Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Adam says he uses very cruel methods, Saffy. He boasts of having used electric shocks on abused dogs.
I hope he`s a troll.
However, he`s also very good at hijacking threads so maybe we could resist his attempts to take us OT?
I wouldn't have someone come train my dog after what he just said, regardless to how good he think he is. I'd rather just keep Sasha on the lead.

She's a happy dog and is spoilt rotten, my ex hubby dotes on her. Her life on a lead has no impact on her happiness!

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I use e collars for many things. The sheep is pure avoidance, but used right you can build the recall so the dog comes back regardless (this would be hugely useful for Cain) and you can use them to build confidence in a certain situation as well, basically you associate the scary thing with stopping the sensation from the e collar when they approach it.This is the same princple as counter conditioning with treats but utilises the survival mode (which dogs already in) as opposed to food drive which tends to disappear under stress.
A video of similar work to what I do.
http://www.connectwithyourk9.com/vid...gression1.html

Adam
Take the e.collar away from the trainer, and what do you have!????

Please ignore Adam and his advice, he is a very young boy who has to rely on negative and barbaric tools to be able to train a dog.

Personally getting back to your question, no its not cruel and yes a dog can have a fulfilled life on a lead.

Obviously , if you can allow a do goff lead, then great, but life is never that simple, and we have to adapt to what we can and cant do.

And to be honest, many a dog who has to stay on a lead, will have a far more enriching life to some that are allowed off lead.

Many an owner who is in this situation, will put the extra mile in to make sure their dogs have all the exercise and stimulation they need .

I also have a very active breed one of which spends most of her life on a lead, she is as fulfilled as her brother, she gets probably more exercise (and stimulation) on her walks than many an off lead dog.

You do what you have to do, if you can work towards allowing off lead with safety to all, then its worth a try, but if not, just adapt to what you have and can do.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I think an interesting thread. I used to think dogs couldn't be happy on-lead, but since reading similar threads on here my opinions have changed.
I now have a dog where I can't let him off-lead. He's not long been off the racing tracks and only been with us a month, he's just about 100% with him name in the house now, but no way would I trust that outside right now!
We're planning to take him to tennis courts or a secure field soon so he can have a run, but in this weather he suffers. By the time I walk him there, he'd be shattered as he has no stamina yet.

Try google maps to see anywhere you may have missed locally where you could take him, I found loads of little green spaces that way
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
My English Setters are not always allowed off lead, their recall is pants and yes I have tried and still do!! Its a breed thing! I have long leads, long lines, don't use flexi's as had a few incidents!!
The thing is one size doesn't fit all with dogs, I have learnt that... I also would never use cruel methods to get your dog to train and recall, you lose the dog's trust.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Well we just had an excellent walk this morning. I got up at 6am, left home by 6.30. It was still cool so we walked up to the one park where I can sometimes let him off. It's great walk when you can do the whole thing as it gives lots of variety. Cain had to heel on the short lead by the road for about 20 mins, then he gets about 20 mins walking on the flexilead over grass. then he gets hopefully off the park then the same on the way home. We still saw several dogs at that time of the morning. Got to the park and.....someone was in there

He obviously has the same problem as us as he clipped his dogs back on lead as soon as he saw us and as we walked by his terriers went beserk. I decided to wait him out though and after about 15 mins they left and we had the park to ourselves

Cain went off lead for a run. He retreived a tennis ball and actually bought it back, which is amazing as he normally gets bored and drops it half way. He chased a tennis ball three times and his squeaky balk three times before he lost interest and kay on the grass panting. See he only needs ten mins off lead with a really good run during a walk to make him happy, he is then happy to be on lead. It's just getting somewhere for even those ten mins.

We had a little rest then I did some training like sit-stays, recall, attention and some heelework and he did well until he lost interest as he was tired and hot. I got the lead our and he trotted over happily and sat so I could put it on, obviously happy to go home lol!

The river was deep on the way home so I let him go in and have a really good swim as it was deep enough that he could lose the bottom. He loved that. Now he's laying on my floor snoring and stinking of river water

if we could have a walk like this just twice a week I'd be happier. Will try again next Sunday. Off to research tennis courts and kennel yards today.
Is this the walled park opposite the Pets at Home in Brentford? If it isn't then that might not be too far for you, if not walkable certainly only a short bus ride. Let me know if you need more details.

Well done you for persevering. Pepper was almost permanently on a long line until she was 3 and intermittently thereafter so I know what it's like! and how the bad days feel I would really wish that she would understand that if I could only trust her she would be able to have a lot more freedom. She still gets silly occasionally.

In the meantime save up for driving lessons so you can give yourselves a few more options!

J.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Good point J...I can't wait til I can drive, then I can chuck Ax in the car and go whereever we fancy! For now, I'm planning to taking him on a bus soon, see if we can explore further afield together...can't wait
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I assume Adam that as I said in a previous post my collie rescue never walked of a lead you are referring to me also when you say you wouldn't re home to someone who wouldn't off lead them. I think that's very narrow minded as I'm sure most people who keep dogs on lead don't do it for the sake of it. I took my rescue on from a private home as he was due to be pts. He had never met another dog apart from his litter brother and they fought constantly. The day I picked him up he had 15 stitches in his legs. As you can imagine he was fear aggressive, I took him to one training class where they suggested I hit him with a stick when he lunged at other dogs, nice method. Eventually I found a class and it took two people with a lead each just to get him in the arena and sit while the class took place.
He lived for 15 years, had lovely walks on lead every day and competed in agility until he was 12. How can you honestly think he would have been better dead than being rehomed and kept on a lead. Also he damaged when he attacked so surely I had a responsibility to other dog walkers to stop him hurting their pets.

Sorry everyone I'm just having a rant as Adam obviously thinks keeping dogs in rescue centres or killing them is better than keeping them on leads
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Is this the walled park opposite the Pets at Home in Brentford? If it isn't then that might not be too far for you, if not walkable certainly only a short bus ride. Let me know if you need more details.

Well done you for persevering. Pepper was almost permanently on a long line until she was 3 and intermittently thereafter so I know what it's like! and how the bad days feel I would really wish that she would understand that if I could only trust her she would be able to have a lot more freedom. She still gets silly occasionally.

In the meantime save up for driving lessons so you can give yourselves a few more options!

J.

Yes! The Orchard, at the end of Syon Park just near Pets at Home, that's exactly the park we're using. When we can get it empty, it's absolutely perfect for our needs it's a pity the football bit is only partially fenced in otherwise I could have let him off in there even if other dogs were about.

Tell me about it with the car. I hate driving but I should finish my lessons. I'm fine getting around on public transport but Cain is a bit too big. I definately need a car for him. The main thing that worries me is if we have a vet emergency in the middle of the night it would cause problems getting him to the vet But god do I hate driving!!!! Lol
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
it's a pity the football bit is only partially fenced in otherwise I could have let him off in there even if other dogs were about.
Could you put him on a long line tied to the goalpost? That way you could play with him without worrying that he might run to another dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
I took my rescue on from a private home as he was due to be pts. He had never met another dog apart from his litter brother and they fought constantly. The day I picked him up he had 15 stitches in his legs.
He lived for 15 years, had lovely walks on lead every day and competed in agility until he was 12.
Just wanted to say well done for working so hard with this boy with this poor boy and giving him a lovely life.
x
Page 5 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »