Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm.
I suppose mine are both a mix of easy and challenging in some respects. As some people have said BCs are challenging because they are worky then Hocus comes under that however he is easy in that he is good natured with everything he has met so far and is eager to learn and be doing things.

Teg again BC and is shy of a people and dogs. Can be snappy if they are jumping round him so he is slightly challenging in this respect.
Easy in that again he loves to learn and be with me, he doesn't care what we're doing, walking miles or lounging round the house.

So I like a bit of both.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I dont think anything could be a challange after Millie lol
I struggled to start with when I got Hocus as I'd never had a pup before. However looking back on it I realise the problems were down to me and he was just being a puppy.
I'm surprised you can't see the same. A mouthy pup is nothing compared to a dog that is actually challenging.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Easy every time, after having had two very challenging dogs. Ranger is a walk in the park after those
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Jeeze...if a mouthy pup is a challenge, then Pippa M, would you like to take Kerrie out for a walk. Actually, I will just leave her with you for 1/2 an hour.,..you dont even need to walk.

Much as I love my three, they have all come with baggage, so next one is going to have to be easy!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I have 2 very easy dogs, sweep is VERY easy. Never been one to chew the house, growl, he's not vocal. Very easy! Robs pretty easy, as it stands the most difficult think about him is crow-barring him out of his bed! However i guess i'm the unique position of owning a dog from an unraced dog, to a racing dog, to eventually a pet. I foresee one big issue and that is his chase drive is very, very, very high. But that's a bridge to be crossed when we come to it! I think the only challenge i'd really not be willing to take on is that of a dog that requires HUGE amounts of grooming. Which i know sounds strange but i find it quite boring.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Poor pippam, she's going to end up with every one of Dogsey's real problem dogs to look after
On a genuine note pippam, if you can get to a dog rescue to do some volunteer walking, it may be a good chance to get some real experience of challenging dogs and may benefit by teaching you some new skills (and to appreciate your own dog!). I walked for a Staffie rescue and met some very unique mutts, I was quite drawn to one fella who had a bizarre habit of pulling ahead, backing up a few steps (walking backwards, not turning around) and then darting to the end of the lead at full speed. Sounds cute but at the end of an hour long walk you start to have achey arms! Or the one who spent the whole walk trying to nip at the lead/your arms (RIP my poor mitten that got destroyed in the process one walk). It certainly made me appreciate the fact that, while Casper may bark and lunge when over his threshold, for a challenging dog at least he walks well on-lead!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Poor pippam, she's going to end up with every one of Dogsey's real problem dogs to look after

Not really, that wouldn't happen in the 'real world' mind you - some people don't seem to live in the 'real world'?
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I would take an easy dog over a challenge any day, as I'm still not so good with training

This past weekend has made me appreciate the pup I have though, a friend came over with her GSD X Goldie pup and I learned a few things about her. That fiesty girl attacked my husbands hand when he tried to take a toy from her (after snarling at my pup) as well as attacked my pup when he tried to eat some of his food. She had a go at my hand too when I attempted to take the plate away

As stubborn as my little guy might be, I'll take a million and one of him before I would be able to handle just one of her
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Packs Cain's suitcase and sends him off for a holiday with Pippam......!

Admittedly, I miss my Moon to pieces. He was the sweetest, easiest dog in the world. And I dream of the day when I get my toller which (I pray!) will be normal and I'll be able to go for long off lead walks, group doggy walks, down the pub together, all the normal things.

That said....Moon was a joy to own, but taught me very little. While there are days when I could cheerfully throttle Cain, he has taught me SO much and it's been an invaluable experience which has changed me (hopefully for the better) as a dog owner forever. Having a challenging dog has been a stressful but enlightening experience. And nothing compares to that proud moment when you suddenly see improvement and they do something amazing which you know they couldn't have done previously. I don't know if you get those sort of moments with an easy dog. While I heartily wish Cain was easy, deep down I've enjoyed some of the challenge.

I'd probably take on a challenging dog of sorts again one day (maybe not quite AS challenging or as big though!)....but I think I've earned a break, so next dog....

Easy please
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know..I like the idea of an easy dog and certainly enjoyed the easy life when we had Kip...

but I do think that the bond you develop with 'difficult' dogs is much greater. Stumpy has definitely been my favourite (shhh don't tell the others) even though she has been the most difficult.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >