Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Lynn i don't do bullying especially from people who think they know everything, i've sat back for too long and seen Dawn and her cronies do it to other people, and they won't do it to me, i'm fed up with the whole rescues are any less worthy than a dog from a reputable breeder, i'm passionate about what i do for springer rescue, and i know what that involves, i'm very cheeky when it comes to getting things to help them and will beg steal and borrow if necessary, to insinuate that i sit on here all day winging is just utter C**p but if it makes her feel better let her go for it, i see the vets bills on a monthly basis,and know what it costs, i know we have got the best deals out of all the vets that we use in all the areas we have foster homes in.

People will quiet happily pay £300 - £400 pound on a well bred pup that even if its from health tested parents there are no gurantees that its temperament will be sound and it will be healthy, but won't pay £150 for a neutered, vacced, microchipped, thoroughly assesed dog, theres something wrong somewhere
I agree - this seems a very sad attitude.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Rescues are not a single organisation. They vary from the single person with a field and a caravan to an international organisation. It can also include commercial Pounds and breeders who home on `returns`.
Each Rescue has their own aims / policies / way of managing their business.

I really don`t think that people who criticise `Rescues` understand this. Or that the primary aim of most Rescues is simply the welfare of the dogs. This means a lot of them have learned the hard way that some members of the General Public are liars and opportunists. Working in Rescue gives you a very jaundiced view of the human race.
In addition, most people in Rescue are volunteers. That means they may well be working full time and simply not be either able or willing to answer your email in the time you would wish, and also cannot afford to call you back on your mobile.
Rescues are not there to get you a dog - cheap or otherwise. They are there because people cannot bear seeing an animal suffer.
I'm probably going to get crucified for this, but this is where I have a problem!!
I've had experience first hand of one man band rescues and I'm not sure all them have the interest of the dogs at heart and some of them see it as a money making venture, some even regularily fund raise and only rehome a few dogs a year and I'd like to see some sort of regulating body to stop abuse (and not the RSPCA !!!).
By the way Lizzie this is not aimed at you I've seen the excellant work you do and I know how hard you work for little or no thanks, I think you probably know who I'm referring to as well
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I'm probably going to get crucified for this, but this is where I have a problem!!
I've had experience first hand of one man band rescues and I'm not sure all them have the interest of the dogs at heart and some of them see it as a money making venture, some even regularily fund raise and only rehome a few dogs a year and I'd like to see some sort of regulating body to stop abuse (and not the RSPCA !!!).
By the way Lizzie this is not aimed at you I've seen the excellant work you do and I know how hard you work for little or no thanks, I think you probably know who I'm referring to as well
Actually, you`re proving my point - that `rescues` are so diverse you can`t consider them as an entity.
There are also the `Collectors` who accumulate animals in appalling conditions, and also the commercial Pounds who take strays on contracts from the local Councils. We had one here that was actually shut down by the RSPCA it was so bad.
Then there are the con merchants who act as agents and sell on rescue dogs.
All of this needs regulating, but while the RSPCA is expected to uphold the law on animal welfare, not the police, any regulations will be ignored.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:10 PM

I know the one you're on about Jaqui and yes have often said that about him, See you at Harewood by the way, Fran has us Booked in
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I know the one you're on about Jaqui and yes have often said that about him, See you at Harewood by the way, Fran has us Booked in
Thats good I'm bringing a couple of dogs for you to chip.
A little bird tells me you will be one of the only rescues there this year unless a certain person coughs up for his pitch, seems people are realising its a shop not a creche.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thats good I'm bringing a couple of dogs for you to chip.
A little bird tells me you will be one of the only rescues there this year unless a certain person coughs up for his pitch, seems people are realising its a shop not a creche.
now if i could just replace him at the CLA that would be even better , but £700 for a pitch is well out of our league
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:39 PM
now if i could just replace him at the CLA that would be even better , but £700 for a pitch is well out of our league
Started typing and decided I'd better pm you
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting thread. I'm connected with several charities & I'm just doing end of year accounts for one. Average size according to the Charities commission. Our expenses this year included about £8000 on Kennelling, because we never have enough fosterers, about £7000 on vets fees, & about £1,500 on travel expenses. Some dogs who are already neutered & go straight from one home to another do make us money but this just goes to pay for the stickers who are 2 or three months in a kennel, with vaccs to pay as well, who can cost well over £500 & that's without any illness they may have. We gear our prices to the dog not how much it has cost us so we ask a larger donation for cute puppies than we do for an oldie who has been with us for some time. This is the way all the charities I'm concerned with work, both breed specific & all breed. I can tell you that without fundraising events & appeals our dog donations would not cover our expenses. & we ask an average of £125 for our dogs.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Interesting thread. I'm connected with several charities & I'm just doing end of year accounts for one. Average size according to the Charities commission. Our expenses this year included about £8000 on Kennelling, because we never have enough fosterers, about £7000 on vets fees, & about £1,500 on travel expenses. Some dogs who are already neutered & go straight from one home to another do make us money but this just goes to pay for the stickers who are 2 or three months in a kennel, with vaccs to pay as well, who can cost well over £500 & that's without any illness they may have. We gear our prices to the dog not how much it has cost us so we ask a larger donation for cute puppies than we do for an oldie who has been with us for some time. This is the way all the charities I'm concerned with work, both breed specific & all breed. I can tell you that without fundraising events & appeals our dog donations would not cover our expenses. & we ask an average of £125 for our dogs.

And thats just it no rescue can manage on donations alone, you have to do all the other fundraising as well, a donation for a fit and well dog that doesn't need anything in the way of veterinary care, helps to pay for the ones that need £1000's spending on them
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Took your time didn't you, as it happens you do come across as You THINK you know everything, like it or lump it, and that we're all not worthy and don't know what we're talking about, did you check that the fee quoted included going back for stitches out etc and after care, what we tend to find with the cheap ones is they wack another 20 quid on for a follow up consultation, we are constantly trying to find cheaper vets and as i said before our average price is around about £100 in fact we have transported them up from the midlands because they just want too much money for routine medical care, so now you've found one give me the names and i'll contact the foster homes down there, or i'll tell you what i'll transport them down to you, they can stay at your kennels and you can take them to these vets you've found, mind forgot they're all poor deformed working springers with bowed front legs that are all going to get Artheritis in their old age so whats the point, cos they're not worth spending any money on, and just finally are you ever wrong Dawn??
Not interested in your excuses, get out and do something instead of moaning. The price is all inclusive, like I said go find out for yourself.

Yes I am wrong sometimes, about you for one. Poor you having to help the dogs on your weekend, when I woud have imagined (wrongly it seems) it was something you wanted to do. Such a shame when you have to preach that, where was I? At work!
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »