Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
Problems arose (with horses) that when the chip was read it often didn't match the passport. Just having a chip number doesn't mean you could trace the horse as there isn't an international database.

Therefore any old horse could be imported over here and sold by dealers - this is a common practise.

My point is that if every dog were to be micro chipped there would have to be an international database for it to succeed. At present I think there are several in this country alone.

But, yes, I do agree that this would be a step forward if you could get the Government to enforce a one stop data base.
There maybe a few different databases but there is a standard as regard to chips. Our chip can be read overseas and knowing a dog won't be on a data base if it enters this country mean they just need a precedure to make sure it is entered.
In all we have a system that just needs tweeking to give use tracability next comes the accountability and that were we need the most changes because right now you can do what you like and just say sold the dog a month ago and get off scot free.

I think the compulsion to micro chip and accountability for any pet registered is an easier route and the most cost effective.

It would take for ever to set up a passport scheme for dogs in great part to the huge numbers of dogs in the uk.

The numbers for horses is miniscule in comparison and even with that by your own admission it falls down when a horse is imported and chips don't match.
Well any dog imported will also already have a pet passport and be chipped so no different to horses.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
All we need is traceability and accountability.
Indeed, and licensing is one technique to do this.

The individual issue of licensing would not, in itself, solve this. but, combined with some decent legislation and other measures, such as compulsory microchipping and insurance, it will control it.

The key word is control.

There is not one thing that can reduce any of society's issues, but merely measures that can reduce and control the bad elements. You can extend this to anything really and this is the reason why any legislation is in force.

As dog owners we cannot constantly say no to additional controls and legislation then be naiive to think that we can carry on normal dog ownership. All it takes is another series of media-friendly dog attacks for extreme measures to come in.

'the best time to fix the roof is when the sun is shining'
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:10 AM
If we have compulsory microchipping what will a license or passport give that is extra.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
Leadstaffs - I agree with this. All foals have to microchipped now and have a passport supporting this. Problems do arise though when animals are imported - very often their passport does not match the animal (its microchip) and unfortunately the traceability ends there!

Dobermann: to pick up on some of your questions - no I certainly do not think that someone needs to have a certain level of income to own a dog.

I can see you are wholeheartedly upset about the recession - aren't we all, it effects each and everyone of us (particularly fuel prices)it has affected many to the point of no longer having a job to tax a car, never mind using fuel so to add another bill on to people in recession - this is only the start - is not going to help anyone but do you not think that the recession is leading to more dogs being rehomed?
yep, and adding a transfer fee for a license to rescues would mean even less money to spend on looking after the dogs, plus all those who are deeply affected by the recession have yet another bill to pay

Maybe if some system was in place at grass routes level this might be lessened?

I worked in the police force for 11 yrs - just before I left there was a drive to put a Wildlife Crime officer in each district. And although they obviously didn't prioritise pet dog problems - they did deal with sheep attacks etc so maybe with a bit of strong persuasion they could encompass pet animals too?
In an ideal world yes, it would help, but of course there will never be funding for this, heck, the funding is cut whilst crime can be on an increase so I really dont see it ever happening
And to whoever said about self elected charity enforcing officers - I agree. Maybe this area should be looked at by the Government, but all the while the RSPCA are doing the job at no cost to them - I find it unlikely
I agree, hence it goes 'unregulated' too

Back to Dobermann - could you please list the current legislation that is in place but not being enforced?
the legislation/laws that the RSPCA and SSPCA are currently using to prosecute and seize dogs etc, as well as the usual DDA etc but I also think that if the police are going to enforce this more training should be given....
From my own personal point of view I cannot think of any legislation whatsoever that would make me think for one second about buying another dog, breeding from dogs, walking them loose over the moors, taking them riding with me (obviously loose) along a public road/right of way etc.
but those things in themselves, depending in circumstance are not actually the problem
If someone came to my house and one of my dogs bit them they wouldn't have any rights to sue me - only if my dog left the boundry of my own property and threatened another person or animal or caused an accident. Thats the only legislation I can think of. Other than byelaws about picking up dog mess or byelaws of prohibitive dog areas.
again, not being enforced so there is no way the government will put funding into 'bigger' legislation regardless of yet again another tax added on...
Oh - and the Dangerous Dog Act of course
Hope that answers your questions/my views on this
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree the microchip is the start. It should be made against the law to sell or buy a dog without a microchip. Note I have stressed or buy. There will always be the rogue trying to sell a dog with no chip, no papers etc if you are liable if you buy it as you would be if you bought stolen goods, it may make people think twice.
If we go down the line of licences then I think it needs to be the person who has the licence.
I would be prepared to pay for a licence, I used to have one when they were 7 shillings & 6 pence but like my driving licence which covers me for driving a car or multiple cars I'd want it to cover me for having a dog or multiple dogs. I occassionally foster for the charity I work for but I couldn't aford it if I had to buy a licence for each one I fostered for a month or more. Whats more the charity couldn't afford it either.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I agree the microchip is the start. It should be made against the law to sell or buy a dog without a microchip. Note I have stressed or buy. There will always be the rogue trying to sell a dog with no chip, no papers etc if you are liable if you buy it as you would be if you bought stolen goods, it may make people think twice.
If we go down the line of licences then I think it needs to be the person who has the licence.
I would be prepared to pay for a licence, I used to have one when they were 7 shillings & 6 pence but like my driving licence which covers me for driving a car or multiple cars I'd want it to cover me for having a dog or multiple dogs. I occassionally foster for the charity I work for but I couldn't aford it if I had to buy a licence for each one I fostered for a month or more. Whats more the charity couldn't afford it either.
Why should I have to have my dogs microchipped after all they are all tattooed ?

Why should I have to license my dogs when dog licensing doesn't work if the owners get nothing back from the fee. It doesn't work in Northern Ireland were there is compulsory licensing & the number of strays per head of population is far higher than any other of the countries in the United Kingdom.

License the owners before they can obtain a dog & anyone who is in charge of a dog should also have to be licensed-so no licence no dogs out in public.......Ah we have that we cars & motorbikes etc don't we & people still drive without them !!

In Germany there is a yearly Dog Tax, but they do get land provided for training clubs & trained qualified dogs are licensed at a lower rate. You rarely see stray dogs in Germany I wonder why ??
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-02-2011, 08:18 PM
The compulsory microchipping of dogs will have one effect only, it will create a black Market in unsullied dogs. The people who allow there dogs to wander unchecked will get their dogs this way. With police and local authority budgets shrinking every year, they will have neither the manpower the funds, or the will to worry about unlicensed dogs. So the good dog owners will again comply, while the problem dogs will carry on as usual.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why should I have to have my dogs microchipped after all they are all tattooed ?

Why should I have to license my dogs when dog licensing doesn't work if the owners get nothing back from the fee. It doesn't work in Northern Ireland were there is compulsory licensing & the number of strays per head of population is far higher than any other of the countries in the United Kingdom.

License the owners before they can obtain a dog & anyone who is in charge of a dog should also have to be licensed-so no licence no dogs out in public.......Ah we have that we cars & motorbikes etc don't we & people still drive without them !!

In Germany there is a yearly Dog Tax, but they do get land provided for training clubs & trained qualified dogs are licensed at a lower rate. You rarely see stray dogs in Germany I wonder why ??
Personally I prefer the tattoo but with pet passports the chip is going to be the method of choice internationally. Its becoming so even in Germany now & I can't see most people doing both, though my dogs are, & a system which allows either/or is not going to work.
I don't want licences but if it has to be all I'm saying is don't penalise those of us who take in fosters who stay & we become multi household owners by charging us per dog.
This does bring on another subject though of how many dogs one household licence would cover.
Do think if it could ever come about that dogs with Good Citizen Awards got a lower licence fee it would be wonderful but thats something Ican't imagine ever coming true.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5