View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I try to avoid using them, if the staff try to direct me to them I reply that I don't want to be served by a machine because that means they can cut actual jobs in the future. If I have to use them - I argue back... "unexpected item in bagging area".... "yeah that's a bag - you didn't expect that did you."

The local library's got them in there now and I am not happy about being served by the evil computerized robot librarians as I refer to them.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I use them if i have a few things otherwise its easier just to go through the staffed tills especially if i'm buying alcohol as i end up waiting ages for someone to come and authorise it. They are either talking or dashing around trying to help everyone having problems.

Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I try to avoid using them, if the staff try to direct me to them I reply that I don't want to be served by a machine because that means they can cut actual jobs in the future. If I have to use them - I argue back... "unexpected item in bagging area".... "yeah that's a bag - you didn't expect that did you."

The local library's got them in there now and I am not happy about being served by the evil computerized robot librarians as I refer to them.
I work in a library and i hate our self issue machine we had to spend ages promoting it and showing people how to use it and now half the time it dosen't work so people have to come to the counter anyway!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I love self service tills-lot quicker than normal.The only one i dont like is a particular Tesco in Bedford which has a conveyor that has a mind of its own.Whenever i put stuff through it looks like im in an episode of the 'Generation game' because it goes through at such a speed.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I love self service tills-lot quicker than normal.The only one i dont like is a particular Tesco in Bedford which has a conveyor that has a mind of its own.Whenever i put stuff through it looks like im in an episode of the 'Generation game' because it goes through at such a speed.
Ha ha-hope you bought a cuddly toy in that case!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Ha ha! Lynn Truss in her book "Talk to the hand" about the decline of manners today said that when she was in a supermarket and two cashiers were talking over her about the week's tv programmes that she said "Thank you so much I shan't need to buy a TV Times now"!

I was tempted to do the same when this happened to me in M&S but chickened out. My husband doesn't see it as rude as he says they have a boring job but I think it is quite rude as you feel like you're invisible.
It's funny how everyone's different, I'm quite happy to feel invisible and only wish more checkout people would pretend like I wasn't there instead of trying to make pointless small talk!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's funny how everyone's different, I'm quite happy to feel invisible and only wish more checkout people would pretend like I wasn't there instead of trying to make pointless small talk!
Oh i dont want them to talk to me, But just shut up & do the job.....faster!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

There's one checkout assistant well known in our local Morrisons who takes FOREVER to serve you and everyone in the know does their best to avoid her, but the trouble is she's so unpopular there's never a queue at her till so it's very difficult to resist trying your luck!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I can't stand it when I buy a magazine, and the checkout person reads the front cover in detail, very slowly as she's scanning it Really does my head in! xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Yes - same here!!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:08 PM

There's one checkout assistant well known in our local Morrisons who takes FOREVER to serve you and everyone in the know does their best to avoid her, but the trouble is she's so unpopular there's never a queue at her till so it's very difficult to resist trying your luck!

Yep, we've got one of them in the local Tesco as well!

Although it's an older man in this case. He's awfully nice but can talk for Scotland and makes a conversation out of almost every item you put through! He also sings! Drives me nuts.

Sorry, but I want out the shop as quick as possible! Fair enough the usual pleases and thank yous, that's fine obviously, but the rest drives me crazy.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >