View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I know who bred Poppy, and they are great people, im just not having another (Rough) Collie

Happy to go back to Dogs Trust and Pro Dogs Direct tho
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sorry if this is OT and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm genuinely curious....how do you end up going to a "bad breeder"?I have never had a dog from a breeder, mine have been rescues, but I will go to a breeder sometime and it's interesting to know what pit falls to look for.

So those who said "No way!", why did you get a dog from them in the first place? Most people wouldn't get a dog from someone they considered a bad breeder. I don't mean this in a horrible way! Was it ignorence, did you not research properly first and know better now? Were you rescuing a dog from bad conditions? Did things you didn't know about come to light after you'd got your dog (like questionable ethics or bad health? Did you fall out with the breeder after getting your dog?

Genuine curiosity
Thinking I was going about things the right way, I decided to go a breeder who registers their pups with the K.C., their website stating words to the effect that " all adults used in our breeding programme must meet the strict requirements for breeding, i.e. Hip Scores, Haemophilia, Bree Survey etc..."

It was only later (much later, after we'd had the dog a good while) that I realised that GSD 's (Dam) hip score of 14 isn't necessarily a good score when it's 11/3.

After looking closely at their website I saw their first home bred Champion was proudly used as stud with hips of 24 (not really in keeping with the "only breeding for the improvement of the breed " ethos).

Our dog was apparently kept as the pick of the litter with intention of being shown, at 4 months they realised she wouldn't make it for whatever reason and sold her. Over the next few years I noticed this happening regularly, a dog of between 4 and 12 months would come up for sale some time after a litter.

Then there's the ex breeding bitches now retired from the show ring who deserve a comfortable retirement home...

So in answer to your question, it was down to a lack of knowledge on my behalf really, but I'll know better next time (not that there will be a next time - too many in rescue).

To answer th OP, that's a no for me, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else either.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I would go back to Leo's, Ruby's and Lottie's beeeders for a new puppy.

I did not buy Tegan from her breeder but would not buy one get another from them. She was sold without endorsements which allowed her old owners to beed a litter from her at just over a year old
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Thinking I was going about things the right way, I decided to go a breeder who registers their pups with the K.C., their website stating words to the effect that " all adults used in our breeding programme must meet the strict requirements for breeding, i.e. Hip Scores, Haemophilia, Bree Survey etc..."

It was only later (much later, after we'd had the dog a good while) that I realised that GSD 's (Dam) hip score of 14 isn't necessarily a good score when it's 11/3.

After looking closely at their website I saw their first home bred Champion was proudly used as stud with hips of 24 (not really in keeping with the "only breeding for the improvement of the breed " ethos).

Our dog was apparently kept as the pick of the litter with intention of being shown, at 4 months they realised she wouldn't make it for whatever reason and sold her. Over the next few years I noticed this happening regularly, a dog of between 4 and 12 months would come up for sale some time after a litter.

Then there's the ex breeding bitches now retired from the show ring who deserve a comfortable retirement home...

So in answer to your question, it was down to a lack of knowledge on my behalf really, but I'll know better next time (not that there will be a next time - too many in rescue).

To answer th OP, that's a no for me, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else either.
Thanks. That's really interesting and that sort of thing must be easily done. It's such a minefield out there! Now I'll know what to look out for
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5