Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
Now this is probably going to be quite contriversial, hope not

I met a lady today through 'freecycle' it was all related to wooden posts really, anyway it just so happened that she had a litter of pups there.
She had never had a litter before and so had gone online to various forums ect looking for advice.
She was met with contempt and lectures at being so irresponsible. Now i understand many of the reasons why she got that reaction but the pups are here and she just wants to do right by them. Is it not the duty of dog forums to help?
Personally i did not know the answers to many of her questions as ive never bred a litter of dogs but did offer to e-mail her after searching threads here at dogsey that may relate to her questions.
I know we should be promoting good breeding practices but when a litter is already here should we (dog lovers) not be helping with advice where we can?
Liz I thought this was a hypothetical question...
With the help of google i have now found the answer to this womans questions, quite simple really but not being a breeder i had no idea, thanks everybody for caring enough to ask what her questions were and help me help her
...If you were seeking specific advice why not just go ahead and ask the questions on behalf of a third person.
If you don't make your intentions clear don't be surprised if people are less than helpful..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As we don`t know the circumstances or what happened with other forums, this is pure speculation. I still think a vet or PDSA or the RSPCA or a Rescue is a better place to seek advice about whelping or rearing puppies. Forums are great for debate, for social stuff, or for comparing notes - but not for free vet advice.
Very good post!
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Now this is probably going to be quite contriversial, hope not

I met a lady today through 'freecycle' it was all related to wooden posts really, anyway it just so happened that she had a litter of pups there.
She had never had a litter before and so had gone online to various forums ect looking for advice.
She was met with contempt and lectures at being so irresponsible. Now i understand many of the reasons why she got that reaction but the pups are here and she just wants to do right by them. Is it not the duty of dog forums to help?
Personally i did not know the answers to many of her questions as ive never bred a litter of dogs but did offer to e-mail her after searching threads here at dogsey that may relate to her questions.
I know we should be promoting good breeding practices but when a litter is already here should we (dog lovers) not be helping with advice where we can?
Yes, we should be helping...

Unfortunately you didn't ask any specific questions, and I think, since you're the one wanting advice, you should have volunteered that information - not waiting for people to ask... I'm sure you would have gotten a lot of advice, especially since it was a simple problem...

Hope the puppies are OK...
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I would also express my disapproval, but I'd help if I could, for the bitch and pup's sake. Their welfare is more important than getting a point across imo, that can be done afterwards lol. It would depend on what the problem was though...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
I would also express my disapproval, but I'd help if I could, for the bitch and pup's sake. Their welfare is more important than getting a point across imo, that can be done afterwards lol. It would depend on what the problem was though...
I dont think anyone would refuse help, but if people can swap stuff on Freecycle why cant they search the net for answers? Or as somebody else said, ask a vet! Im sorry its all rubbish, help is there for all, no excuses, I expect they will need little help selling them! Why did Liz have to find answers for them? Dont they have google on their computer?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
The idea is to do the research first though..thats called being responsible..(fair enough if she took on a pregnant dog)
BUT if she went ahead and deliberately mated her bitch then she is in the wrong!!
She should have read and asked BEFORE doing it and then panicking!! Common sense should prevail..
If you aint done something before don't you read up on it before you do it???
Having a baby, buying a new phone, buying a new car etc etc..Even more care should be taken when it involves the health and life of an animal
I couldn't have put it better myself.....
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I have definitely noticed on this forum, in the past, when someone has asked for help on breeding matters (albeit I agree that they should have found the answers long before they asked on a forum) I have noticed that some of the members with loads of breeding experience, stay silent. Which I think is a shame! However, better they do that than come on lecturing and judging, so I'm not saying that they are wrong to keep silent.

I have had to ask my Breeding Mentor some questions for people needing advice before, when I've not known the answers myself, which she has happily answered. I think, like me, she sees that if somebody is faced with a litter and you don't help that person, the only ones to suffer are the pups who are in the "breeders" hands (using the breeder word loosely if they don't have a clue what they are doing).

As a breeder who is still learning my way through, I appreciate, probably more than some of you that "judge" just how things can go wrong and the need for a Mentor is top of the list. I always give this advice, as I couldn't have got by without my Mentor. Anyone who attempts breeding without a Mentor to call on 24/7 is likely to land their bitch is deep poop!!!! A chance I personally wouldn't take. Okay, we all have Vets on hand but not all Vets are completely up on breeding (as I learned to the detriment of my first litter) so a Mentor is essential.

By the way, what are the questions you were wanting to ask? I would be more than happy to help, if I can I don't have major practical experience but I've read and studied breeding in a very serious way
Rigrunner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Can't confess to having read all this thread but a thought springs to mind which ties this thread to another current one - are forums a dangerous thing

Perhaps experienced people just get fed up with constantly giving out advice? Which would also tie with why (from the other thread) new people love to jump in with the sound of their own keyboards clicking
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I dont think anyone would refuse help, but if people can swap stuff on Freecycle why cant they search the net for answers? Or as somebody else said, ask a vet! Im sorry its all rubbish, help is there for all, no excuses, I expect they will need little help selling them! Why did Liz have to find answers for them? Dont they have google on their computer?
I expect they could google themselves, I would just feel better helping them if i could
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Rigrunner View Post
Can't confess to having read all this thread but a thought springs to mind which ties this thread to another current one - are forums a dangerous thing

Perhaps experienced people just get fed up with constantly giving out advice? Which would also tie with why (from the other thread) new people love to jump in with the sound of their own keyboards clicking
I think that some people just like to help, if they can. I always try to help, if possible. Certainly not from the point of view that I like to click away. In fact, I hate advising on the internet, as I often wonder whether people truly understand what you are trying to say. If I give any breeding advice (which is rare) I will always check with another experienced breeder before I post (unless I'm absolutely sure of what I'm saying), as giving the wrong breeding advice is worse than giving no advice at all
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >