View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't cotton wool mine, they are not my substitute child... well maybe but not obviously!! I think its my job to keep them safe and give them the best life I can provide... I also love smelling their popcorn smelling feet!! I do all the husbandry it takes to keep them healthy... good diet, grooming, trimming, vets as and when...
As I say I love my dogs, I respect other people's dogs, I hate the abuse of any other dog and doG help anyone who hurts one of my gang!!
My preference though in the dog world is gundogs, especially Setters and Pointers, haven't met any I haven't liked... yet!!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I worry that my dog is my substitute child

We are a product of our own genetic makeup which includes a nurturing instinct. It is this faculty to foster, support and nourish that we employ when we have either children or pets. If we did not use the same faculties then we would not be doing it right.

I do not have children but I still posess the same instincts to nurture as the rest of my species. That instinct finds an outlet in my dogs. Some may call that a child substitute - I prefer to think of it as a clever way to avoid parenthood and all the sticky fingers, teenage strops and car repairs that such inevitably entails.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Well having read this I realise I'm not actually a dog lover. I like dogs, work for their welfare & would never kmowingly be cruel but I'm a GSD lover, mine & anyone elses. There's definitely a difference.
I am bit like this with Springers!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
We are a product of our own genetic makeup which includes a nuturing instinct. It is this faculty to foster, support and nourish that we employ when we have either children or pets. If we did not use the same faculties then we would not be doing it right.

I do not have children but I still posess the same instincts to nuture as the rest of my species. That instinct finds an outlet in my dogs. Some may call that a child substitute - I prefer to think of it as a clever way to avoid parenthood and all the sticky fingers, teenage strops and car repairs that such inevitably entails.
Spot on!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
To me it means caring about dogs, and not just my own dog - and putting them first wherever reasonably possible.

Of course I don't mean literally looking after everyone else's dogs (wish I had the money to!) I mean looking out for the welfare of dogs, that they are not exploited, that they are cared for and given the respect they deserve as a living creature. And providing companionship and everything else my own dog needs.

It's about stopping the car if I notice a stray - and trying to find their owner.

Campaigning or supporting groups or causes that I feel are acting in the best interests of dogs.

Doing my bit to help educate owners on how to care for their dogs.

etc

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
My dogs mean the world to me. I would do anything for their comfort and happiness. I would also do the same for ANY dog that crossed my path, under pretty much any circumstances.
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
PS-sometimes people use the word "love" but to me they are not dog lovers-like the lady on "It's me or the dog" who had 6 dogs she "loved" but she never walked them! Love is about responsibility to enhance and enrich life not just gushy feelings.
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think it means that you love the sheer dogginess of them. I mean -
awe at their keen senses
amusement at their enthusiasm
gratitude for their affection
appreciation of their beauty
understanding of their natures

All of these pretty much sum up my views on how I would term a dog lover. I care deeply about ALL dogs, not just my own. I love learning about dogs and it never fails to amaze me at just how incredible they are

I admit that there are one or two breeds that I wouldn't necessarily chose to own but if one needed care and a home then I would never turn them away, that to me is a dog lover, putting their needs and wants before my own.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5