Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Gems
Yeah castration did make it worse, he wasnt scared so much because he would keep on at the dogs when he got up to them, and try and bite them.
I was young and naive and the vet swayed me .Literally after he had it done he started having really bad skin problems and he general condition went downhill.
We had him done as he had aggression problems, castrating him made them alot worse, he is much better now, but was a nighmare until about a year ago.
Hi Gems just interested how do you know the problems got worse/developed as a result of castration and would not have arisen anyway?

I think people often attribute problems that arise after spaying / neutering to the op when some these things would have occurred anyway. My family/friends/me have never had a problem with neutered dogs coats/weight or otherwise and I do wish more people would get their dogs and bitches routinely done.
There have been so many people around me with accidental litters ,Toby the Lab from the old rectory is responsible for at least three litters, I would 'do' him myself if he came near enough One woman has had two accidental litters ..kept four puppies each time and had to have the last lot taken away by the RSPCA because she could not handle them when they got older. Two other people I know around here have had their dogs killed on the road because they ran off after bitches.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Gems just interested how do you know the problems got worse/developed as a result of castration and would not have arisen anyway?

I think people often attribute problems that arise after spaying / neutering to the op when some these things would have occurred anyway. (
Very well said Mini. I totally agree with your observation on this issue.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Jackbox....

A friend of mine has just had her 6month old St.Bernard done , on the advice of her vet, and the poor thing has been very ill since the op, had a very bad reaction to the after op drugs, needless to say she wishes she hadnt had him done.
I am not trying to frighten you , but these are the things you must concider before you make your mind up.

I hope your friend has changed their vet. Poor dog. He should never have suggested having him done till he was fully grown, especially being a giant breed.
Hope he feels well soon, (the dog that is )

Julie
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5