Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I wish the public recognised that guarding breeds are hard-wired to guard. I have to be so vigilant for joggers! Daisy just can`t get it into her head that some great fat sweaty guy rushing at me grunting and waving a bottle is allowed to it because he`s wearing trainers.
That can be a problem for guarding breeds. Because I train my two in protection, they know that joggers and other such innocent activities are not a threat and, although they notice them, they don't alert to them. Having said that, because I know what they can do when switched on, and I know they are not robots and they have the potential under the right circumstances to become suspicious of a person by themselves, I always call them back to me and put them under command when other members of the public approach us.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I agree with you gsdmad, and as much as I would never, ever want my dogs harmed in any way by any would-be attacker, when push comes to shove, MY life is more important to me than theirs I'm afraid, so if it meant I'd end up dead rather than the dogs, I'm afraid I value my life a lot, and wouldn't want it to be ended but the dogs lived on, that's verging on the ridiculous imo! I think my husband would agree, that he'd rather have me here no matter who else got hurt in saving my life!
I agree with you there - I love both my dogs dearly and I would be inconsolable if anything happened to them - but I would expect them to protect me.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have trained protection dogs in the house and ones who are not, I feel the trained dogs are far less "risk" in as much as they wouldnt make the decision, where as the un trained ones we wouldnt really know unless they are in that sinario,.
Agreed. Having owned both protection trained and non- protection trained dogs, I trust the former a lot more than the non trained ones ( in the guarding breeds anyway). I know what will switch them on, how to switch them on, and how to switch them off. Bar a direct physical attack on me, they will only bite on command.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 01:19 PM
But would you WANT your dog to protect you if you were unable to either command him to or have control over him. If your dog alone had to make the decision to either protect you or run...which would you choose? because i for one would much rather my dogs protect me than run and leave me to die or whatever!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
But would you WANT your dog to protect you if you were unable to either command him to or have control over him. If your dog alone had to make the decision to either protect you or run...which would you choose? because i for one would much rather my dogs protect me than run and leave me to die or whatever!
with kaos, if it came to someone striking me he would act without command.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh god I doubt it. Ivan would probably do his excited dance while the attack was in progress and then go off with the attacker happy as larry with his tongue hanging out and bum wagging!!!
Having said that people tend to get a fright when they see him and sometimes cross the road!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
That can be a problem for guarding breeds. Because I train my two in protection, they know that joggers and other such innocent activities are not a threat and, although they notice them, they don't alert to them. Having said that, because I know what they can do when switched on, and I know they are not robots and they have the potential under the right circumstances to become suspicious of a person by themselves, I always call them back to me and put them under command when other members of the public approach us.
Same with me, all of my gsd's have totally ignored joggers, bikes, etc. and yet on a lonely morning, and they see a lone man approaching, that's different, very different and then they go on their leads, even ZENA at 6 months old has never attempted to eye up a jogger and yet she'll give a man on his own the hackles!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Same with me, all of my gsd's have totally ignored joggers, bikes, etc. and yet on a lonely morning, and they see a lone man approaching, that's different, very different and then they go on their leads, even ZENA at 6 months old has never attempted to eye up a jogger and yet she'll give a man on his own the hackles!
Totally agree! My two don't bother at all with joggers, cyclists etc but if there is a lone man, or a person who is acting strangely (or just clearly afraid of my dogs) you can see them go from laidback to alert and watchful.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 05:41 PM
sam used to do that - notice a man on his own - hackles up

if i ever felt uneasy i used to say 'guard',... and she was always on her guard then.... which was nice

Millie is part of the family but i would expect her to put herself before me if it was ever needed too....... but i really dont think she would lol!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by phoenixlipo View Post
Hi,

It is important also to care properly for your dog. He needs the right food, place to spend his time, grooming, bathing and veterinary care. There are essential vaccinations that need to be administered early and renewed from time to time. Again, the Internet has plenty of advice about the care, feeding and veterinary care of your dog.

Techniques of socialization, training and care must be mastered not only by you but also by the other members of your household. It is absolutely essential that your entire household learn how to socialize, train and care for your dog. All experts agree that an out-of-control household will produce an out-of-control dog. The mistakes by the many will undo the socialization and training by only one person. To accomplish this, hire a dog trainer or take your dog and your family to training classes. There are many trainers and different training methods to choose from.

thanks,

Phoenix Lipo
err...thanks. anyone for tinned ham?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 12:42 PM
My two are from a guarding breed. I have no doubt that when fully grown they will defend me or the kids. I wanted a guarding breed to make me feel safe. Rio puts up her hackles, growls and barks at anyone who's a bit weird (men without dogs, People staggering, hats etc.) I would want them to defend me or my family.
Page 5 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »