questions when i was pregnant and i answered her as frankly as i could taking into consideration her age

i more or less brought my lil sis up from the age of 7, she is now almost 16 and she turned out ok, so im quite confident i will do ok with my 3, or i hope so anyway

i do sometimes find myself sounding like my mum though and that kinda scares me lol

i hope that si how my partner turns ou, i hate not ebing honest, even if it amkes me blunt soemtimes
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 10:55 PM
i think yes and thay should be told the down side to haveing unprotected sex
and that haveing kids does not mean you get a flat and live rent free like i was told by a 17 year old at work one day it was the only reson she was haveing a baby to get out of her perants house
sorry bit of a rant
but i do think kids should be told at school like i was .
nichola
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2006, 01:05 AM
My daughter is getting sex education at school and i think its great, she has been coming home with books leaflets and stuff which also makes my job of talking to her about sex a lot easier too. We have been discussing what she has learnt and as some kids and parents might get embarassed discussing the issues of sex my daughter has been very open about what she has learnt, and im glad they are teaching it to kids as young as ten because lets face the facts children are not children long and i know of one 12 year old who has just had a baby in my area.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5