Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Re taking food away from dogs- I was horrified to hear from a work colleague who takes things away from his dog to "show him who is boss". He gives him lamb bones then takes them away! He said the dog growls at him-I said I am not surprised as he thinks you are a bully as dogs do not take things away from each other if it is something they have in their mouth or between their paws.

He thinks he is "pack leader" but my dogs have never growled at me! If they have something they shouldn't have I would go up to them with some cheese/ham and ask them to drop it and give them the treat in return. Aside from the fact that it is dangerous to give dogs cooked lamb bones anyway.

I told him his dog was actually being polite growling at him and if he continued to tell it off for growling it would probably just bite instead!
It is undoubtedly one of the worst things that an owner can do. And often it is with the best of intent. They are actually trying to avoid the very problem that they create!

I can see where the logic came from, but it is scewed and dangerous. In my view.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 06:42 PM
How about shutting a puppy in a cage it can just turn round in without bedding or water for 4 hours at a time? Or chaining it to a desk? This is being advocated on this very forum.
wirenth
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'll start with one of my pet-hates... electric shock collars!!

I think they are complete unnecessary for 99.9% of dog owners. The only time I think there may be a case to use them is if the dog's life is endangered - eg to train them not to go anywhere near snakes in the hotter climates etc

For almost all other times, I think their use is barbaric, and cruel There are plenty of more positive training methods that can be used for almost all situations
i couldn't agree more with this statement and thought that this quote from another forum about sums the electric shock collar up

To use shock as an effective dog training method you will need:

A thorough understanding of canine behavior.

A thorough understanding of learning theory.

Impeccable timing.

And if you have those three things, you don't need a shock collar. --Author unknown

I thought that this was a fantastic quote and that if more people thought about it before buying an electric shock collar there wouldn't be as many being used.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2010, 12:12 PM
A few more outdated methods I have seen mentioned and used by those who are obsessed with dominance and forcing a dog to submit. I would think they are guaranteed to make a puppy fearful of being handled by you or anyone else , not quite the result you are looking for when trust plays such an important part in training.

..Lifting a puppy up in the air by placing you hands around its middle (leaving his legs and body unsupported) and repeat this until it ceases to struggle,
..Laying a puppy on its side and forcing it to stay there until it no longer struggles,
..Laying a puppy on its back between your legs and forcing it stay there until it ceases to struggle

I find this obsession with forcing an animal to submit rather scarey ...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh yup it is just cruel to teach puppies to just give up

All these training methods just stop dogs being dogs, people dont want dogs they want robots that dont ever have the right to want anything for themselves, to plod along behind you on a walk never sniffing or going to look at something, to be silent and still in the house until owner decided they are alowed to play. To never ask for cuddles, to never use their brain
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I maybe setting mysel up for a drubbing here, but I do not like to see halties or bridle type devices on a dog to stop them pulling. I know this is not an outdated form of correction as they are currently very popular, but I could not resort to this method of control for a dog and I have had big dogs who love to pull. To me it seems to take all the spirit out of a dog, and I believe there are better and longer lasting ways of teaching a dog to walk with you. I always wonder what happens when the haltie comes off and the dog realises it is free do do as it pleases - does it start to pull or what. Sorry, but this is how I feel.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 01:13 PM
As a new puppy owner this is a fab thread!

The most common one I hear is rubbing nose in poop, so that will be my pet peev!

The internet is great and without it I would never have found this fantastic forum, however the internet is also full of rubbish advice. As a new owner it's hard to know what's good and what's bad.

It's great to be able to come to the forum and chat with people that genuinely care about dogs and want to give sound advice - thank you
winterwood
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I maybe setting mysel up for a drubbing here, but I do not like to see halties or bridle type devices on a dog to stop them pulling. I know this is not an outdated form of correction as they are currently very popular, but I could not resort to this method of control for a dog and I have had big dogs who love to pull. To me it seems to take all the spirit out of a dog, and I believe there are better and longer lasting ways of teaching a dog to walk with you. I always wonder what happens when the haltie comes off and the dog realises it is free do do as it pleases - does it start to pull or what. Sorry, but this is how I feel.
Good point. These things are used by many people to stop a dog pulling. But the owners rarely work on 'training' the dog not to pull
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Regarding Use of Haltis or headcollars, I have never really fancied them and used to get a little annoyed at a colleague for continually recommending its use to another new dog owning friend (almost to point of ramming it down everyones throat which made me even more against them!).
I gave lots of advice about stoppping when the dog pulled and changing direction etc. (This method worked brilliantly with my old girl Poppy) but did take a some perseverance.

That said, 10 years on, a new rescue which is heavier and pulled like a steam train from the moment we walked him at the centre - and I have succumbed to "occasional" use of a Halti!

From day one with Jasper we have worked on his heel work, stopping and /or turning at every pull and it has been a huge battle of wills - but he is getting it, 41/2 weeks on and he is really starting to get it!

I have used a Halti with him from time to time, usually when I really need to get somewhere quick and just dont have the time to continually stop/turn. Or when we have been in a pedestrian heavy place (mainly walking to meet the OH at the train station) and found it invaluable on snow/ice!!!
It has an instant effect on him and walking is so, so much easier! I try to only put it on for short periods when I do use it, when he is walking well I will slip it off and continue with the old trusted method, and he seems to adjust very well, no manic pulling once "free".

I have reconsidered them as a great training aid, and its my intention to only use it for a short while and not rely on it forever.
I totally agree that it is sad when people continually use or rely on them instead of trying to teach the pooch what to do instead.

It certainly seems to have helped Jas get the message that walking at our sides is a good thing!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by winterwood View Post
Good point. These things are used by many people to stop a dog pulling. But the owners rarely work on 'training' the dog not to pull
yes,it does worry me sometimes the use of 'halti's' so many times you see the dog still pulling,but with the neck at a strange angle..also i worry of lead jerking.
i do use a headcollar on Tupac (gencon all in one) but he walks perfectly to heel,but.....im only little and he is quite heavy(and young)...and squizzels can be sooo irresistible sometimes
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >