Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I would say gender would come before colour, although I would not choose a colour, markings or a type of coat I was not attracted to. I think it is all aspects of the puppy/dog that I look at and, of course, temperament has to be number one on the list.
The gender I choose seems to depend on the breed of dog I want. This is just my preference, but with a flatcoated retriever and some other breeds I prefer the males, but when I decided on a golden retriever I deliberately looked for a female pup. I can't rationally explain why, but I would probably do the same again. With both these breeds colour didn't come into into it. A golden is a blondie and a flatcoat is black or liver (but black is beautiful and the dominant shade in the breed).
thats funny after working for a woman who owns both goldies and flatties, id always pick a flattie male, yet a goldie female
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:17 AM
When i got sweep it was i wanted a blenhiem CKC, gender didn't matter... I was 6 though! Robbie needed to be a boy, colour didn't matter at all.
Shanahan
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Gender for me, don't know why but I've always preferred dogs - the two bitches we've owned were both temperamental in their own ways.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
If I ever get another dog [which is highly unlikely] breed would not matter, colour would not matter, length of coat would not matter.

The only things that would matter would be size [small] and gender [female]. And looks, of course.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I was adamant when we went for our last pup that it had to be a male (didn't like the idea of having the upheaval of the spay op which I deem necessary for females)

Home came Rosie.

Colour, gender and everything else goes out the window when a pup picks you
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Colour....

I much prefer darker brindles over reds, so would go for colour everytime.

If all the pups were dark brindle, I'd go for a male first, then a female; however if the only dark brindle was a female, that would be fine.

Since we won't get another dog until Max isn't with us, it's all academic anyway!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
for me its mainly females. Bit odd but i dont like the way male dogs "tackle" is on show, i know this is something they can do nothing about. if the dog i was choosing was either long coated or a small dog i dont think i would mind as much so would consider a male as my dads male yorkie doesnt bother me with his "tackle" on show.

Its that washing powder add form years back that has done this to me. That huge male Bordeaux sat in front of washing machine panting with his "tackle" bobbing up and down - always disturbed me. LOL
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The gender of a dog you'll likely be living with for at least a decade isn't exactly a minor detail (considering behaviour etc) so I can't imagine being so set on a particular colour I'd think it more important. But who knows. I was supposed to get a bitch when I got Gelert. But I didn't change my mind because of his colour.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Neither colour or gender would make that much difference to me, I have had great dogs of both male and female genders, and colour only takes second seat to temperament, when I got Ollie there was two boys left, the other was very bold all over me and every one else verging on being rude, Ollie politely came over sniffed said hi and relaxed with me. The other boy was liver and white too and had lovely markings, an even face mask and saddles on him, I preferred his colouring but I much much preferred Ollie's temperament hence why I now have the one I have.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Difficult one. I would have always said gender then colour, but I have really fallen for the dark sable (WL GSDs) now, so colour could sneak in before gender.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5