View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
We've almost been in this position a few times. Both when I was heavily pregnant and also when recovering from a caesarean, Loki jumped into deep water and couldn't get back out, so I had to haul him out by the scruff of his neck/collar. Luckily I didn't have to go in though.

Another time, my husband was swimming in a lake with flippers on, so going quite fast. Loki got worried and tried to swim after him only to get caught up in reeds, so my husband had to swim back to pull him out and swim him back to dry land.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm one of these people who acts first and thinks second, I'm sure it will get me into trouble one day!

Max avoids water in general but, if he did go in and get into trouble, I couldn't just stand there and watch him. drown I'm a strong swimmer but fully realise that in very cold water, or water where there are things that could tangle your legs, I could get in real trouble.

The only time I've had a water related incident was with my mum's lab. We were walking along the canal path with him. He walked there every day, never went in the water there (although is a good swimmer) so was off lead. For some bizzare reason, where the towpath bent round, he didn't bend with it and went straight over the edge. The towpath was too high up for him to reach and there was no way he could have got himself out. I had to lie on the bank, reach down and grab his collar and haul him out. If I hadn't managed to get him out that way I would have gone in because I know that my mum wouldn't have hesitated for a moment and I am a stronger swimmer than she is!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes and no.

In summer when it is warm, then yes depending on the situation. But majority of the year no, as Trouble I believe who said people underestimate the coldess of water. You can die within a few minutes whe your body goes into shock. Weight of clothes slows you up too. I would however try everything I could from the bank to help the dog.

I have done part of my life gaurding course (amongst other swimming awards over the years), and although a confident swimmer, I would have to say head over heart.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
If the dogs where struggling then no doubt about it I would be in there... If they looked to be doing ok then I would stand at the side, encouraging them to come to me.

This time last year there was abit in the paper about an older mans dog in the next villiage falling through an iced over pond, the man in his 70's went in after the dog (who got its self out) and the man drowed
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I couldnt go in.Vegas means the world to me,but im absolutely terrified of water.I just couldnt.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 05:07 PM
No definitely not = as much as I love my dogs I can't swim and we would either all end up dead or endanger someone else who felt obliged to jump in and rescue us. I'm with the other posters on this (the ones who can't swim). I would never put my dogs into a position where they could fall in a river or canal knowing that if the worse happened I wouldn't be able to help them.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5