Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I agree that both raw and home cooking can be very flexible and can work well for that reason.

You were asking why some people favour home cooking - in my case it's because the tray of wet dog food my Lab has every day is just not enough. I won't feed kibble, and though he does get some raw meat, when he was on totally raw for a while he had a constant upset stomach and also gobbled the food so fast it was alarming.

I did a lot of research before putting him on raw, weeks and weeks of reading in fact.

He still enjoys a few meals of raw meat each week, but he also seems to do very well with a home cooked meal almost every day, in addition to the tray of wet dog food.

I also think it's worth remembering that dogs survived on our (cooked) left overs for quite a long time prior to the advent of 'pet food', so some people would argue they are just as well suited to cooked food as to raw.

The bolded bit; I think that one could be thrown round and round though There was a time when they lived off freebie butcher bones, the odd cooked leftover and a can of Chappie once a week (as a treat!) So it could be argued that the most of the meal was raw, likely it changed all the time

As for recipies, like I said I didnt actually read the books on cooking but I know there is a vet that advocates feeding a diet of 1/3 cooked rice or potatoes, 1/3 meat (to be varied each week) and one third veg, as a healthy diet. However I really could not say much more than that as I dont do cooking (for anyone ) or feed much in the way of grain, or in fact fruit or veg, Loui just doesnt seem to like it tbh (fruit and veg) Its a shame really as he likes stuff like beef, cottage cheese, yoghurt...all of course, from cows
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Those who proselytise about any particular diet are pretty tiresome. Raw is great, but it is not the One True Way of dog feeding. I'm sure a well researched home cooked diet is fine, not 'as bad' as commercial food because there's nothing wrong with feeding that either! It's not just raw feeders who research their dog's diet
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Those who proselytise about any particular diet are pretty tiresome. Raw is great, but it is not the One True Way of dog feeding. I'm sure a well researched home cooked diet is fine, not 'as bad' as commercial food because there's nothing wrong with feeding that either! It's not just raw feeders who research their dog's diet
I'm not sure anyone said that every one should feed their dog a raw diet
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Never implied that, but some have clearly stated they think any other diet is inferior.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Never implied that, but some have clearly stated they think any other diet is inferior.
I have found "raw feeders" to be very evangelical almost in their fervour to convert you to their way of feeding
Perhaps that is because they are so happy with the diet though and how their dog is healthy and happy.

I never mention to other people that they should feed a certain way though I did comment to one owner that I chat to regularly that he was feeding his dog rubbish when I saw him with a bag of Baker's in his mobility scooter basket (I did put it more tactfully than that). His dog sadly died since-it was the extra-fat Cavalier
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Sad, I hate to see obese dogs, it's killing with kindness In all fairness though, even though I personally wouldn't touch Bakers with a bargepole, any food can make a dog fat if overfed, and I'd rather see a slim dog that's fed, say, Pedigree, to name a much derided brand, than a fat raw fed dog. JMO.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Very well said, I totally agree
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
So I don't bashed for changing the tone of the thread or whatever, I'm off to start a new one on home-cooked diets for dogs.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5