View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Your post has just prompted a memory of mine when he was in rescue kennels, they were, in my opinion, a little rough with him - they told me that he was better with a collar and reacted very badly to a figure of 8, I'd never heard of them before but now realise they're similar to a halti. It's funny because he is perfectly happy to wear his muzzle and i think that's because I was very very careful to introduce him to it and made it very positive for him.

I'm sure head shape has a lot to do with it, along with proper fitting, training and I guess how much the dog uses his head - some have shaky heads that move a lot.

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I used a halti with Rupert for years and he never appeared to be unhappy about it. It didn't ride up into his eyes at all either. I do wonder whether head shape has anything to do with that though. He also didn't really pull, just kept a very slight tension on the leash. I used it so that I had control of his head when necessary. Even in the beginning he never fought the halti.

Spencer on the other hand hates it. I can get him to put his muzzle into it happily, he'll happily let me fasten it and will happily stand there with it on. When it comes to walking though..not a chance. But then he has the same reaction to a baskerville muzzle, fine as long as he's not expected to move with it on, if he is then he fights like crazy to remove it. Can't see his reaction to a dogmatic being any different tbh.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:41 PM
My dog is strong (staffie/boxer) but I am stronger and bigger so if and when he kicks off I'm normally able to get hold of him quickly, I have been using a harness which has a very good "handle" on his back, once he feels my hand on this "handle" I like to think he knows he's beat!

Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
My big dog walks beautifully on the lead but I still use a headcollar as if he kicks off I can not hold him back without one. I am only about 15kg heavier than him.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:53 PM
I was part of a thread on here about the value of obedience training. I've come to the conclusion that some dogs absolutely thrive on it as do the owners. Mine didn't enjoy training classes at all, I think he became very frustrated and impatient. I think it also depends upon what you want or require from you dog and of course how many dogs one has .

I don't really need my dog to be perfect on a lead as he's not often on one i.e when we're on lanes, roads, around children, or "flash" points with dogs like corners. When off lead he'll charge off - I used to get in a terrible state about this and labelled it unacceptable, now I largely let him get away with it because it was such hard work and frustrating to stop him doing it, he doesn't do any harm when when he's a field ahead, he checks back to see me. The only time he's aggressive with other dogs is when I'm right there with him.

Anyway beginning to go off topic altogehter now - but I do find this really fascinating.

Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I'm interested in the concept that *if* something kicks off, it's your weight against the dog's pulling power.

I'm currently practising off lead heelwork with the flatcoat, as I'd posted previously, I'm fortunate in that she has a desire to please me, rather than herself, and I've taken advantage of that. What little training I do, if she gets it right, she gets nice calm praise (high pitched geeing her up type praise would send her loopy), and if she looks like she's going to break her heel, all it takes is a low grumbly 'Oi!' at the right moment. Fortunately my timing skills have progressed beyond that of a cucumber, or a slug in reverse, as I've previously been described, and I'm usually pretty much spot on.

I've worked up to this point by doing sit stays with her watching the other two bombing around and whizzing past her, and also on lead heelwork with the other two bombing round and whizzing past her.

One old addage that sticks with me, if you can't control a dog on lead and next to you, then you have no hope with that dog off lead, five, ten, fifty yards away. With that in mind, my main focus with Rhuna, is keeping her steady, and getting her attention on me, if it wanders, breaking where ever it's gone to and getting it back on me again.

When I have three dogs next to me on lead, if all three went at once, they would weigh more than me and just one of them is powerful enough to pull me off my feet (Tau) if she decided to. Heelwork isn't about having more power than the dog to stop it from bolting after something, it's about interacting with your dog so that nothing out there is worth bolting after in the first place. And in the dog's mind, it's getting them to always anticipate that there could be something really exciting about to happen, at which they have a chance to *win*, whether that's simply rewarding them with a retrieve, or getting them to sit and giving them a nice treat or a fuss at the end of a piece of heelwork. Different things motivate different dogs.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:58 PM
with mine its not that they 'kick off' they have extremely high prey drive as stated not a problem if i see prey first but if they catch me unaware it is 3 dogs lunging hence biggest one on a dogmatic - although i dont put it on him he puts his head into it then i fasten same with the CPs they put their heads through the collars then sit waiting for me to attach lead
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 10:01 PM
prey drive - such a nuisance! My one walks up the lanes and pokes his nose into every single driveway looking for cats!

Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I use a lether dog matic on my male GSD not because he pulls he will happliy walk at what ever speed i am going but i walk all 3 of my dogs together all have extremely high prey drive, this is not a problem if i see the prey first - squirrel, bird, cat, rat as i warn them so they wont react but if they see/smell before i know its there then all 3 will lunge at once - without the headcollar on the largest i would be on my knees before giving voice to stop them.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
prey drive - such a nuisance! My one walks up the lanes and pokes his nose into every single driveway looking for cats!
i to hate prey drive, something phoebe didnt have till the age of 5 (wish i knew where it came from or who taught it her) now every small fury is of high importance to phoebe. i have to have my wits about me all the time trying to spot them before she does so i can give my "leave it" warning in the voice of doom as this is the only thing i have found works but it doesnt work when we see other dogs sadly
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I have just today got rid of Cora's Halti today. I always hated the thing, though started using it on recommendation from a friend as he believed it would be a useful tool to aid training her to walk to heel on leash. A few days ago though I decided to try something new (to me) and instead of holding her long training leash in hand I fastened it over my shoulder/across my body (like a sash). It has made me think that perhaps the problems I encountered previously were down to how I was holding her leash (too long, followed by not long enough, winding around my hand when approaching likely kick-off distractions etc).

Now with the leash fastened across me it gives me 2 free hands for treating, and engaging attention, and encourages Cora to stay in a very specific, consistant position in relation to me as we walk. It has made holding her focus so much easier! She is more responsive to commands and keeps looking up to me more than ever before.
I think this breakthrough has really perked me up too, so I've been better at recognising her attention being with me, quicker to mark with the clicker, praise her and treat reward her for her compliance.

As it is still a work in progress there are obviously times when she does still pull, or occasionally lunge when she sees other dogs across the street or along the road. But when she does this it is now against my full (very full!) body weight, while I retain a good centre of gravity and instead of my arms being pulled from their sockets, my hands are really just an added help to bring her attention back to me quicker than I could before. I'm feeling much more confident with our progress and it has given me a renewed drive with her training.

Our pavement walk today was the best I've ever had with her, and made me so happy that I feel that with consistent practice I will no longer be ashamed of looking like my dog is walking me!

I have to concede though that I'm glad we introduced her to a head collar at this young age, as it will hopefully make it easier should we need to use one when she is older. I think just due to the size and strength she is likely to grow to I would feel safer with my parents and in-laws walking her on a dogmatic or the like when she stays with them on the odd occasion.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I found your posting really uplifting - I find I'm happy for days after I find something that works, it's often after a series of recommended techniques (all offered with sincere goodwill) it just goes to demonstrate we're all different just as our dogs are.

I love and despair all at the same time when i see a really well behaved dog trotting along nicely on a lead unlike my one that swings from left to right, sticks his nose in every garden gate, his entire body language is up and alert.

Originally Posted by Pep_Sounds View Post
I have just today got rid of Cora's Halti today. I always hated the thing, though started using it on recommendation from a friend as he believed it would be a useful tool to aid training her to walk to heel on leash. A few days ago though I decided to try something new (to me) and instead of holding her long training leash in hand I fastened it over my shoulder/across my body (like a sash). It has made me think that perhaps the problems I encountered previously were down to how I was holding her leash (too long, followed by not long enough, winding around my hand when approaching likely kick-off distractions etc).

Now with the leash fastened across me it gives me 2 free hands for treating, and engaging attention, and encourages Cora to stay in a very specific, consistant position in relation to me as we walk. It has made holding her focus so much easier! She is more responsive to commands and keeps looking up to me more than ever before.
I think this breakthrough has really perked me up too, so I've been better at recognising her attention being with me, quicker to mark with the clicker, praise her and treat reward her for her compliance.

As it is still a work in progress there are obviously times when she does still pull, or occasionally lunge when she sees other dogs across the street or along the road. But when she does this it is now against my full (very full!) body weight, while I retain a good centre of gravity and instead of my arms being pulled from their sockets, my hands are really just an added help to bring her attention back to me quicker than I could before. I'm feeling much more confident with our progress and it has given me a renewed drive with her training.

Our pavement walk today was the best I've ever had with her, and made me so happy that I feel that with consistent practice I will no longer be ashamed of looking like my dog is walking me!

I have to concede though that I'm glad we introduced her to a head collar at this young age, as it will hopefully make it easier should we need to use one when she is older. I think just due to the size and strength she is likely to grow to I would feel safer with my parents and in-laws walking her on a dogmatic or the like when she stays with them on the odd occasion.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Loki hated the halti and I didn't like it either. I got a Canny collar, which was much kinder but still didn't like them. I moved to a harness and Loki was fine with that and stopped pulling me Once she learnt to stop pulling me, I changed to a collar and lead and it is me who has to pull her now
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Oh yes indeedy..........mine does that too
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >