Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mad Huskies View Post
Yes people do, and I take my responsibility to my dog to keep her well excersised and happy very seriously!
Darn it, I hate having to come back to respond when I'm trying to leave a topic alone, but just have to query, would you say I'm an irresponsible owner to keep my bitch in when she's in season? Because I would find that quite bizarre

Actually, regarding the scent of in season bitches, it can carry for a lot further than 1.5 miles, more like 10. But the way a scent cone works, the further you walk around, and depending on wind direction, the more opportunity for that scent to cover a much larger area, not to mention the trail of scent other dogs can actually come across.

I do know of others with huskies and arctic breeds that don't walk them when in season out where other dogs are more likely to come across their scent. I also know of a fair few GSD owners that keep their in season bitches in without any problems.

Completely agree with the comment that if you live in a flat or somewhere without your own garden, you need to get your bitch spayed to avoid the problem, simple??

I did this as a bit of fun for the other forum this was being discussed, to try and lighten the thread which did become a bit 'heated' - it actually went down like a lead balloon but never mind, it shows what I mean about scent cones etc. Do remember, as a professional artist, this is a very accurate rendering of the scenario

bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Are you intending to breed your guys?

What sort of training have you done with him to get him learning to ignore bitches in season? (Or are you intending to neuter?)
i havent done any training with him to ignore inseason bitches, he was intrested in my girl for about 2 or 3 days then ignores her now, my neutered male is ALOT worse around her , we arent intending to breed our two but we are thinking about studding him out, and i have done all the research needed for this i know about hip scores eye testing ect i know that he has gotta be a good quality show dog or working dog and i am currently in training with him to be a working dog he is also breed standard with no faults (from what i can gather by all the reading and research ive done) to prove this we will get him checked over by a show judge or another breeder .
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I did this as a bit of fun for the other forum this was being discussed, to try and lighten the thread which did become a bit 'heated' - it actually went down like a lead balloon but never mind, it shows what I mean about scent cones etc. Do remember, as a professional artist, this is a very accurate rendering of the scenario

ha ha ha loving the pic, thought i'd update you all on the season situation im having, 10 days in to the season still walking Rolo at 11p.m at the field at the back of my house...to date not come across one dog.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Darn it, I hate having to come back to respond when I'm trying to leave a topic alone, but just have to query, would you say I'm an irresponsible owner to keep my bitch in when she's in season? Because I would find that quite bizarre

Actually, regarding the scent of in season bitches, it can carry for a lot further than 1.5 miles, more like 10. But the way a scent cone works, the further you walk around, and depending on wind direction, the more opportunity for that scent to cover a much larger area, not to mention the trail of scent other dogs can actually come across.

I do know of others with huskies and arctic breeds that don't walk them when in season out where other dogs are more likely to come across their scent. I also know of a fair few GSD owners that keep their in season bitches in without any problems.

Completely agree with the comment that if you live in a flat or somewhere without your own garden, you need to get your bitch spayed to avoid the problem, simple??

Nice drawing!

It was me that said about the 1.5 miles....I could not recall (was a long time ago I looked into it).

I do wonder why there are such differing opinions on the subject. For me it seems very clear cut - looking from both sides (having both male and female entires).

I wonder if peoples personal experience with dogs counts for their views on this subject.....
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:55 PM
i dont belive mad huskies is saying you are irresponsible as its your choice to not walk ur in season bitch, what she is saying is she has a responisbility to HER dogs to walk them , they are high energy breeds and without physical stimulation (aswell as mental) they get bored and then they get destructive
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by bingblazenskyla View Post
i havent done any training with him to ignore inseason bitches, he was intrested in my girl for about 2 or 3 days then ignores her now, my neutered male is ALOT worse around her , we arent intending to breed our two but we are thinking about studding him out, and i have done all the research needed for this i know about hip scores eye testing ect i know that he has gotta be a good quality show dog or working dog and i am currently in training with him to be a working dog he is also breed standard with no faults (from what i can gather by all the reading and research ive done) to prove this we will get him checked over by a show judge or another breeder .
- that will possibly change your opinion of walking entire bitches Once he knows what its about

Good luck with everything.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

hahahaha love it, its brill
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Brilliant pic.. Having male dogs, I know what a pain it can be when some one has been (in my eyes) irresponsible to walk a in season female in a public/well known dog walking area. But on the other hand I do understand that some people cant keep their dogs in when in season for what ever reason, and if they walk their dog somewhere not known for other dog walkers then I personally wouldnt have a problem. Or like suggested before driving them somewhere quiet for a quick run.

I had a bitch who had been out of season for 10 days, who decided it would be highly funny to come back into season the second I got her out her cage at a SHOW and bleed all over my suit! within seconds male dogs where playing up for their owners with out even being near her, clearly (and rightly so) owners where getting pretty darn annoyed. not something I could help, but also not a situation I would have put my self in knowing she was coming back into season. its not fair at all.. its very stressful for male dogs, after all going after girls in season is instinct.
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- that will possibly change your opinion of walking entire bitches Once he knows what its about

Good luck with everything.
lol i guess we will see and thanks for the good luck

im not saying this on purpose but i have to go and walk them all now - look 4ward to coming back after said walk and possibly replying to some OTHER threads will be nice to get to know you all better
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by bingblazenskyla View Post
lol i guess we will see and thanks for the good luck

im not saying this on purpose but i have to go and walk them all now - look 4ward to coming back after said walk and possibly replying to some OTHER threads will be nice to get to know you all better

Some threads draw you in.

I am off training in a min - but enjoy your walk.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »