View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 03:32 PM
ok none the wiser! vet did no test had to see the big cheif said as he was aggresive this time he will always be aggresive if he has another one he may not have another on but may have one tomorrow!!!
he advised to be pts due to his age but i said not now as kids and breeder hadnt said goodbye but i just dont know what to do hes def changed in the last 2 weeks but hes more loving and clingy so somethings wrong with his brain.
ive got the crate out for him to sleep in when im out or at night time and OH is away til friday and cant do it by myself hell have to take him but kids are dead against it and i just dont know what to do
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
ok none the wiser! vet did no test had to see the big cheif said as he was aggresive this time he will always be aggresive if he has another one he may not have another on but may have one tomorrow!!!
he advised to be pts due to his age but i said not now as kids and breeder hadnt said goodbye but i just dont know what to do hes def changed in the last 2 weeks but hes more loving and clingy so somethings wrong with his brain.
ive got the crate out for him to sleep in when im out or at night time and OH is away til friday and cant do it by myself hell have to take him but kids are dead against it and i just dont know what to do
Your vet was wrong & shouldve performed every test under the sun...its not his decision to tell you to pts cos of his age until tests have been done...blumming hek couldnt he have stuck a needle in to take bloods? Its funny my NI was aggressive all the time, but the vets still treated her, just with a muzzle on.
So dissappointed at the vets you are dealing with...Cant you find some-one to give a second opinion?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 03:55 PM
it's the vets job to treat aggressive dogs....! They require treatment same as any other dog. Every vet has to handle any aggressive dog at times, and it sounds like your lad is fine now he's over it. My boy tries to eat the vet every single time! I've never had him refused treatment, just he has to be muzzled Something doesn't sound right about your vets, they seem very unhelpful and very quick to suggest put to sleep (they've done it twice now) without knowing what they are dealing with! How can they suggest that without a diagnosis?

I'm glad he seems to have got over it for now, and u hope he doesn't have another one. I think you need to not make any hasty decisions until you know what you are dealing with. Good luck.
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Disgraceful veterinary advice and one that should receive a formal complaint when you are in a more stable state.
Go find a new Practice and get a full diagnostic work up - then and only then will you be in a positoin to make an informed decision ... it does not always follow that a dog will be aggressive after subsequentr fits .. ESPECIALLY AS WE DON;T KNOW WHAT CAUSED THIS!!!

It is probably wise to have a fit protocol/ practice ( like a fire drill) should this happen again so that you and evryone else knows exactly how to respond to minimise injury to the dog and yourselves .. please go get some decent veterinary support to help you through this xxxx
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Find another vet ASAP and take him there for tests. This one sounds like a complete and utter a**hole to be honest. He hasn't even done bloodwork for crying out loud!

Having read your posts over the last few years on a few forums I don't think you'd be happy yourself if you just put him to sleep without having a clue what was going on. Give yourself a bit of time to get over the shock of it, talk it over with your family, find another vet and get some tests done and see what happens. Maybe the end result will be that he needs to be put to sleep but at least you'll know you've done what you could.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I am so glad he is better if not completely back to his normal self.

Ollie was treated when ill he had to stay in hospital for 10 days he was not aggressive as such but very nervous and if pushed would probably of bitten. They found a way made friends with him and treated him.

If it is some kind of seizures they can be managed I am sure of course it may not be that but he does deserve a chance for tests to then make a decision about his future or not.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 04:50 PM
but when i took him to the vets he wasnt aggressive at all calm and loving i put on a muzzle for the vet as soon as we got out the muzzle was off!!
im not in the right state of mind hence why im having second thoughts i dont want him to suffer but if he never has another one hes otherwise healthy .
will speak with my husband when he gets back on friday they gave me some diazapan if he has another one but again confused cos he told me not to give it to him unless i was feeling really safe (this is when hes having a fit) and put it in his mouth now when i got out to get the meds from the nurse she then said it had to be rectal!
the other vet has just called and said if it happens again pop him in so may go to her to see if she will do the tests
and have just noticed his back legs are wobbly.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I can't think of a reason they should refuse to do tests if you ask. If he's never had a seizure before then you need to find out WHY if possible. There are a lot of things that can cause them from simply being a bit stressed to brain tumours.

I have seizures regularly and can tell you that I don't suffer. I'm stiff and sore for a few days, kinda like when you've over done it at the gym, and I've usually bitten my tongue but thats about it. I remember nothing about the seizure itself, I would imagine it's the same for dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree with the vet---unless you can put absolute fail safes in place to protect everyone.

I know how sacry it can be when they come out and behave like that---it is no holds barred and it can get worse and you have children and other dogs to consider.

If he really goes the crate may not hold him----it didn't hold Billie when she was out of her head scared of a noise.

Personally I wouldn't put him through the tests----if it is a brain tumour there is no answer, if it is fits for another reason it takes time to sort out drugs and in that time he might hurt someone badly.

I'd let him go with dignity.

You can't risk walking him off lead in case it happens----what will you do on lead if it happens? How is he going to feel about being isolated most of the time?

I feel for you--its a horrid situaltion.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Whilst I agree about putting safe measures in place exp as kids are involved..I would go for a second opinion rather that pts straight away!(If kids can be kept safe)

My 13year old collie had a series of fits a couple of weeks ago.....first thing mentioned was brain tumor and that was before they even examined him!!!...his bloods were fine and he hasn't had anymore sinse.

'Putting him through tests'?? A blood sample is very quick,even if the dog doesn't like it its over very quickly,it may flag something up that may or may not lead u to pts,but I feel its the leat that should be done.

at the end of the day the decsion is yours and yours alone not even the vets!

More {{hugs}} for u both.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >