Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
In defence of Des who posted the quote (did you ask him if he minded Leanne - as a moderator on that board, I do feel a little uncomfortable that this thread has included his quoted comments but that's another story), he is a very well respected field trialler of pointers.

Have a look here - if you can see it without being a member -just read the t&cs on this site and it says links to other forums is not allowed so apologies for thatand you will see he does a lot with his dogs. You need to put a lot of work in to get the results that Des gets. If not, search for Glencuan and you will see all about him. His dogs are working dogs.

My kennel dogs don't have fluffy toys bought for them. They play with each other, with leaves etc etc and of course training and working is playing to them. I wouldn't say that they miss out because they don't have a toy specifically bought for them, they play their own games.

Helen
No, I didnt ask Des because it wasnt supposed to be about him personally. I know he is well respected and successful gundog owner/trainer but his comment struck me as bizarre and so I wanted to discuss the subject on here. I used his quote merely because it summed up perfectly what I wanted to discuss and it was succinct enough for a thread title. I went on to post the full paragraph that the quote was included in because I thought it painted a fairer picture, rather than just picking out a bit and taking it out of context.

In hindsight, it wasnt a good idea to use his quote and I realise that but in my defence, as I have said, it was never meant to be a subject about Des and his dogs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
No, I didnt ask Des because it wasnt supposed to be about him personally. I know he is well respected and successful gundog owner/trainer but his comment struck me as bizarre and so I wanted to discuss the subject on here. I used his quote merely because it summed up perfectly what I wanted to discuss and it was succinct enough for a thread title. I went on to post the full paragraph that the quote was included in because I thought it painted a fairer picture, rather than just picking out a bit and taking it out of context.

In hindsight, it wasnt a good idea to use his quote and I realise that but in my defence, as I have said, it was never meant to be a subject about Des and his dogs
It is his post therefore it is about his opinion and he did not choose to post it here. It's not really a defence at all. You could have discussed the topic easily without the cross-posted quotes but you chose to post his words here without permission anyway. I also felt uncomfortable with someones posts being taken from another forum...just sayin'!

Overall I think its a case of 'what games does your dog play' rather than toys perhaps?

I.e. If the training is a game to them and they find it very highly rewarding and go home satisfied and ready to rest then I doubt there is a point to risking their training through leaving toys around willy nilly. I do, however think that dogs are capable of knowing the difference between a game they play with you (using a toy) and their 'work'

Edit; If its a case of anyone who does not work their dog being lazy, hence the play, then obviously I don't necessarily agree with that but then I dont know the context behind his quote in full....
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5