View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I use the Halti leads too, love them, but always have a couple of slip leads in the car for emergencies and a leather slip which I use as a figure 8 on Kiba if he's in one of his pulling moods, which is great because it's small and scrunches up to fit into any pocket. Also have a couple of the Linky leads which have a supersoft handle, very easy on the hands!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Do you all have designer leads? Sorry to be really common, but mine have a flexi a piece. Jake has a lovely padded lead also, for when there is no chance/need of a flexi. I am struggling to see the need to spend a lot of money on what is basically a line between you and your dog?
I don't think anyone has replied that they use a "designer" dog lead?

The Halti leads that are popular retail for about £5-7 depending on where you buy them from. I wouldn't call that expensive considering they last for years and years and are excellent quality and very versatile.
Itoys_mummy
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:43 AM
I know not many like these leads, but I have a retractable for my boy. It works well for us as we like him to have freedom, but we don't trust him off leash...
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I've got a flat one that was just one of the reduced to clear in Pets at Home - that I don't use too much cos if he pulls it cuts off circulation in my fingers.

Got a rope one I bought recently that I tend to use a fair bit - not as comfy to hold but long enough for my very tall hubby to use comfortably as well.

Flexi which I hardly use now but used a lot to start with - I hate using it unless it's a mooch rather than a walk near a road though... gets used down by canals and rivers as daft dog thinks because he saw the ducks walking on the frozen water mid-winter HE can walk on water as well.

Long line which hardly ever gets used and is currently still covered in sand from a trip to the beach 2 months ago.

I want to buy a nice posh co-ordinated leather lead and collar combo but I think hubby will kill me if I spend any more cash on the woofbag in the near future.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Do you all have designer leads? Sorry to be really common, but mine have a flexi a piece. Jake has a lovely padded lead also, for when there is no chance/need of a flexi. I am struggling to see the need to spend a lot of money on what is basically a line between you and your dog?

I don't think any of us have 'designer' leads from what I have read?

I certainly don't. Just two basic leads, one chain, one leather.

Those of us with very strong dogs have to use leads which are strong enough in order to be safe. If that sometimes costs a bit more, so be it - safety is paramount
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Can I ask why people don't like Flexis? My only problem with the is they are a nuisance to carry about. You can't just pop them into your pocket. There is a lady in our street who takes her two out on long lines, and she always seems to be twirling round trying to untangle them. I can't imagine I would cope with it any better with my two!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:02 AM
- would hardly call the Halti lead 'designer' - costs about £4.50 - well, it did when I brought mine about 2 years ago!

There are a few reasons I used them -
When I had 4 dogs, I only needed 2 leads.
They clip every comfortably around your body
They can extend out to a longer length if you want your dog to have a bit more freedom to sniff.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Can I ask why people don't like Flexis? My only problem with the is they are a nuisance to carry about. You can't just pop them into your pocket. There is a lady in our street who takes her two out on long lines, and she always seems to be twirling round trying to untangle them. I can't imagine I would cope with it any better with my two!
I find I prefer to have a normal lead I can wind around my hand to make the right length for walking by roads and stuff - I just find the flexi container part quite arkward to hold in those situations, and I don't quite trust the lead locking mechanism. I use the flexi when I want him to have some freedom to have a good mooch around and sniff but don't want him completely off lead, but I don't like it as a full-time only lead. It's more portable than a long line that doesn't retract, so I've usually got it in my bag in case he loses the plot completely like he can do on occasions.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Erm, designer??! Nope. I have two leather leads that I was given for pressies, a couple of nylon police style leads from a working dog supplier and my good old Halti lead, which is my fave of the lot. They cost less than £10!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:36 AM

I don't have anything against Flexis, apart from when my sister has her border terrier on one and it is constantly at full length and she keeps swapping sides and tripping me up

I have no need for flexis as I live in the middle of the countryside and my dogs are rarely on lead.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >