Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
If we could make a list of rules for dog owners what would you add?

My first rule would be:

Rule 1
When out in public - if your dog is off lead and you see another dog and their owner approaching recall your dog and put him or her on a lead. (And if the other owner does not, signal for them to do the same).

Why?
So introductions can be done in a calm, controlled and safe fashion!
Introductions on lead can be a lot less calm than introductions off lead----so I would strongly disagree with that one.

I would however agree with putting your dog on lead or getting it with you and under control when on lead dogs are around.

rune
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
If we could make a list of rules for dog owners what would you add?

My first rule would be:

Rule 1
When out in public - if your dog is off lead and you see another dog and their owner approaching recall your dog and put him or her on a lead. (And if the other owner does not, signal for them to do the same).

Why?
So introductions can be done in a calm, controlled and safe fashion!
100% agree with you on this one Azz. If I have the decency to put my dog onlead for your approaching dog, and your dog can be a bit iffy if put ONlead, then at least have the decency to have trained your own dog to approach mine in a calm, relaxed way with some proper manners so that she won't take offence to it hurfing over to her, that's all I can say! If not, then put yours onlead to do the greeting, so that it all stays calm.

Pick up your dog poo so that my dog's ball doesn't roll in it making her throw up or get sick, and so as I don't have to treat in it taking it home with me on the car mats and indoors! Grrrr, that's my biggest bugbear atm, everywhere is covered in the stuff and why???!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
100% agree with you on this one Azz. If I have the decency to put my dog onlead for your approaching dog, and your dog can be a bit iffy if put ONlead, then at least have the decency to have trained your own dog to approach mine in a calm, relaxed way with some proper manners so that she won't take offence to it hurfing over to her, that's all I can say! If not, then put yours onlead to do the greeting, so that it all stays calm.

Pick up your dog poo so that my dog's ball doesn't roll in it making her throw up or get sick, and so as I don't have to treat in it taking it home with me on the car mats and indoors! Grrrr, that's my biggest bugbear atm, everywhere is covered in the stuff and why???!!!
Yeah totally agree H.

If people choose not to put their dog on a lead (for whatever reason) then take it as a given, that the other dog walker who stopped, recalled their dog, and waited for you to do the same does *not* want your dog approaching theirs.

The amount of times people have said 'Oh my dogs fine, he'll just run past' and yet they've turned out to act aggressively makes my blood boil. Usually they don't repeat the same mistake tho - because I have a big gob and am not afraid to shout at their dog if it so much as snarls as mine - the owner gets a very dirty look as well
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Luckily I have trained my dogs enough to be sure that they will stick with me when off lead. Benj is, of course. a work in progress. I do realise that other dogs might not do that---which is why mine are better off lead than on.

On lead is always more threatening for a dog It does annoy me when other dogs approach when mine are on lead for that very reason.

rune
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2012, 10:54 PM
If everyone with a reactive dog walked them on a lead, and everyone understood that you should not let your dog approach an on-lead dog, then in theory the only dogs that would meet off lead would be friendly ones, so my ver simple rule for dog walking is "do not approach on-lead dogs". Of course it never works out that way, but so far I've been fortunate enough to never meet a reactive dog that was not immediately collected and put on lead by its owners and my girls are never allowed to approach such dogs
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I would say with the putting your dogs on leads
I actually have no problem with it when its done sensibly
I know many will disagree
but
The thing that causes me the most problems is when people get ALMOST right up to you with offlead dogs, the dogs are engaged in some friendly build up to greetings, then the owners call their dogs to clip them on the lead and drag them past my dogs
Best way for Mia to turn a happy greeting into a stressful one

I agree if someone puts their dogs onlead then I should be keeping mine under control - but please give me a bit of warning about it!!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
The one thing that drives me mad. Dogs that are let out and left to roam

I have no problem with offlead dogs with an owner but cannot understand how anyone can just let their dogs out and not care where they are or who they are annoying
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
If everyone with a reactive dog walked them on a lead, and everyone understood that you should not let your dog approach an on-lead dog, then in theory the only dogs that would meet off lead would be friendly ones, so my ver simple rule for dog walking is "do not approach on-lead dogs". Of course it never works out that way, but so far I've been fortunate enough to never meet a reactive dog that was not immediately collected and put on lead by its owners and my girls are never allowed to approach such dogs
If only! It would certainly make my life easier if everyone was aware of and stuck to these rules the amount of time an off lead "it's ok because he's friendly dog" has barged up to my on lead reactive dog, but I've been blamed be aide it's clearly my fault for having such an awful dog out in public, not the fact that their dog approached mine...
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
i get pee'd off when i see the x dally off lead on our walks. mine go on the lead straight away and it still comes up and has a go at mine.

also get annoyed with people who allow their in season bitches off lead and then shout out its in full season.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
They would only do that to mine once!

I had a run in with an entire boxer owner who had no control---I told her to consider a training class and she told me to take a thyroid pill (which I thought I might use some time as it is a good line!). However since then she puts her dog on lead if she sees me.

Thinking about it---it isn't about leads or no leads---it is about control or no control.

My brother has recently aquired his first dog---he was saying the other day that the dog sometimes doesn't come back first time it is called----I laughed----if it comes back at all it is better than 50% of dogs! And he is working on it.

rune
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >