Female  Gold Supporter 

18-12-2013, 04:26 PM
They are all secured now Linda I hope.
We had a few hairy experiences with cruisers when windy
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Yes securing boats when the weather is high winds is really hairy especially if you are on tidal waters like Breydon waters on the broads. You have to allow enough rope for the boat to drop as the tide drops or otherwise you end up on top of metal spikes along the run down to St. Olaves. Got tipped out of my bunk on my honeymoon. Lol.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Lynn and Moyra - But isn't it great?

We spent two weeks on the Shannon on our honeymoon and we towed a speedboat. I would love to go back there. We haven't though, what with Loki and less so, the kids. Can you imagine Loki in a lock, spotting a dog on a neighbouring boat? He has been in the speedboat though.

It is quite expensive too though. When we go to Ireland we do look into hiring a cruiser but the prices put us off, apart from Loki.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Evening all, just been watching that James Martin christmas cookery programme again, I love that programme with Brian Turner doing the turkey thing, they're such a laugh, I wish I could be there in the corner sipping me wine laughing with them

Thanks for clarifying that for me Malka.

Hi DD, sounds like you got a right old bargain there on eBay then! I love the travertine ones, and I keep going back to them, especially as this house has the Spanish theme going through it, which we've slowly destroyed inside, it'd be nice to bring it alive again in that bathroom. Blimey, I'm only talking 8ft x 8ft here, anyone would think it was huuuuge, but I just want it nice. Mind you anything will be nice compared to the terracotta suite it had in it! They do a lovely silver/grey travertine tile on the website I've saved, might take a look at those again, and samples have arrived of the previous ones I liked which I've now gone off of

Hi Jenny, oh that's not so good about your mum's test, but maybe they caught her on a bad day. I'm sure she's better on some days and not on others. Glad you've had some nice walks today with those boys, and yes, I'm trying to get her to come up the top with me, but as her husband says, she's reluctant to put her dogs in the disco for fear of them ruining it and because they don't like being in the car. I've often told him to just bring Soldier and we'll throw him in the back of my car with Zena and take him down the beach, but as of yet, it hasn't happened. The trouble is, walking is so easy for them, they live right down in the woods on the other side of my road, so all they have to do is step out of their garden at 5 am and walk through them. Be nice for the dogs to have a change of scenery though wouldn't it. I will keep trying with her though.

LOL Linda, the way things are going there, you'll be all worn out by Christmas I bet you've loving it

Must get some e-mails done I've been slacking. No June yet today? I do hope she's managed to get the electric up in the puppy palace and hasn't had to face another disaster indoors with those norty pups and Mabs.

Catch you all later then.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Ireland is great for holidays we took our gsd one year and he was kissing all the donkeys who kept putting their heads inside the car windows. Lol. Didn't go on the Shannon though as you say quite expensive to hire a boat. Used to own a 24ft cruiser and 80 hp outboard motor and had it moored at Beccles for a time. Great fun.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-12-2013, 04:59 PM
That must of been a shock Moyra.
Would never find me on a boat on tidal waters unless a qualified skipper was on board.
the boat Gorden and Michael are renting is on the no tidal Thames. All our boats were on non tidal waters too.

We did one day up end our boat almost in a lock. We were busy nattering waiting for it to empty and took or eye off the ropes and forgot to slacken them all of a sudden I turned and it was panic stations shutting the paddles slackening ropes and feet on on the lock side and the boat pushing it back up the right way before it started taking on water. We never did that again.
I wouldn't of minded we had owned boats for years too. So no excuses
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Moyra - You must have had some brilliant times in that cruiser. A real home-from-home.

Lynn - that is easily done actually.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes it was great fun it did end up after a bad storm bottomed that was on the river Crouch and we had to bail it out with the toilet bucket took a hell of a long time to get it out of the water before the next full tide and then of course she was brought home and had to be repaired and the 80hp outboard had to be stripped down and rebuilt, those were the days!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah I 'm here, been popping in and out. Have managed to saw a notch in the top of the door, couldn't saw the corner off because of the way its constructed, checked the cable fitted the notch and it did. Realised then that I'd left the chicken lamp in the living room, so will see if it works when I go out to feed the girlies in a bit. If it does then I will leave it on all night to warm the place up a bit.
In the meantime my friend with the OH has been on and he is going to ring me and find out what needs doing and he's coming over, which is so very good of him, its not the best time in the world to have me round their necks, they've got so much on and it isn't like when they just lived down the road anymore. She can't drive yet with her knee and is under house arrest, she was saying today though that she 'did a bit much' yesterday and wasn't well today. Turned out she'd put the Christmas Tree up and it had taken all day, well she will feel poorly after that, she never learns!!!
Got a decent walk in with the girls today thank goodness.
Have got the people for Lara Croft coming up from Norfolk tomorrow to meet her, so next task is to try and get the house looking OK. Youngest Son has bought me a 6' artificial tree with lights and stuff already on, because no way can I cope with a real one this year. My back's really sore again and at the moment am sat with my feet up having taken painkillers, ready for it to stop hurting,then I'm going to start again and bring the shopping in and put the tree up tonight, hoover round etc.
I'm going to have a catch up now, babies 6 weeks today, but not taken any piccies so far, but that will happen before midnight, I promise!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Evening June well done with the sawing if your stable door is anything like ours was its pretty solid.
Fingers crossed the lamp works. Try not to overdo it with your back.
Page 5 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »