View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 06:29 AM
For 11 years I lived in a house on an island in the middle of the River Thames which had no pedestrian access (only by boat) and I knew my last dog would have to be something small. Anything other than a small dog wouldn't fit our life style at that time as my children were young (6 and and everything we did involved boats - dinghies for access and a larger boat that we spent our holidays on cruising. We visited all the local rescue centres and even travelled up to London to Battersea but there were no small dogs available who could be re homed with younger children. Knowing that I was going to have to choose a dog I decided on a shaggy breed (which I love) and ended up getting my last little dog Cassie a Lhasa Apso. She was the most fantastic dog and fitted in perfectly with our then lifestyle and was small enough to shove under my arm of the many occasions it was necessary We had her for 15 wonderful years and for the last 7 years of her life she came on numerous driving holidays in our open topped vintage car.

My current dogs were planned. Well one was and I took his brother on a 'rescue' as he has a heart murmur. They are now 2 and are a work in progress
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Such lovely stories - I don't think I would have got such a response had the thread had been titled "how did you meet your partner" hah ha
Hi Maybe Baxter you should start an introduction agency with a differance,have a selection of dogs and then be a match maker and even plan weddings.Gemini54
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
For the last 20 years all of ours have been from one rescue or another.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by SusieL View Post
For the last 20 years all of ours have been from one rescue or another.
That's wonderful Susie. I've worked with the rescues but only ever had a dog from one (Battersea) many moons ago and, sadly, he had to be returned quite quickly because he was totally unsuitable for my family - did not like the baby AT ALL

I confess this experience made me very wary of taking a dog from a shelter even though I believe they make every effort these days to find out an honest history of them and find suitable homes accordingly.

My first dog (as a kid) was to save it from being drowned in a bucket along with the rest of the litter by the Welsh bloke next door (it wasn't unusual in the 50s for people to dispose of unwanted pups and kittens by drowning them).

Next one was taken from a pal who couldn't keep it (so I suppose it was really 'rescued' but they wouldn't have put it in a shelter.

Next was long term fostering for a pal. Next two from good breeders and my current one from the petshop (again a sort of a rescue really).

All my other animals, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, tortoise and even a budgie were from rescues or, in the case of the tortoise, to save it going to a rescue.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:09 PM
After trying all the rescue centres & being told that they had nothing suitable I went to a breeder for the first time, & felt guilty for ages.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
After trying all the rescue centres & being told that they had nothing suitable I went to a breeder for the first time, & felt guilty for ages.
Darcy - at my age and in my living circumstances nowadays it's very important that I have the type of dog that fits in and fits the bill for me. Twasn't always so when I was younger, fitter and stronger and had huge gardens and was off down the rivers, beaches or countryside every weekend and a growing family kept me more or less firmly anchored at home most of the time.

Must say I am a tad surprised at how few people have responded here saying they got their dogs from breeders. Considering how much discussion of breeders and breeding takes place here.

My first dog from a good breeder was a 'gift' from them to me as a thank you for fostering her mum long term previously. There's no way I would have sought one out or even known how to go about doing that.

The next one, I researched breeds for ages before deciding on which breed and, as I'd set my heart on a CKCS, then set about finding one with a good pedigree and history etc.

Doubt I'll ever be doing that again - doubt I'll ever be getting another dog again - current situation is - who will last longer - me or my dawg! Kids already argue about who's getting her when I pop my clogs!

Another thing that has always surprised me is how many pedigree breed dogs end up in 'breed rescues' assuming their former owners must have spent some time deciding on which dog to get and spent a fair few bob on buying one when they'd decided. Add to that the fact that I'm always reading that breeders will take their dogs back if things don't work out. It's not just mutts and staffies who end up in rescues by any means.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Quite literally found them!

Both my boys are ex-strays - we found Jake playing in the park, none of the dog walkers we knew, knew or recognised him (and we all kind of know each other by our dogs). We took him to the Police Station and reported him - the police said we could either have him taken to the pound or we could look after him until his owners came forward, the latter we did. We reported him to the Dog Warden. We put posters all round the town and we sent copies of our "Found" poster to all the local vets & pet shops. But no-one claimed Jake, and the police said after 1 month (I think, it was 8yrs ago now) we could either keep him or send him for re-homing. He's been with us ever since.

I found Jasper on my lunch break. I'd forgot my little netbook, and I needed it as I was going to our sister office that afternoon, so I decided to walk home at lunchtime to pick it up. At the time we lived on a very busy main road (one of the main ones into the Town Centre) and I saw this black dog run straight over the road in front of a car. The car braked and sounded its horn. I saw a woman walking towards me and I thought she had a lead in her hand and I assumed the dog was with her, but she took off in a different direction to the dog and the 'lead' turned out to be her handbag.

I set off after Jasper, who ran over another road - nearly getting killed again! - when he stopped to sniff at the local pee-stop. He was fine with me approaching him and was happy to be patted. He had a collar but no tag, and was very thin (you could see his ribs and hips very clearly). I had no lead on me, so I took off my belt and looped it through his collar.

I was due back in work so I took him with me. I popped into our vets and asked them to scan him for a 'chip but he didn't have one. I took him to the police station, but they weren't interested. I phoned the dog warden, who wanted photos so I sent through the ones from my mobile along with a description of him. Our vets had added him to their "Lost/found" book and the dog warden said he would inform other vets in the borough. The DW asked if I wanted him to come and collect him or was I able to look after him. I said we'd look after him - so we were classed as "fostering" him. The DW said the rules had changed from when we found Jake and therefore Jazz's owners had only 7 clear days to come forward for him. I had previously said the the DW that should Jazz remain unclaimed we were more than happy to provide a permanent home for him, which is what happened.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I have gained all of mine, one way or another.

Scooby came in to rescue and over bonded to me. He was rehomed once and returned so I took him home. He is a biter but lovely with those he knows.

Bandit I found dumped in a box at 7 weeks old on a cold November night. Having gone through the house training and basics with him I did not have the heart to part with my gorgeous boy.

Malcolm I took on after the loss of my two other dogs. He had been in rescue for 6 months and I couldn't face the thought of leaving him there any longer if he could live with me so I went and took him on.

Layla I found a month ago and it's looking likely she will stay.

Prior to those I currently share my life with.

Thomas, my childhood dog, came from the bluecross as a puppy.

Merlin and Binky were both from breeders and fantastic dogs.

And Bob was my heart, my soul, my shadow. I sometimes wonder how I go on without him. A rescue who I only had for 19 months who touched me more than any dog ever could.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post
Quite literally found them!

Both my boys are ex-strays - we found Jake playing in the park, none of the dog walkers we knew, knew or recognised him (and we all kind of know each other by our dogs). We took him to the Police Station and reported him - the police said we could either have him taken to the pound or we could look after him until his owners came forward, the latter we did. We reported him to the Dog Warden. We put posters all round the town and we sent copies of our "Found" poster to all the local vets & pet shops. But no-one claimed Jake, and the police said after 1 month (I think, it was 8yrs ago now) we could either keep him or send him for re-homing. He's been with us ever since.

I found Jasper on my lunch break. I'd forgot my little netbook, and I needed it as I was going to our sister office that afternoon, so I decided to walk home at lunchtime to pick it up. At the time we lived on a very busy main road (one of the main ones into the Town Centre) and I saw this black dog run straight over the road in front of a car. The car braked and sounded its horn. I saw a woman walking towards me and I thought she had a lead in her hand and I assumed the dog was with her, but she took off in a different direction to the dog and the 'lead' turned out to be her handbag.

I set off after Jasper, who ran over another road - nearly getting killed again! - when he stopped to sniff at the local pee-stop. He was fine with me approaching him and was happy to be patted. He had a collar but no tag, and was very thin (you could see his ribs and hips very clearly). I had no lead on me, so I took off my belt and looped it through his collar.

I was due back in work so I took him with me. I popped into our vets and asked them to scan him for a 'chip but he didn't have one. I took him to the police station, but they weren't interested. I phoned the dog warden, who wanted photos so I sent through the ones from my mobile along with a description of him. Our vets had added him to their "Lost/found" book and the dog warden said he would inform other vets in the borough. The DW asked if I wanted him to come and collect him or was I able to look after him. I said we'd look after him - so we were classed as "fostering" him. The DW said the rules had changed from when we found Jake and therefore Jazz's owners had only 7 clear days to come forward for him. I had previously said the the DW that should Jazz remain unclaimed we were more than happy to provide a permanent home for him, which is what happened.
Another lovely heartwarming story! I love this thread!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5