Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Hope it went well today x
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I hope every thing went well today and Cherry will soon be on the mend.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Everything crossed here that Cherry's op went ok.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone-she is back home and seems to be ok. I collected her from the vets at 4.45pm and I was steeling myself because I knew I would be upset at how she would look but it was worse than I expected! The leaflet they gave me at Newmarket showed a dog with an eye removed but it had obviously (though not to me at the time!) been done some time ago and it didn't look too bad. When I picked Cherry up her eye socket is all swollen (sp?) and she has huge stitches protuding. I cried when I got outside and when my husband rang up to see how she was.

I know looks aren't that important and obviously how she feels is important but at least I can grow her hair inbetween her eyes to fall over the empty eye socket so it won't be noticeable which wouldn't be possible for all breeds of dog.

Strange thing happened on Sunday morning. I had taken Parker out with Cherry onto the heath to groom him for the terrier show that day and a lady stopped to talk to me about the dogs. She was on holiday from Australia and she started telling me about how her previous dog had to have an eye removed! She was saying about how they debated whether to pts or if its quality of life would be ok and in the end it had to have the other eye removed 6 months later She said it still had a great quality of life and adjusted really well and lived a few years after its eyes were removed.

I just felt she was "God-sent" as I was feeling apprehensive and wondering whether it would be better to have Cherry pts if her quality of life would be rubbish.

Jamie hasn't seen Cherry yet as he's at work till 10pm tonight so I'm off to pick him up in a moment. I know he'll put a brave face on it for my sake though. Sometimes it helps to have a good cry though.

Cherry enjoyed her tea very much as she had chicken breast cooked in the slow cooker with brown pasta and carrots. I debated whether to put some of it into her Kong as normal but I did and she was quite happy to take it out into the garden and eat "al fresco"! She likes to eat outside.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 09:09 PM
To have to lose an eye always seems shocking, but things will get better for Cherry now. Its amazing how dogs can adapt and mend. Once the swelling goes and the wound has healed she should be much happier and will not have the pain she had. I hope all goes well and her recovery will be quick and uneventfull.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm so pleased she is back home, from what you have written she seems to be taking it all in her stride.

It's understandable that you will be upset, I hope she continues to improve and you can feel justified in the decision you had to make...I'm sure she will come on in leaps and bounds and you will soon come to the conclusion that you did the right thing for her xx
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Thanks everyone-she is back home and seems to be ok. I collected her from the vets at 4.45pm and I was steeling myself because I knew I would be upset at how she would look but it was worse than I expected! The leaflet they gave me at Newmarket showed a dog with an eye removed but it had obviously (though not to me at the time!) been done some time ago and it didn't look too bad. When I picked Cherry up her eye socket is all swollen (sp?) and she has huge stitches protuding. I cried when I got outside and when my husband rang up to see how she was.

I know looks aren't that important and obviously how she feels is important but at least I can grow her hair inbetween her eyes to fall over the empty eye socket so it won't be noticeable which wouldn't be possible for all breeds of dog.

Strange thing happened on Sunday morning. I had taken Parker out with Cherry onto the heath to groom him for the terrier show that day and a lady stopped to talk to me about the dogs. She was on holiday from Australia and she started telling me about how her previous dog had to have an eye removed! She was saying about how they debated whether to pts or if its quality of life would be ok and in the end it had to have the other eye removed 6 months later She said it still had a great quality of life and adjusted really well and lived a few years after its eyes were removed.

I just felt she was "God-sent" as I was feeling apprehensive and wondering whether it would be better to have Cherry pts if her quality of life would be rubbish.

Jamie hasn't seen Cherry yet as he's at work till 10pm tonight so I'm off to pick him up in a moment. I know he'll put a brave face on it for my sake though. Sometimes it helps to have a good cry though.

Cherry enjoyed her tea very much as she had chicken breast cooked in the slow cooker with brown pasta and carrots. I debated whether to put some of it into her Kong as normal but I did and she was quite happy to take it out into the garden and eat "al fresco"! She likes to eat outside.
I felt the same reading it So glad the encounter left you feeling more positive.

I'm glad Cherry is back home safe and sound. Wishing her a speedy recovery from her surgery.

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear it al went well and she is doing so well now she is home.

Eye surgery can be horrible the first time you see it.

Hugs xx
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >