Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Does that mean that we shouldn't try??
No I don't think it does mean we shouldn't try.

As for the cost. Well hell a tenner or so one off expense is peanuts added to the general cost of keeping a dog for life.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Another law difficult to enforce? Who enforces the poo picking law? When was the last prosecution? Is the law working? Not judging by the amount of dog excrement lying around

So why bother?

PS My dogs are chipped.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 08:33 AM
tbh, I can't see it working for the reasons they are saying they want it brought in - dangerous dogs. People seem to still have pitbulls, which is against the law, so I'm not sure they would go out and chip their dog just because it's the law.

I have nearly all mine chipped - have got 4 left to do which will be done very soon. I think it's a brilliant thing. However, I do get a bit "antsy" when people tell me I MUST do this and MUST do that.

I do love this bit:

So while owners of gentle breeds such as poodles and golden retrievers are likely to dutifully pay up to have the chips installed under the skin, rogue breeders, who tend to produce rottweilers and pitbull terriers, could continue to evade the law.
I have to say, typical Daily Mail stuff!!

Helen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, Ive got the news paper clipping...going to pin it up on the noticeboard in my shop with a sign next to it saying Microchipping £15
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Nope, was talking about dog wardens carrying them for offenders on leash laws/not picking up, but talking about dogs of 'type', once the dog was seized, I would imagine it would be scanned at that point.

Just as you get those risking getting caught for no tax and insurance in cars, you will get those who will try to get around the microchipping law.

Does that mean that we shouldn't try??

Like it or not, that acorn is going to be planted. We can only hope that it grows into a flourishing tree and that the idiots with sledgehammers are easier to catch up with as the Law gets ever tougher on offenders.
I'm sorry, but this is just a totally pointless government exercise to placate the general public and make it look like they're doing something when they're actually not. Just because something is the law doesn't mean it's going to change people's behaviour. In the case of this law, it's going to be absolutely ineffectual as there aren't the people employed, the man hours to enforce it or tough enough penalties for the people who get caught.

As for your comment about does it mean we shouldn't try. Well, it's going to be tried isn't it. Just don't hold your breath for it doing any dog a favour or justice. By the way, the idiots with the sledgehammer are the government, not the ones who will flout the law. It's just another load of pointles piffle that will turn out about as effective a the DDA is. But hey, the ConDems might get a couple of days of positive press in the Daily Mail out of it.

p.s. My dogs are both microchipped.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't see this new law making the blindest bit of difference to the current state of affairs, tbh - for the numerous reasons already stated in this thread.

All of mine are chipped.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I don't see this new law making the blindest bit of difference to the current state of affairs, tbh - for the numerous reasons already stated in this thread.

All of mine are chipped.
This and this!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 11:11 AM
The theory is good, but in practice I think it's unworkable. My dogs are all chipped and the pups will be chipped before they leave for their new homes, but what about small breeds? My JRT was tiny at 8 weeks and so I decided to wait until she was older and had her chipped at 4 months old. I've never heard of chips costing £35, no idea where they got that from

And as for the article itself and the way it's written....well, typical Daily Mail claptrap.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Who knows whether it's true or not, but on GMTV this morning there was someone on saying that there are apparently hugely more pitbull types and other banned breeds in the UK than there was before the DDA was implemented
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My JRT was tiny at 8 weeks and so I decided to wait until she was older and had her chipped at 4 months old.
Same with the Chi's.
I waited till they were a lot older before doing it, as they only weigh just over 2kg at 10 months!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >