View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Mine only wears a collar when he goes out, once he's been out for his last wee there is no reason for him to have to wear it.......He can't get out, plus he spends the evening in our bedroom with us, so I want him to feel comfy x
dogbuddy
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Mine also wears a collar all the time unless he is wet. It's some sort of a fashion statement as well
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Teagan wears a collar at all times.
She wears a softer/smaller/thinner one when in the house though.
It's got an ID tag on, and I also hold on to it when someone comes to the door!
Devilica
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 08:56 AM
None of my older dogs ever wears a collar. Leo ends up with terrible mats in his fur and refuses to walk when wearing one.
Fern has allergies and it irritates.
Tilly Has syringomyelia and cannot wear anything around her neck at all now.

All three wear a harness complete with their ID tag when we go for walks.

My puppy Maya is currently using one for training but after that she will only wear it when we are out of the house.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I am more concerned about my dogs wearing a collar when they go out. In the house, they dont play and there is nothing for them to get caught up on. Outside however they are constantly in the undergrowth and I do worry about that aspect. Jessie especially will work gorse, brambles, bracken etc to flush rabbit or indicate holes and she often reappears with twigs etc tucked under her collar.

I did try a type of collar that came loose if snagged but they just ended up getting lost regularly, complete with tags each time. I guess thats why working gundogs etc are exempt from the law (only during working or training however).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 02:39 PM
daphni only ever wears a collar when we are out. she has no need for it in the house, she comes when called and i have no reason to hold her back from something (like the front door) also she has long hair and her hair gets all tangled in it and it breaks the hair, she wouldnt look too good in the show ring with a ring of hair missing where the collar has been.

i do sometimes worry about her getting out but shes gone out the front door before, and come back as soon as ive shouted, she isnt one to stray too far away from me so im quite lucky really.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by budskipup View Post
my dog has an easy release cord collar with a tag with our details on it at all times ,
That sounds interesting, do you have a link?

My 3 virtually never wear collars.

I did get them those breakaway ones when we had the builders in and I was worried a door might get left open. But then I have to take them off every night because they jingle so to be honest now I don't bother.

They all have their tags on their harnesses which I feel is complying with the spirit of the law, if not the letter, so I can't imagine a situation where I could get in trouble for it!

J.
budskipup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:03 PM
sorry, no I got it off ebay, when it came it looked like a loop of washing line cord with two slip knots , but it works ok she has caught her paw in it and it pulled to double the length and she easerly got her paw out .when she needs a new one I'll make one out of cord
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:15 PM
All the time
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Missy always has her collar on - I never really thought about it as my parents' dogs always had their collars on.
I suppose that it saves me trying to find it when we want to go out (it would be bound to travel around the house even if not attached to the dog), and as she doesn't appear to notice it I don't think it bothers her, it doesn't appear to affect her fur, and it has a quick release catch which can also be locked when on a lead.
Interesting thread to read.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >