Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Wasn't Bubbly Tottie abused at the hands of the people who had taken him on after his racing career.....?
If that is the case then not much care was taken in rehoming him, was there.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
If that is the case then not much care was taken in rehoming him, was there.
to the best of my knowledge, tottie and their other dog, pebbles, had both been given to a rehoming centre.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Wasn't Bubbly Tottie abused at the hands of the people who had taken him on after his racing career.....?
Yes he was, but instead of holding onto him till the RGT had space and then giving a donation to the RGT to rehome him safely and make sure his future was safe they gave him to someone who had another greyhound also found in a neglected state and said they could have him. So he was never checked up on and it cost them nothing to get him rehomed.
When in the trainers care I will say the Bubbly dogs from what I have seen, seem to be well looked after and recieve necessary vet treatment. Its just a shame they didn't look to secure one of their top dogs a decent future after all he done for them.
I was just trying to show without showing pics of dogs with ears hacked off and bolt holes through their head of what can happen to even the top dogs. I can't put links on here so people can go if they wish and look at the true horrors of the fate of thousands of greyhounds.
There is said to be over 10000 greyhounds every year in this country that cannot be accounted for or traced.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 04:45 PM
My sister unfortunatly supports racing and had shares in Bubbly Totti and still has shares in a couple of their other dogs.
According to her he was offered up to to anyone who wanted to give him a home as she had a text offering him, from the chap that runs the syndicate. A text goes out to everyone every time a dog retires to see if anyone wants it. My sister wasn't interested though as she wouldn't have a dog in her house if you paid her. If she had have wanted him though she would just have to go and have collected him, there would have been no checks to make sure it was a good home.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2012, 04:48 PM
We don't have Greyhound racing in Canada. In the 1960's my husband and I thought we would go into Greyhound Racing in the USA. We bred one litter without looking into it as fully as we should have. We found out that in the USA the tracks only had a certain number of Trainers and you could not race the dogs yourself, you had to turn them over to one of their trainers.

We did go as far as contacting one of their trainers and he came up and looked at the dogs when they were 6 months old but luckily changed our mind as we did not like the idea of just turning them over to a stranger. If we could not race them ourself it was not going to happen. We ended up finding homes for all the pups as we had raised them like any other dog and they knew their names and were friendly dogs, used to running free in our fields and came when they were called.

They were Canadian Kennel Club registered as well as registered in the USA for racing so we did show our Male and he did really well. I really love the Grehounds and would get another but it is so cold where I live that I did not think it fair for them.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
The Afghan clubs already do this - all breeds are welcome -

http://www.ahaonline.co.uk/activities/racing.html

I don't think it would take much for this owner/handler sport to grow
Lure coursing is another way to exercise sight hounds doing what they were bred for, without live prey, that the dogs love:

http://www.lurecoursing.org.uk/

I seem to recall that some of the Cheetah rescue places (e.g Africat) also lure course their cats for exercise, to get them fit and working for their meals.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by ailsas mum View Post
Stop them betting, that's not going to happen the government make to much money from it. Stop them breeding so many dogs, they'll bring dogs in from Ireland or other countries or they'll ship their dogs over to Ireland to be bred from. Sorry I wish I could see a way to make it a more palatable pass time but I can't, it's barbaric the way most of the greys are treated and I can't see any way of changing it.
I hate greyhound racing, but you seem completely against an alternative?

The betting Is decreasing hence tracks already shutting down and with dogs being bread in from other countries.
If there was no money to be made from racing the dogs, the demand for the dogs would decrease and with no demand no breeding would decrease.

It would take years and years, but there is no instant solution.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 06:56 PM
i dont have a problem with greyhound racing. i love watching it, i love watching the dogs run and i love greyhounds as a breed.

i dont like how some trainers and kennels keep their dogs and how they are treated. however you can say this about any sport and anything involving an animal.

i will have a greyhound one day. i always go and give a fuss to them when i see their stands at events, and in fact at bakewell show nearly came away with one! ideally i will have a retired racer, that means then that ive played my part in supporting the dogs afterwards.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have already said twice I think on this post if you read my replies, that there are a few good racing places. I know of two who look after their dogs very well. But as I have also said there are hundreds and hundreds in Britain alone that are diabolical and those people shouldn't be allowed to own a fly let alone a dog.
However even the ones where the dogs are well cared for at home have to go on that track where many end up with broken backs, necks and legs etc from collisions especially on the bends or awful injuries in the trap even before the race has started.
There needs to be strict regulation bought in for the welfare of these poor dogs with lots of unnanounced inspections on dogsat their trainers/owners kennels, with tough penaltys and an immediate ban of anyone not sticking to these regulations and caring for their dogs well.
I would also for safety like to see straight tracks because as I have also said the bends are where most accidents and fatalities occur.
Below is a picture of top greyhound Racing Champion Bubbly Totti who won thousands of pounds for his trainer and owner. A few months after he had been retired this is how he was found, emaciated and covered in sores. He was lucky he was found as thousands are not and if this can happen to a top dog what do you think happens to those who are not good racers.

One of my own greyhounds was badly beaten in racing kennels and when I got him he would fall on the floor screaming at the sight of a man coming towards him and wet himself, he done the same the first time I picked up a broom to sweep the garden.
My other one I believe was locked away in a dark kennel alone for many months as her front teeth are worn down from knawing at wire trying to escape, she arrived at the rescue covered in fleas and full of worms. Now remember these are the lucky ones as they made it to a rescue.
Makes me want to cry no words can describe the type of scum that does this to other living things
ailsas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by JamieWilson View Post
I hate greyhound racing, but you seem completely against an alternative?

The betting Is decreasing hence tracks already shutting down and with dogs being bread in from other countries.
If there was no money to be made from racing the dogs, the demand for the dogs would decrease and with no demand no breeding would decrease.

It would take years and years, but there is no instant solution.
It's taken years and years to get this far, how many more dogs need to be killed before it ends, what alternative is there, trainers aren't going to stop culling unsuitable dogs or pups, they're not going to keep dogs that can no longer race because they have broken a leg and can no longer make money.

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont have a problem with greyhound racing. i love watching it, i love watching the dogs run and i love greyhounds as a breed.

i dont like how some trainers and kennels keep their dogs and how they are treated. however you can say this about any sport and anything involving an animal.

i will have a greyhound one day. i always go and give a fuss to them when i see their stands at events, and in fact at bakewell show nearly came away with one! ideally i will have a retired racer, that means then that ive played my part in supporting the dogs afterwards.
unbloody believable, have you seen the picture's of greys after they've been abandoned, have you seen pictures of their corpses with their ears cut of so they can't be identified. Good for you if your going to take on a greyhound one day and I'm sure all the ones that died just so you and others like you can have fun watching them run will thank you.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »