View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 10:44 PM
We've got a mixed bunch at the moment, and I love each of the breeds for different reasons, although Gracie isn't what you'd expect a springer to be, so I expect to shocked if/when we got another one!

I couldn't have just one breed, I like too many, and I like to use my dogs for beating and picking up, so it's ideal to have a mixed bunch! My friends the same, her and her pack are called 'The Liquorice Allsorts!'

I'm definatly a gundog girl though, although I do like a terrier thrown in the mix as well! Theres lots of different gundog breeds I would love to add to my bunch!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I grew up with dogs, and did some training with one of my family's crossbreeds, where I met GSDs and BCs, and in fact one of the club members had obedience Class C BCs who were amazing to watch working. So I grew up knowing that when I could have a dog of my own, I wanted a breed I could do things with... so either a BC or GSD.

Couldn't have a dog for many years as it turned out, as I went to live in London but my sister in the meantime had GSDs.

Only 3 years after moving though I met some people who had GSDs and ran a small training club. They invited me to jusdge two novelty classes at their tiny little fun charity dog show and there I met and handled a breed I'd never heard of before, and fell in love - they were Tervuerens, a pair, dog and bitch.

It was hard to find out any information about them pre-internet but I guessed they might be like GSDs (wrong!) although healthier. But every time I looked through dog books or magazines and saw a photo I fell in love all over again, though I was more drawn to the shorthaired version as I don't generally do "fluffy" animals.

That was it really - the more I found out about them the more I knew they were right for me, and I didn't even known how good they are for obedience and agility, for years! I know Merlin's just half Belgian but he takes after his BSD father's side more, and all the Belgian traits he has are the ones I like the best. It's been fun getting to know him and decide which of his little quirks are BC versus Belgian - and I just love the character that Belgians have, they have great personalities.

So I would say that my fate was sealed that day in November 1987 when those serene and elegant Tervs were entered in my class - Dog the Judge Would Most Like To Take Home, even though it was 19 years before I got to take one home for real
A lovely story
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
A lovely story
Thank you!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I grew up with a gorgeous and gentle Rough Collie and originally wanted another one. But I also knew I wanted to rescue a dog, and none of this breed ever seemed to come into the rescues I was registered with.

So I then narrowed the choice down to:
Labrador
Golden Retriever
GSD
Rhodesian Ridgeback

The latter two I had to rule out - they are so big and strong and I'm not sufficiently experienced with dogs to cope with one of these if it came with behavioural problems.

That left Labs and Goldens. I met a few Rescue dogs and also one that a family were looking to rehome privately.

None were right for us, but then a local Rescue group told me they had just taken in a young, male yellow Lab - I went to meet him the next day and brought him home that evening

I love most breeds but my favourites have to be Rough Collies and Labs.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I must say DD, because of you I have learnt so much about the Cresties... I had seen them in books etc, but knew nothing about them, but after seeing you and your Mum's fab bunch on here, hey I may even add a CC to Baubee Towers one day in the future, I reckon they could handle the daft setters!!
You really are a credit to your breed hun x
I totally agree, had never even seen a picture of one until I came on here and would automatically assumed that they were a typical little ratty thing , don't judge me I'm a big dog girl , but after seeing the pics and reading about them on here you guys have completely enlightened me, they're such smart, tough little cookies with fab personalities and are more than capable of giving as good as they get!! I still love Fable your spin though!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I've always had a soft spot for the Powderpuffs - a small dog, with hair, which is not a terrier and definitely nothing like other companion and toy breeds. Pity they have such a wussy name though....
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I've always had a soft spot for the Powderpuffs - a small dog, with hair, which is not a terrier and definitely nothing like other companion and toy breeds. Pity they have such a wussy name though....
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5