View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I think dogs are just happy to get out and have a stroll whether it's 15 mins or an hour or longer. In an evening hubby takes my 2 out Mon-Wed, it's about 20 mins some off and some on lead on the busy canal (though not as busy now it's dark), they come home watch me make our tea and then have their tea and then it's bed time for the lazy sods, they are zonked from 6:45pm ish until wee wee time before bed and then back to bed
At weekends ours only get 2 walks a day and even if their second walk is at 2pm they are still in bed at the same time.
If he's happy and content that's all that matters hun (sorry for rambling)
Tracy xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Your opinion , NOT mine matey.

People and animals adjust to their lifestyles. If you are free and can romp all over the Savanna, then bully for you, but if you are a zoo animal, battery hen or a pet then that life is all you know and what you never had you never miss.

That is life chum. And millions of our pets have it and love it.
As I have said before, only the idiot brained consider the ideal in life, the more educated and intelligent acknowledge the practical constraints.

Alice in Wonderland ? Be my guest and keep reading the comics or looking at old Walt Disney films, but it will not make any difference to the loving but restricted life that millions of our pets simply have to live.

Don`t focus on what is ideal, that is incredibly stupid, focus on what is lovingly given and practical for the vast majorty of pet owners.

I am fed up with hearing the nonsensical prattlings of idealists. I live in the real world and have to make concessions like millions more. I myself and my family do not have an ideal life, so what on Earth is the brainless stupidiy of considering it for animals ? We give what we can.

John Bull

I dont think its an ideal or unrealisitic expectation for a dog to go for a walk. This is one of the fundamentals of dog ownership and a vital part of a dogs life. If you dont want to take your dog out then why get a dog in the first place? Get a rat, ferrett or one of the huge range of small animals that do not need to go out.

A life lived in a garden and house is a life poor lived IMO the belight on my dogs face when i reach for the leads lets me know how much they enjoy there walks.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
. If you dont want to take your dog out then why get a dog in the first place? Get a rat, ferrett or one of the huge range of small animals that do not need to go out.

A life lived in a garden and house is a life poor lived IMO the belight on my dogs face when i reach for the leads lets me know how much they enjoy there walks.
Quite an irresponsible remark to make. Where do you live, OVER THE RAINBOW ? If you had digested my comments properly, you need not have made such a statement.

Nobody is interested in Rats or little furry things, I suppose you just may have noticed that this is a DOG Forum and I was quite specific in wording my thread accordingly.

John Bull
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Quite an irresponsible remark to make. Where do you live, OVER THE RAINBOW ? If you had digested my comments properly, you need not have made such a statement.

Nobody is interested in Rats or little furry things, I suppose you just may have noticed that this is a DOG Forum and I was quite specific in wording my thread accordingly.

I am well aware of what forum this is and have been a member for a lot longer then you!

John Bull
Actually i think you will find its IRRESPONSIBLE to take on a pet and not be willing to provide the basic care that pet needs. I live in Telford in an end terrace with 3 (rather large) dogs, i work full time but i still take my dogs out at least once a day for a walk come rain or shine.

If you have a kid it goes to school, if you have a job you go everyday on time, these are the responsibilities of life. If you choose to add to them by getting a dog then this is something you have to deal with.
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2009, 04:56 PM

John Bull
John, I don't think it is the content of your posts which is going down badly.... simply the attitude attached with them.

Dogs need physical and mental stimulation, certain breeds more than others. I know people can only do their best and the dog may appear happy being a 'house and garden' dog...... but maybe it would be happier getting out for regular walks?

We don't know because unfortunately we can't ask the dog how it is feeling. All I know is my dog loves her walks and would not be happy without a decent run around each day.

At the end of the day it is selfish to get a dog and not put the effort in to make sure its needs are met.

Why the hell would anyone get a rottie/gsd/collie etc etc, if they weren't willing to get out and exercise & stimulate the dog? There are plenty of lardy lapdog breeds out there that don't want or need as much hard work (BBD for example).

You wouldn't lock a 6yr old child in the house 23hrs a day and then say it was *happy* just because it wasn't able to complain..... why is it ok to do the same with a dog?

I live right in the middle of a city, 0 green spaces, but I still made sure I had somewhere to walk my dog before getting her.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I haven't read this thread as I don't have all day! What I will say though is that I feel that there are problems with walking your dog in the same place each day. Dogs will often start to think of a park or field as 'theirs' and could start to guard it from other dogs. Also if you have an intellegent hound they can become rather bored with the same old same old. Rio will often protest if we visit the same park a few days in a row, and sometimes will sit down and refuse to play! Dandy seems happy anywhere that he can go off lead. I vary our walks a lot, especially in the summer when the nights are lighter.

I would say quality counts, as my dogs get much more satisfaction and enjoyment from a walk on the beach than they do on our local park. Quantity is also important and I believe ALL dogs should get out at least once a day.

Dogs that aren't walked don't have the same quality of life IMHO.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
John, I don't think it is the content of your posts which is going down badly.... simply the attitude attached with them.

Dogs need physical and mental stimulation, certain breeds more than others. I know people can only do their best and the dog may appear happy being a 'house and garden' dog...... but maybe it would be happier getting out for regular walks?

We don't know because unfortunately we can't ask the dog how it is feeling. All I know is my dog loves her walks and would not be happy without a decent run around each day.

At the end of the day it is selfish to get a dog and not put the effort in to make sure its needs are met.

Why the hell would anyone get a rottie/gsd/collie etc etc, if they weren't willing to get out and exercise & stimulate the dog? There are plenty of lardy lapdog breeds out there that don't want or need as much hard work (BBD for example).

You wouldn't lock a 6yr old child in the house 23hrs a day and then say it was *happy* just because it wasn't able to complain..... why is it ok to do the same with a dog?

I live right in the middle of a city, 0 green spaces, but I still made sure I had somewhere to walk my dog before getting her.
this doesnt always mean walks.. mine get both in the garden, play ball, go fetch, hunt things out etc
ATD x
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
this doesnt always mean walks.. mine get both in the garden, play ball, go fetch, hunt things out etc
ATD x
which is great if you can't get out, or as an addition to your walks, but it's no substitute for walkies!!!
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Razcox - If you have not got the ability to understand my phraseology and general gist of this thread, please don`t convert it to one of a personal nature..

Use the PM, there`s a good girl and I will be only too pleased to engage you in any topic you wish to choose.

John Bull
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 05:14 PM

John Bull
Are you kidding me? I take it you can't be bothered to ever walk your dog(s) and are feeling slightly gulity about it? no one is living 'over the rainbow' and 'in an ideal world' because they walk their dog every day. It is NOT unrealistic for a dog to be walked every day. If you are going to submit a dog to a lifetime behind four walls, what on earth is the point in owning a dog? anyone with that attitude might as well purchase a stuffed dog, or better still...a cat!
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »