View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Wonder if they'll get a hip holster for it too, carrying a bag and sorting mail at the same time I'd love to see how fast they could reach and shoot from the hip...most men don't multi task lol...so just maybe the dogs will be safe after all.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Emax View Post
My dog grew up loving the postie used to hear her down the street and wait for her to come (crying like a baby) and then she would give him cuddles and treats. Because of her and her helping me train him he was good with her and all others coming up the alley and in the garden. Then she got moved (because a postie who had been working with the post office for more years wanted her round) and within 2 weeks Max was a nightmare.

The new post man walked in and shoved his bag at Max (who was waiting for his treat), Max thought this was a new game and jumped up, new post man shouted very aggresively at me (to which Max took offence and became protective). After a few more run ins i.e the post man refusing to come in a shouting abbuse at me from the gate to come and fetch mine and my neighbours mail. Max became convinced he needed to protect me and became aggressive to everyone coming in the alley so I had to put a gate at the end and a mailbox up.

The first postie still runs over when she sees Max in the street and after she convinces him she isn't the horrible one he loves her again. So I know the problem is not my dog. But now because of one persons actions all the training put in by me and the previous postie getting Max used to people coming and going has been for nothing!!

If you gave my postman that spray he would use it for the hell of it. Even his own workmates have complained about him and his treatment of animals on his round!! So yes if I had known waht would happen I would have choosen to pick my mail up when my first postie was moved!!
You have been unlucky with the second postie, but you also have a guarding breed so these traits are not unexpected...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but the thing im worried about is that some posties wont just use if for those situations, there are some complete idiots out there and some people would think nothing of spraying a dog with peppermint spray, whether it is needed or not.

i find it very easy to tell who are the dog people and those who arent when walking jake. the way people look or react to him walking down the street, some people look at him like he is some disgusting disease (my boy certainly isnt, he is gorgeous ) so you will get some posties who are like that with the dogs, and they could, purely through the dislike of dogs, spray the dog even if no threat is presented
I would think the purpose of the spray , will be for the use on dogs on private property , I think if you where walking down the road with a dog on the lead, and the postie sprayed your dog for no reason, you would have a case for complaint.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but the thing im worried about is that some posties wont just use if for those situations, there are some complete idiots out there and some people would think nothing of spraying a dog with peppermint spray, whether it is needed or not.

i find it very easy to tell who are the dog people and those who arent when walking jake. the way people look or react to him walking down the street, some people look at him like he is some disgusting disease (my boy certainly isnt, he is gorgeous ) so you will get some posties who are like that with the dogs, and they could, purely through the dislike of dogs, spray the dog even if no threat is presented
I don't know where these evil postmen/women have been hiding then. There have been loads come and go in my area over the years and all have been very friendly and welcoming to my dogs.

Most postmen/women are not going to be spraying dogs willy-nilly. They only time they are going to be using them is if they are under real threat.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Hi,

In law a postie has a general licence (in a nutshell) to enter land in order to be able to deliver the post adequately. So I agree that some may have to protect themselves but those of us that are decent dog owners would keep our dogs away anyway.
But there's nothing about hurting a dog or praying it without good reason. The only recourse for adog owner would be to go down the route of criminal damage if their dog was hurt and that can be more trouble than it's worth depending on which Police force you have to deal with.

I ordered some business cards not so long ago and even with signs p saying the dogs run free (not out the fron tthough) the postie still saw fit to walk past the frpont porch (that was open) and front door to chuck them over the side gate. Of course, the dogs went made at him barking from behind the gate, the business cards got ripped to bits and the neighbours complained to the local authority about the noise nuisance!! Typical!

Laura xx
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Good for them. Owners of aggressive dogs need to keep their animals contained. A postman or woman is just doing their job; why should they not be allowed to defend themselves? I think some people are jumping to the conclusion that if a dog so much as woofs at a postie, that they are going to get a face full of mace. Unlikely. Most postmen/women are savvy enough to know the houses with the aggressive dogs in.

Do your dogs bark when the door is chapped ? would that be deemed as agressive behaviour, lets face it most dogs will be barking from behind a closed door...doesn't mean they're agressive
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Do your dogs bark when the door is chapped ? would that be deemed as agressive behaviour, lets face it most dogs will be barking from behind a closed door...doesn't mean they're agressive
Chapped? yes they bark. No, I don't consider that aggressive; of course not. 99% of postmen/women are aware that a dog behind a door can't get them, so that isn't an issue.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I stand corrected
To be fair to you, if you only caught the heading of the article, I'm not surprised you got upset - the heading was definitely misleading as it did refer to doggy mace, suggesting an harmful spray.

Wonder if they'll get a hip holster for it too, carrying a bag and sorting mail at the same time I'd love to see how fast they could reach and shoot from the hip...most men don't multi task lol...so just maybe the dogs will be safe after all.
the same thing crossed my mind. When I was younger, I used to carry one of those personal alarms, but to be honest it ended up in the bottom of my bag or stuffed in a coat pocket and I would never have been able to use it in time had I ever needed it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I am fortunate in that my posties love the dogs. I tend to keep Flame indoors when they are delivering, as she is quite protective, but my other three are usually out in the garden when the postie arrives and they all go and say hello to him. Well Yogi just lies in the garden and watches him from a distance, unless he has remembered to bring gravy bones

I don't see anything wrong with postmen being issued with spray to protect themselves, so long as it isn't abused.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Chapped? yes they bark. No, I don't consider that aggressive; of course not. 99% of postmen/women are aware that a dog behind a door can't get them, so that isn't an issue.

My shar pei used to bark when the postie came, one morning we weren't even in and I came back to a note through the door saying couldn't deliver mail, dangerous dog, a bloomin note through the door ! maybe its just the posties here eh ?
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >