Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Maverick is 9 months old now, when i go to training or get chatting to various people at shows or out and about i always get asked "is he neutered?" i tell them "no" then get asked when he is being done- when i tell them i have no intention whatsoever to get him neutered people look so shocked!

why? ...because if it aint broke dont fix it! is my attitude, then i get the usual "he will become male aggressive" ...ermmm, i dont think so, i happen to know my dog very well and know that if anything, neutering would make him less confident (he slightly lacks confidence) and more likely to become fear aggressive.

And besides that- he is only 9 months old- very much still a baby both physically and mentally.

It just irritates me so much that i feel i have to explain my decision to people. I think if it carries on i will be tempted to ask these people to go into detail about their reasonings for neutering their dogs so young!

rant over!
then why dont you?

seems fair enough to me that people want to take an interest and ask fair questions....regardless
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:09 PM
I might be one of the people that asked and may enquire as to why/why not but I would make it clear it is to get opinions to help my confusion, and in no way judgemental, cos I know 'not a lot'!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Quite right!

I am surprised that many people keep bitches intact throughtout their lives tho

I have had bitches who have never been spayed live into their teens & young bitches(like Jessie)who have had to be spayed on medical grounds.

I do have my bitches spayed after they have had their litter(or two)I do this to ensure that they do not develop pyrometra or other hormone related conditions.

I am not in favour of castrating all dogs-there is in fact a very slightly higher factor of prostate cancer in castrated dogs & no vet will give you an actual time scale of when a castrated dog becomes sterile-the only way is to sperm test the dog on a regular basis until the sperm cease to be present)
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
then why dont you?

seems fair enough to me that people want to take an interest and ask fair questions....regardless
Well i have asked why they got them done young and the usual response is that they dont want to breed and want to stop future behavioural problems.
Its not a conversation i want to go in depth with them as whatever they say wont change my views- and i find it is actually quite an awkward conversation to have.

Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
I might be one of the people that asked and may enquire as to why/why not but I would make it clear it is to get opinions to help my confusion, and in no way judgemental, cos I know 'not a lot'!
Dont get me wrong, i dont mind people asking- i give them my reasons and why- its the people who suddenly become judgemental and almost look down their noses because im not doing it 'their' way that bothers me.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
wow what a can of worms!

We have a saying 'round the vet clinic, "You can't fix stupid, so fix the dog" I'd say 98% of the people who join (and remain active) on dog forums are likely to fall into the "intelligent and responsible" camp of dog owners....

But then there is the rest of the dog owning population that is fall into the "stupid and irresponsible" camp. Its those people that are causing the overpopulation and rampant euthanasia in shelter problem. Unfortunately it is my opinion that there people are the majority and we are the minority, thus, spaying/neutering quite rightly should be preached and all dogs rehomed through rescue should be done!

Also the "experienced dog owner" line doesn't hold water with me. I can't tell you how many people I see who've "Owned dogs all their lives" and are endlessly experienced (just ask them, they will tell you) end up with unplanned litters, or worse, planned ones the likes of which you wouldn't believe. (Like the lady that only decided she needed a vet AFTER she pulled the head off the puppy stuck in the birth canal, but a seasoned veteran dog owner don't ya know!)

I, honestly, would rather have the conversation with someone than not. That includes someone giving me the 9th degree if I'm out with an entire dog. I'm happy to answer any questions and educate. I'd rather get "why isnt your dog neutered" than, "can I mate my poodle with your collie and make caloodles"

Instead of getting incensed, just remain calm and educate the person asking you. You catch more flies with honey after all. Likely the person has never heard another side to things. We could all do with a bit of balancing.
Great post !
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I think my answer would be if it ain't broke don't fix it, but of course that isn't always enough for some as other people have said.

If I had a quid for every person that has "advised" me to get Oscar neutered because of his fearful behaviour I'd be on my way to Hawaii this summer!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I think my answer would be if it ain't broke don't fix it, but of course that isn't always enough for some as other people have said.

If I had a quid for every person that has "advised" me to get Oscar neutered because of his fearful behaviour I'd be on my way to Hawaii this summer!
Would there be enough to take me with you
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I'm afraid I would be one of those asking the questions - better to ask and perhaps prevent someone having unwanted puppies than keep quiet I think. Sorry if that offends.
Arh but maybe you're one of those orrible rescue people

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You would get very short shift from me.

People who have the same opinion as yourself, should consider first is the owner an experienced dog owner. I've owned dogs since I was 8 years of age & the only behavioural problems we have had was between two bitches, the dogs always kept themselves well out of the way. My vets know better than to even suggest neutering any of my dogs

I've currently got 4 entire males, one entire female & one spayed female. My spayed bitch was spayed because of her very odd seasons & was found to have ovarian problems when she was spayed. I will not be having my puppy bitch spayed & I do not intend to have my dogs castrated either.

Invasive operations should not be used as a form of birth control
Puppies under the age of 12 months I do, if they do not trust the people they are rehoming the dog/bitch to then they should not allow them to have a dog QED
)
I wondered when it would get round to having a go at rescuse - didnt take long. Because of course its only rescues who ever get it wrong!

Dogs die under GAs being neutered & puppies are more susceptible to GAs than adults.

I don't go around sledging owners of neutered dogs telling them their dogs should be entire, that's the difference between me & the neuter every dog asap people.

I have advised my neighbour to have his whippet bitch spayed, he's not interested in breeding & hasn't got enough garden to keep her in whilst in season she has to be walked to exercise her & no she wasn't let off lead whilst in season, however she isn't a puppy & has had a season so her growth will not be affected-neither will her behaviour stay in puppyhood.

Sorry by allowing a neutered dog to stray & thinking it's OK because it cannot have puppies or(eventually in the case of males)will be sterile is not responsible. Castrated males can & do mate & tie with in season bitches & dogs castrated too early end up being seen as bitches by other dogs(both neutered & entire depending on when the neutering was done) There are several neutered dogs that roam our village & in the nearest city the number is huge(that comes from the DW not just guessing)

We have a GSD who was castrated too early come to training(he belongs to a friend who got him as a rehome already done)he is huge bigger than any GSD I've seen except one(& he was naturally a tall dog), but he lacks the body he should have by now(he's now 3)& worst of all the vet bungled the op & he had to be done(because he was done too early-vet admitted this)
Yet you would give them short shift if they even asked you? And you advise your neighbour to have invasive surgery?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

But if you wait til its broke with pyro it could well be too late to fix!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Rescues are now neutering as early as 8 weeks of age here in the UK.
Really?!!!

Oh my goodness! Who?! They need reporting, that's terrible.

As I said earlier we (wrongly) got our female done before her first season - it was taking ages to come, she was just under a year old by then and the vet recommended we did it then, so we did, because I was clueless about seasons and worried about our intact male. I do believe her scatty puppy behaviour still now at the age of 3 is due to this. I wish someone had warned me, so please everyone, keep informing people of this fact, I make sure I do now! Not to put anyone off getting them done, I personally 'agree' with speying - get them speyed but wait till they're old enough, I wish someone had told us I actually love her puppyish antics and wouldn't have her any other way, she's loopy gorgeous! But just feel a bit guilty that we did it 'wrong'.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »