View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Many thanks for all the kind words and support for Loki - and me I do appreciate each one.

So far, and with fingers crossed, no more fits since 2.30 pm yesterday! I used one Rectal Diacaepam and that helped break the clusters. She slept most of the afternoon and evening in the kitchenette. Still in there when I went to bed, woke me up scratching the cupboard doors in the kitchenette - 2 am! Got up and I knew she was trying to stand up, her legs just kept falling down again - tiles on floor not good for her to grip on! Ever try moving a 45.5 k bundle of joy. I have and took me nearly 2 hours of huffing and puffing and poor Loki looking at me with those eyes of hers! Managed to get her to the door and from there she was fine - she wanted the loo. She did what she had to do and I then went to put the toilet pads into a sack, then realised she had just gone back into the kitchette again! Got her loo cleaned and out onto the veranda for taking down this morning.

Early this morning again - same things - she couldn't get up for the loo so again had to help her, got a large towel under her belly and pulled her to the door, from there is was OK she got up and went to her loo! She is so good and has never had accidents after her fits, keeps everything in until she can go to her toilet!

Got the kitchenette and bathroom doors shut now, so she is lying sleeping and quietly at that, the panting has stopped, in her beside me - even the parrots are keeping quiet for her!

Many thanks again folks for all your lovely messages for Loki and I. I do appreciate each one.

Take care

Rose and Loki xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
That sounds promising Rosemary hoping to hear more good news at the next update.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Just picked up this thread Rose ... so sorry to hear about Loki. Fingers x'd that the fits cease once more. Big hugs from me and the boys xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 01:46 PM
That sounds good Rose. As the fits started on Monday I would not expect her to have any more now, if, like Loki, there seems to be a period of time during which she will just keep fitting but it stops then.

I'm so sorry to hear of you struggling to help her get to the toilet. You do a wonderful job of caring for Loki.
xxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Lots of hugs and cuddles from us all here xxxxxx
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The "story" about Ben & Jerry's vanilla icecream - and that make only, has been touted on most canine epilepsy sites.

Just as the "story" that a dog having a Grand Mal seizure is like a human running a marathon, so you "must" give them honey because they will be so depleted in sugar.

It has been disproven [and I am sorry but I cannot give a link as this was a report by someone on the Epilepsy List] that her epi was in their ER clustering, and it actually turned out that a GM does not deplete blood sugar, it raises it.

So ice-cream - of whatever brand, will help to cool the dog down, but it does not matter what brand or what flavour.

And you do not give the dog honey after a GM because they have not been depleted of blood sugar during the seizure.

Unfortunately there are still many people who trust what Google says without - usually - having ever seen their own dog in a full blown Grand Mal epileptic seizure. And unfortunately there are very few vets who know much more about canine epilepsy than the short lecture they had about it during their training.

Someone who works for Ben & Jerry's icecream company must be piddling themselves laughing that their vanilla icecream is the wonder cure.

It is not.

Just another "snake oil" subject.
Malka I don't work for or have any interest in B&J ice cream and I wouldn't dream of touting it as a wonder cure. Having had 2 EPI dogs myself I wanted to give something to settle them after a fit and it was additive free. One of my dogs was fit free and had no medication or treatment for 5 years but I never considered him cured (unfortunately).
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Thinking of you both xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I am so pleased that dear Loki is calm at present. What a wonderful Mummy/carer you are to her. Everything crossed that she continues to stay seizure free.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
I don't know how useful this info is but I read on an EPI site that Ben & Jerry's ice vanilla ice cream was good to give post ictal.

I hope things settle own for Loki, it's gut wrenching waiting for the next fit.
Hi twix

You might be interested in this from CEN, which says that low blood sugar may cause a seizure in some dogs and some vets like to give honey or corn sugar to quickly bring the blood sugar levels up after a fit, if they suspect that low levels caused it.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html

I got into the habit of giving Loki a small spoonful of ice-cream every night to raise blood sugar levels just in case and now he demands it every night.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Loki is now at the sniffing stage! When I cuddle her all she wants to do is sniff my face and hair, bless her. She looks at Soochie and PJ as though she forgot about them and the noise they can make! Soochie was asking her to get her ball but Loki just turned away

So fingers still crossed that she will have a good night tonight - and I've kept both bathroom and kitchenette doors closed!! At the moment she has gone into my bedroom and lay on her mat - so hope she stays there!

Thanks again everyone.

Take care.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >