Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
but the puppies can not get the condition if one parent is a carrier and the other a clear. both parents would have to be a carrier for the pups to be affected. so if the pups were tested when they were born, put under a contract that they must be spayed/neutered and pet home only, and the owners knew full well that the puppies were a carrier of a problem, but hadnt got it themselves. whats the problem?
This is something I do not understand - why is it Ok to breed from one generation of carriers but not the next?

If it turned out that the whole litter were carriers there would have been little to no point the mating in the first place.

I find it hard to justify using a carrier in some breeds, but I understand why it is sensible in others. It is not something I am happy about though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:46 PM
But it does not work like that, if it did the KC would not have introduced the CLAD programme.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:49 PM
From 17th June 2003 all Irish Red & White Setters used for breeding should be either hereditarily clear of CLAD or have a CLAD DNA test before they are used for breeding.

Identified carriers can be used for breeding, but they should only be mated to a dog that is either hereditarily clear of CLAD or one that has DNA tested clear of CLAD; carriers should not be mated to carriers.

All of the registered offspring of a carrier mated to a clear should be clearly identified, DNA tested and registered as either tested clear or carrier.

From 17th June 2008 the Kennel Club will refuse registration of Irish Red & White Setter puppies unless both parents have been tested clear of CLAD, or are hereditarily clear of CLAD.

No carriers will be registered after 16th June 2008

The test distinguishes between clear, carrier and affected dogs.

Clear dogs have no copies of the mutant gene responsible for CLAD and will neither develop the condition nor pass a CLAD gene on to their offspring.

Carrier dogs have one copy of the normal gene and one copy of the mutant gene; they will not develop the condition, but will pass a mutant gene on to approximately half of their offspring. Affected dogs have two copies of the mutant gene that causes CLAD and will develop the disease

So, it is simple, all the dogs are DNA tested PRIOR to breeding ergo removal of all affected and carrier dogs.

So how can it be WRONG!

Because you end up with NO AFFECTED DOG and NO CARRIERS and so that is the END OF THE GENETIC CONDITION
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
This is something I do not understand - why is it Ok to breed from one generation of carriers but not the next?

If it turned out that the whole litter were carriers there would have been little to no point the mating in the first place.

I find it hard to justify using a carrier in some breeds, but I understand why it is sensible in others. It is not something I am happy about though.
Can understand where you are coming from
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
***So how can it be WRONG!
You cant stop folk having their opinions.*
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:59 PM
No and you cannot stop facts being facts.

You may disagree with them, but the CLAD programme in both Red and Red and White Setters is a clear (pardon the pun) demonstration of how it works and how a disease can be eradicated (apart from those people who do not kc register but then of course they will be weeded out by natural selection anyway).

So VB you may disagree with the practice but the reason I posted the info from the KC site was to demonstrate how the scheme works and why you can use carriers judiciously in a planned breeding progamme (should you need to).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

there is no saying that the next generation of carriers couldnt be bred from, but if that was the case i would only let them go to experienced breeders who knew about the genetics and conditions. if they were being bought by pet owners, or someone who didnt want to breed, then i dont see the problem in getting them spayed or neutered. i wouldnt want the risk of someone breeding carrier to carrier (i.e someone in it for a quick lot of cash) and pups with the condition being born.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No and you cannot stop facts being facts.

You may disagree with them, but the CLAD programme in both Red and Red and White Setters is a clear (pardon the pun) demonstration of how it works and how a disease can be eradicated (apart from those people who do not kc register but then of course they will be weeded out by natural selection anyway).

So VB you may disagree with the practice but the reason I posted the info from the KC site was to demonstrate how the scheme works and why you can use carriers judiciously in a planned breeding progamme (should you need to).
Youve missed the point - as i attempted to explain re congenital problems affecting Boxers - carriers of the congenital renal disease in Boxers need to be excluded from breeding programmes. Renal (kidney) disease is devastating both to the owner & the dog not least the suffering & distress it causes

Yes, i agreed with Tassle - i saw where she was coming from! Am i not allowed to agree with another dogsey member without your getting on your soapbox?
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Personally, as an owner of an epileptic dog, I would consider it very irresponsible and foolhardy to breed from dogs where either line has a history of epilepsy. I believe that should apply to other hereditary diseases too.( Cancer not included as it isn't hereditary.)
Unfortunately breeders go to great lengths to conceal this kind of information.
Why put dogs and owners through years of unnecessary suffering.
This is a "soap box" subject of mine as you might have guessed!
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Aerolor, I couldn't have put it better myself!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >