View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hairybabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I took Missy to the vets yesterday. He said she is just par for the course for a Pomeranian/Spitz and that many just don't house train fully until they are a year or more. He says they are primative dogs with smaller bladders than dogs we have choice bred for centuries. More evolved breeds have larger bladders because people have favoured ones with no house training issues so bred more from them.

He also said her saving some wee is normal bitch behavour. Her hormones cause the desire to scent mark and she is approaching her first season, when scent marking instincts surge up to 2 weeks into the first season. It is apparently normal for bitches of her age to save some wee for this. Unfortunately she is using hers to get attention when the phone rings.

He suggested testing her by answering the phone. When she prpares to wee, pick her up and sit her on my lap and finish the call in a leisurely manner. Then put her down and watch how long before she shows signs of really needing to pee. I did that and it was another 3 hours! She was trying to pee 3 hours early, just to get my attention.

Anyway, he says she sounds like a textbook Pom to him. He says Pom behavour is quick learning and that what they learn is how to get what they want. They learn quicker because they are more primative nearer ancestors who had to mature quickly to survive. We have choice bred most non Spitz dogs to be puppy like for longer, thus they are less independant and modern dog develops mentally much slower than ancient dog which he says Spitz breeds are. He says the hunter gatherer dogs 6000 years ago were spitz types and they have not evolved far since which accounts for all their behavoural traits.

She is still lovely though. Perhaps I am a troglodite at heart!

P.S. Another dry night. Not letting her play frenzy for an hour before bed makes all the difference.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Wow. I'm impressed with your vet . Thats really useful imformation.
Glad to hear she has been dry another night .
Well done Missy.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2015, 12:01 PM
That must put your mind at rest alot Onwards and upwards then Good job
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5