View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-07-2009, 08:41 AM
"However, I am also a firm believer in rights of way and those land owners that have rights of way on their property should ensure they are cleared (not clearing a public right of way is an offence), easily accessed and clearly signposted"

I think that you will find that the local authority is responible for signposts etc and certainly where I live, maintain most of the stiles, gates etc along the footpath network. There may be times of the year that a footpath may have a temporary "obstruction" but that can be because you have a combine bearing down on you! I may be wrong but I don't think that a farmer has an obligation to way mark a pathway over a field.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:04 AM
ok, im not really sure on the rules about footpaths etc. but i, personally, think that if the field is owned by the farmer and the council have put the footpath there, then it is the councils responsibility to signpost the field that there could be livestock. if the farmer owns the field, they should be able to use the field for whatever they want. if the field is rented, and the owner put the footpath in the field then they should be responsible, not the farmer. if the farmer put the footpath there, then they are responsible. i think the only thing wrong with what happened was the lack of a signpost, not sure of the circumstances but if he owned the field he should be able to use the field for whatever he wants...

my aunt stays on the isle of mull and many cows around where she lives have a number of fields they can go between, with paths and roads through them but they have never been a problem, even with calves. my aunt keeps her sheep in the same fields as they are in, and she needs to go out to feed, herd and just do generally checks and counts on the sheep and the cows never cause a problem. i know how dangerous they can potentially be though, but i do think the walkers need to take responsibility for where they walk... there are so many ways to look at this and so many situations to think of...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I always thought footpaths were sort of ancient-rights-of-way-type things, which is why they often go through fields, golf courses etc, as if you were making a footpath, you wouldn't put it through the middle of someone's field, or the 7th hole of a golf course, surely?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
"However, I am also a firm believer in rights of way and those land owners that have rights of way on their property should ensure they are cleared (not clearing a public right of way is an offence), easily accessed and clearly signposted"

I think that you will find that the local authority is responible for signposts etc and certainly where I live, maintain most of the stiles, gates etc along the footpath network. There may be times of the year that a footpath may have a temporary "obstruction" but that can be because you have a combine bearing down on you! I may be wrong but I don't think that a farmer has an obligation to way mark a pathway over a field.
It is the landowners responsibility with financial help from the highways agency.

17. Who is supposed to look after stiles and gates on a path?
Maintaining these is primarily the owner’s responsibility, but the highway authority (or the district council if it is maintaining the path; see also Q7) must, in certain cases, contribute 25% of the cost if asked and may contribute more if it wishes. If stiles and gates are not kept in proper repair the authority can, after 14 days’ notice, do the job itself and send the bill to the owner
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:45 AM
what would happen where i live then cos i live in the new forest and the cows are on the forest roaming!!! never had any prolems with people being trampled and most dogs are loose as well!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I think there should at least be signs indicating that cows are in fields. On a couple of occasions I have been surprised by a herd of cows plodding around the corner. On those instances I sharply turned around and re-traced my steps...

I have also been chased by a herd. The first time I ever walked through a field of cows. I naived walked through them thinking it would be fine. Luckily I am a fast runner.

I will not walk through a field with cattle in now. I don't tend to do long rambles anyway and generally walk in places I know are safe.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Surely a simple sign to say that cows in the field have calves and therefore are unpredictable and very possibly violent so you use the footpath at your own risk?

That way if you decide it's not worth the risk, you walk back on yourself or go the long way around to the pub, if you decide to risk it, it's your own fault?

Some people who use the countryside really don't understand the countryside and wouldn't even think about how the cows may be with calves so I think a sign is fair, however - farmers simply can't afford to pay out such sums in compensation.

I am not trying to detract from the seriousness of such an incident and do feel terribly sorry for anyone in such a situation.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:27 AM
but getting signs up prb wont help! we have signs up in the new forest not to touch or feed the ponies! but every yer we get tourists getting kicked cos they are touching the foals and the mum is peed off with them, signs or no signs people seem to do what they want
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Hmmm... £250,000.. I could do with the money, wonder if I can find me a herd of cows? Nice cows willing to trample gently...

Just saying
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It just wouldnt work Rips because the general public just dont take any notice of warning signs and i know this first hand.One farm i shoot over has a public footpath running nearby and the farmer has steel signs saying 'Shoot boundary-no tresspassing' yet i watch dog walkers come strolling across his land with no care in the world.When i ask them what they're doing here they reply "what harm are we doing?".Sometimes you just educate the dim.

All land belongs to someone and whether they grant access across it is another matter.
From my understanding, a sign on a gate is like admitting liability - a bit like us having a Beware of the Dogs sign.

And for the people who are labelling anyone who has been confronted by cows as "ignorant", "arrogant" and "townies" - My grandparents had a cattle farm so I was brought up to have a very healthy respect for cows, I live in an extremely rural setting, my husband is a shepherd, we also have Highland cows (who are crazy ) and I have still had run-ins with cows.

If I have the opportunity of avoiding cattle (and cows with calves in particular), then I most definitely will, especially when I have my dogs with me, which is most of the time. However, you sometimes come across cattle on mountain paths, on moorland, in woodland and lots of other places other than just the average square field. It is not always apparent there are cows in the vicinity until it is too late.

Obviously, as I live on a farm and our livelihood is in farming and livestock, I know how difficult it can be to make a decent living from the land and from livestock, however I still believe that the countryside should not be for a select few, and should be accessible to everyone. Of course, common sense should be applied when walking in the countryside, and also a respect for the people who live and work here - but I do believe that there should be a bit of give and take on both sides.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >