View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I'ver used prong collars (pinch collars) introduced properly the dog learns to keep the lead loose and walk with you very quickly and this means it has minimum pressure exerted on its neck through the training. So I suppose it could be discribed as the kindest collar.

They look awful (which puts people off) But I've found they work great and dogs much prefer wearing them to headcollars ect.

They will only cause injury if fitted incorrectly, much like any collar.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I'ver used prong collars (pinch collars) introduced properly the dog learns to keep the lead loose and walk with you very quickly and this means it has minimum pressure exerted on its neck through the training. So I suppose it could be discribed as the kindest collar.

They look awful (which puts people off) But I've found they work great and dogs much prefer wearing them to headcollars ect.

They will only cause injury if fitted incorrectly, much like any collar.

Adam
They only walk that way to avoid PAIN. So no, that's not kind.

And it doesn't teach them a thing. As soon as the collar is off they pull again.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
They only walk that way to avoid PAIN. So no, that's not kind.

And it doesn't teach them a thing. As soon as the collar is off they pull again.
Kind? Adam has boasted of using electric shock collars on abused dogs. I don`t think `kind` is really his style.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well done. Drivel, but a reasonable start.
F minus.
Thankyou for this brilliant post

Back on topic; i have ezydog collars for my three they are fantastic; made of neoprene (like a wetsuit) so if they get wet, they dry very quickly and don't smell, and are also very soft.I believe they now do an extra wide one which might be better for your lovely boy.Will try to find a linky for you

http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk/index.php?...9kngenbvsmtgo5

Love Jann
xxx
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree the effect might not last much after the collar comes off (same as any gear really) but they don't cause pain. They cause discomfort whent he dog pulls (same as headcollar/harness ect) but because of the way they feel to the dog the dog instinctively backs off them which means they work far quicker (thus less discomfort) than other tools.

Kind is my style. But I don't confuse kind to the dog with make the owner feel kind.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree the effect might not last much after the collar comes off (same as any gear really) but they don't cause pain. They cause discomfort whent he dog pulls (same as headcollar/harness ect) but because of the way they feel to the dog the dog instinctively backs off them which means they work far quicker (thus less discomfort) than other tools.

Kind is my style. But I don't confuse kind to the dog with make the owner feel kind.

Adam
Apparently you think shock collars are kind?

Call it what you want to, but I don't teach through discomfort. People used to smack kid's hands with rulers, but then we got a bit more enlightened and realized that was detrimental. Apparently some of us didn't enter the 21st century.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I think a prong might work

honestly

I can see how it would be good

Seeing as it tends to be men using them

Carefully attatch one to your privates, then clip the lead on to the prong on you and the dogs collar

Then you will make sure you keep focus on the dog and distractions.

If you teach with fair KIND methods then the results can be fantastic
I dont pull my dogs about, infact I have their leads attached to a belt so I walk handsfree
Last week B, Mias fave person in the world came out of a doorway
Mia seen him. I unclipped her lead and told him to call her
but I forgot to release her
She wiggled her bum all the way to him - but kept at my side

can you do that with a prong?
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Adam
Maybe you don't realise, or maybe you are just a little slow, but this is a collar for a rescue dog that has been severely abused Whatever training method you think is right, your comments about the pro use of prong collars has no place on this thread.
I feel so sad for your dogs that you are such a crap trainer, you feel the need to resort to using such horrific methods to get them to do what you want

Jann

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone put a prong collar around your neck and given it a tug??
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think a prong might work

honestly

I can see how it would be good

Seeing as it tends to be men using them

Carefully attatch one to your privates, then clip the lead on to the prong on you and the dogs collar
Hahaha!!! Because after all, a prong collar is the most delicate collar!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I must admit I miss most of Adam`s pearls of, er, something because I have him on Ignore. I wish to god he`d do the same for my threads!
I do this because I am convinced (and I am open to correction if the evidence many of us have asked for is forthcoming) that `Adam` is a wannabe, not a trainer. This is purely because his comments exhibit a lack of knowledge of practical dog management. In fact some of his `solutions` are quite funny but, as here, some are just vicious.
I believe he is a form of troll - and I base this on what he has said, and not said.
If I am wrong, I am prepared to apologise. Not for my low opinion, because his suggested methods are abusive, but for getting the label wrong.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »