View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Mine don't roll in anything and Madison wont pick up her ball if its landed close to poo! my friend is housetraining her pup at the moment and madison wont even enter her house if the pup has done a wee or poo on the floor she would stand in the other room if Merf did a wee in the house and refuse to go past til we cleaned it up
Quite a few of the dogs i walk roll in all kinds and eat it too including human poo
luca12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I have a bitch who seeks out fox poo , does that little dance over the top with the front leg up and head swaying from side to side that they do before rolling ... Then cocks her leg on it and walks away - she is very funny to watch - the other 2 bitches do unfortunately roll given the chance .
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Yes all of ours will roll from time to time. Cows, foxes and once human poo, after the travellers had left the field.

I don't bath them every time, I just chuck a bucket of water over them or dunk them in the cattle trough.

I walk a client's collie that is a compulsive roller. Really pees me off as it takes me ages to clean her when I drop her off. The only way to stop her would be to keep her on a lead, as she will seek it out.

I've not known any dogs to actually roll in dog poo though. Strange.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Ive noticed a lot of people have mentioned bitches loving it, someone needs to run a ladette to lady course for dogs
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Eau de cow muck Bonnie finds irresistable - second only to fox poop. After eating her fill she will spread it in gay abandon all over and it lingers as a delicate shade of green in her coat for days. The fox poop she thinks is most effectively applied in dabs and smears behind the ears, on the cheeks and under the chin.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:07 PM
My male BCxlab will roll in any dead stinking animal he can find. My other dog pays it no attention at all.

No idea why
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
My male BCxlab will roll in any dead stinking animal he can find. My other dog pays it no attention at all.

No idea why
My delightful and pretty looking cavvy used to love to roll in any stinking rotting fish on the beach. Cuttlefish were particularly stinky and some had an ammonia smell when rotting. 'Putting her perfume on' was what we called it!

The only other dog I've had that did it was when I was a kid - and it was always cow pats over on the Wanstead Flats. We'd have to walk miles to get home because they would not let us get on the bus with her! We'd keep throwing her in the pond to clean her but she always found some more when she got out!

Those were the days when no one had a lead on their dog. Back in the fifties. No one I knew trained them either - they just went everywhere with you!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh, mine roll in dead animals too. Rolling in a dead bird or mouse isn't particularly offensive but the worst was a dead badger. I just had my Lab at the time....the carcass was rotting and crawling with maggots. The stench was horrendous and he still smelt of it for weeks.
And I bet you can still smell it at the back of your nostrils just writing about it.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
And I bet you can still smell it at the back of your nostrils just writing about it.
Mindy came from the back corridor yesterday covered in cat litter

It appears she has been in the corridor between the back door and the kitchen door, and helped herself to supper of cat poo
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Many years ago, Human beings had wonderful little books called the I-Spy series.

There was the I-Spy book of Dogs;
the I-Spy book of Birds;
the I-Spy book of Cars;
the I-Spy book of Trains, and even the I-Spy Book of Trainspotters. (I made that up actually).
...but there were hundreds, on every subject you could think of.

It meant that bored children on bad holidays or long car journeys could tick up what they saw and get points - encouraging observation, identification (and perhaps obsession re trains etc).

I loved them, as did everyone in my generation.

What isn't known if course is that dogs have their own equivalent - The I-Sniff books.
There is the I-Sniff book of Furry Running Things
(sequel = the I-Sniff Book of Small furry scuttling things;
The I-Sniff Book of Fluttery things and its appendix,
the I-Sniff Book of crawly creatures
and of course the celebrated I-Sniff Book of Poo. Every dog loves this one.

There is the I-Sniff Book of Snorts as well, but that's limited to drug detection dogs.

Merlin has a copy of the I-Sniff Book Of Poo, and I did get a peek into his copy.

Apparently, Human Poo is 100 points - because there are so many humans about, it is very rare to actually find any of their scats. You get and extra 50 points if you roll in it.

Poo of an endangered species is 200 points.

Badger poo is 100 points because it is so very nice and smelly... also of a sloppy consistency that means you can take it home by rolling in it, and ypou get and extra 50 points if your owners are disgusted.

Fox poo is nice but doesn't get full marks, mainly because it is dry and doesn't stick to the fur very well.

There are some Specials, 100 points for a dead cuttlefish, extra 50 points per day it's been dead.

Unfortunately there is a 50 point decductuion on all of these if you can't keep them for 12 hours without some kind of a bath or wash-down with scent removing chemicals.

Sad to say Merlin's marks are waaaay down because I rub in some biological washing liquid into his coat then rinse out, without needing a proper bath - this reduces his points for scent-retention almost completely. Full baths have a 100-point deduction.

The I-Sniff books are quite informative, they liken it to the days before photographs when people would chip off pieces of ancient monuments to take home as souvenirs.

Dogs see the world through their noses so a camera is useless to them, hence rolling in something is a way of taking a nice smell home to sniff at leisure.

There is one smell that gets only 10 points in the I-Sniff, despite being very rare and endangered. That is Otter poo - it is extremely rare, but it smells nice to people, hence it's low rating.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5