View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Vito is 16 months and he likes to chew the items you describe, but he is STILL teething so I think that is why. He did stop for a period of 4 or 5 months but then started again and I noticed 4 new teeth where there had been none before.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 05:27 PM
All these furniture/phone/other retailers must amke a fortune from dog owners looking at this thread Animals who'd have 'em?!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Oh this thread is making me laugh! Raw onions? All I wanted was a row of tall flowering plants along the fence. Gave up with the glads and planted grown lupins - my giant tortoise dragged those down and ate them.

My GSD once ate half a turkey by pulling open the oven door and chewing away at it while it was still in the roasting dish - didn't drag it out of the oven.

Lordy some of these stories!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I honestly don't know how people cope with dogs who destroy personal/expensive things for no good reason - I think I'd lose the plot!

Our Lab Woody was a terrible thief when it came to food - joints of meat, a whole bag of raw potatoes, a tube of Pringles etc etc, but at least they could be replaced easily!
I lost the plot a long time ago, so no danger there.

She destroyed her rope lead today...wouldn't mind if it wasn't the third one in about a month. Dogs eh, who'd have um'?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 05:44 PM
OK, OK, I'm here.... no need to panic...

The boys have eaten/chewed/destroyed (from either the kitchen or living room):

Over 14 dog beds, both hard and soft ones
A bluetooth headset and charger, plugged in at the mains
A whole Battenberg cake, out of the breadbin
4 different types of kitchen floor
A beanbag
A pair of walking boots
A trowel and dibber
4 quilts
2 gardening kneeler pads
Well over 100 items of post/paper/magazines
Well over 20 pens/pencils etc
6 or 7 sponges and dishcloths
So many carrier bags I can't count

I've found Murphy stood at the red hot cooker that has just been turned off, licking boiling hot oil from a tray; Max can open the breadbin and microwave, and, I suspect, the fridge also.

Murphy has also been caught licking a brand new pair of topiary shears (blades about 6 inches long). He 'found' these in their vacuum sealed plastic packaging, in a jiffy bag, in a carrier bag, on top of the microwave.

They are 3 and 5. Half the destruction above has happened when we are in the house, in a different room. We may have just fed the boys and sat down to eat ourselves. I'll hear a noise in the kitchen, go and investigate and there will be the destruction.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh, and Max has eaten a packet of contraceptive pills (which had the vet in hysterics) and a pair of soft contact lens, still in their sterile packets....
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Oh, and Max has eaten a packet of contraceptive pills (which had the vet in hysterics)
I bet you had kittens over that one.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh, and Murphy ate a whole tub of butter once....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by minx4 View Post
I bet you had kittens over that one.
God, we got so many jokes from the vets for months afterwards about puppies etc

The vet was more concerned about the plastic packaging than the pills. Luckily, he had popped all the pills out of the bubbles before eating them, and left the packing on the floor
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 08:00 PM
This thread really made me smile But i know it can be very frustrating

Bo is beautiful very sweet indeed

I've got a destructive adult dog, Well she was a destructive adult dog, things have only just recently improved, Poppy my Springer, she practically ate her previous owners house, Window sills, door trim, lino, carpet, and anything she could possible get hold of. she was 2.5 years old when we got her, we are basically are doing what Moon's Mum suggested and there has been real improvement, except for socks, socks still need to be put up out of the way. Also I changed Poppy's diet, and put her on to RAW, which { in my opinion} improved her behaviour

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
My Springer will sneak into our bedroom if the door is left open and steal my socks from the laundry basket. He will then take them away to a quiet corner and nibble several large holes in them. He is much better though since I started feeding him raw. Chewing up 3 chicken carcasses in one sitting seems to have taken the pressure off the socks.

Oh Maxine just the same as my springer, do you think socks are a springer thing?

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Have you tried leaving things down that she can destroy? I know ideally you'd like her to not be destructive but she may just need to satisfy the urge to rip. Cain was pretty bad but we've control it by

a) keeping as much out of reach as possible, as you are already doing
b) when catching him with something inappropriate, swapping it for something better. I can now see him when he's in "that mood" and I actively give him his Nylabone (ot swap if he already has something) and he'll sit and chew on that for a good half an hour.
c) giving him regular chewy treats like pizzle and giant strips of paddywack. Being on raw and feeding bones helps, after he's spent 40 mins chewing and ripping up half a rabbit, he doesn't want to chew anything else.
d) making up boxes for shredding - fill a large cardboard box with toilet tubes, scrunched up newspaper, small boxes, hide some small treats and let the dog go nuts. It really helps Cain get his destructive streak out without him harming expensive items.

It's a tough one and I can see why your frustrated. Maybe letting her be allowed to destroy something with permisson might help?

Great advise!!! this is basically what we have been doing with Poppy and it these things really helped
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >