Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Now here's a real example of a 'dominant dog' just look at her - head held high and laughing at us mere mortals" BellaZilla!
(Credit to the forum member who made this for me)

Wow!! That is " One Wild Dog!"
PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL!!!

Brilliant Image.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Wow!! That is " One Wild Dog!"
PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL!!!

Brilliant Image.
Isn't it! Can't remember who it was here that did that now. The original photo they used was (believe it or not) one of her lying on my bed! Well of course to me it looked as if she was just lying on my bed looking very happy but to the 'experts' she was probably displaying dominant behaviour of the very worst sort lol!
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Isn't it! Can't remember who it was here that did that now. The original photo they used was (believe it or not) one of her lying on my bed! Well of course to me it looked as if she was just lying on my bed looking very happy but to the 'experts' she was probably displaying dominant behaviour of the very worst sort lol!
I am SOoooo glad, i am Not an " Expert " arn't you?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
I am SOoooo glad, i am Not an " Expert " arn't you?
yes indeed! My blissful 'ignorance' of all this stuff seems to have served me (and my dogs) very well over the years!

Of course I could tell she was going to be trouble from day one really I mean just look at her then

Lording it on the sofa and hogging all the cushions and blankets! Not to mention that's one of my slippers she's nicked and stuffed away there. No doubt that was an early warning sign of her thinking 'she owned the place' lol!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi I would expect that the owner of the rotti will be wary and have his dog on a leash,you could also use distraction either clapping your hands or blowing a whistle,just to get your dog attention elsewhere,the other thing is to have a plastic bottle with stones,throw it on to the ground your dog will investigate.Gemini54 .
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I thought 'rattle bottles' were considered to be 'aversive' treatment and not well recommended. I wouldn't be doing anything to make my own dog MORE scared in the situation. It could trigger aggression in your own dog or the other one.

And I don't think you can 'assume' that the owner of the 'other dog' will make sure to keep them on a lead in future. You've no control over what others might do.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2013, 08:08 AM
yes indeed! My blissful 'ignorance' of all this stuff seems to have served me (and my dogs) very well over the years!

Of course I could tell she was going to be trouble from day one really I mean just look at her then

Lording it on the sofa and hogging all the cushions and blankets! Not to mention that's one of my slippers she's nicked and stuffed away there. No doubt that was an early warning sign of her thinking 'she owned the place' lol!
That is BEAUTIFUL!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I would expect that the owner of the rotti will be wary and have his dog on a leash,you could also use distraction either clapping your hands or blowing a whistle,just to get your dog attention elsewhere,the other thing is to have a plastic bottle with stones,throw it on to the ground your dog will investigate.Gemini54 .
No your dog will NOT investigate, the rattle bottle is an aversive' tool to use, its not meant to distract the dog its meant to punish the dog for the behaviour ..........

In other words the dog jumps , you don't want it to jump, so when it jumps, you smash the rattle bottle on the ground the noise from the bottle "frightens " the dog , hence it stops the behaviour...........

The danger in this is , said dog becomes frightened of loud noises , you replace one problem for another.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi In my household the rattle bottle represents high jinks,I have had the same one for some time,We got fed up of losing toys in the sea,so we use a plastic bottle with a rope in the top,the idea came from a message in the bottle,it doesnt disappear it just floats and the dogs go after it.We have other dogs not ours wanting to join in Branston a JR/Daschund cross,he just wanted to get it and kill it,he was the one that nearly disappeared into a big wave,but he came back to shore,carrying the bottle and he did try to kill it but got fed up and wanted it thrown back in the sea.So it depends what your dogs are conditioned to believe,ours see it as a toy not something scary Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I think the whole point of these 'rattle bottles' ever being used in the first place was to SCARE the DOG!

The fact that one of your dogs happened to like having a plastic bottle full on stones chucked down in front of it doesn't make it a good idea to recommend it to others when there is plenty of info out there advising AGAINST IT.

It's a very 'Cesar Millan' type of thing to do IMHO. You could end up making a dog scared of all loud noises.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >