Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Once when I was doggie sitting my sons dog (an epileptic collie) I got up in the morning to a pile of poo, which I cleared up and didn't think anymore about it. When my son rang I told him and he said he thought she had probably a fit as thats what happens. I felt dreadful for sleeping through it and not giving her loads of recovery love
Aww....bless. Thankfully that doesn't happen to Cassie, so far anyway.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
So sorry to hear his, Jackie. Hope the right dosage of meds is worked out for Cassie soon. All the best and take care.
Thanks Nicola. xx

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Honey, do you give the bromide tablets with food?
No, without food. It doesn't specify. We were giving her it at lunch time after she'd eaten but she was throwing up within 20 minutes of the tablet with a full tummy so we now give it to her before John takes her out in the morning before she's eaten and she isn't sick as often. The phenobarb gets crushed on doggy chocs and she takes that no problem but we have to put the bromide down her throat or she spits it out
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Aww....bless. Thankfully that doesn't happen to Cassie, so far anyway.

Thanks Nicola. xx

No, without food. It doesn't specify. We were giving her it at lunch time after she'd eaten but she was throwing up within 20 minutes of the tablet with a full tummy so we now give it to her before John takes her out in the morning before she's eaten and she isn't sick as often. The phenobarb gets crushed on doggy chocs and she takes that no problem but we have to put the bromide down her throat or she spits it out
Oh right, I read to give the bromide with food - or around the same time - as it can irritate the stomach and cause nausea etc. But if Cassie is throwing up the whole lot ... although bromide is readily soluble so I think within 20 minutes it should have dissolved in the stomach and been absorbed. I don't know for certain.

Might be worth giving with a treat or something? Sounds like you've got the best way though, giving it before the walk. I think it should have been absorbed in that time.

Aw hugs, I know how hard this is - even worse when you have two different drugs to juggle.
x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh right, I read to give the bromide with food - or around the same time - as it can irritate the stomach and cause nausea etc. But if Cassie is throwing up the whole lot ... although bromide is readily soluble so I think within 20 minutes it should have dissolved in the stomach and been absorbed. I don't know for certain.

Might be worth giving with a treat or something? Sounds like you've got the best way though, giving it before the walk. I think it should have been absorbed in that time.

Aw hugs, I know how hard this is - even worse when you have two different drugs to juggle.
x
Thanks again. I know, I thought it was best to try with food first but that didn't seem to be working.

She's so excited on a morning for her walk, she tends to forget about the nausea. We try and keep her away from grass as well as she'll go to eat that then be sick, little moo!!

We also tried to give her the bromide with her doggy chocs but she was having none of it. She'll only take the phenobarb that way She knows the difference too.

The vet did say as long as we didn't find the tablet in the sick, it should be ok. That's a fun job, I can tell ya!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't know if this will help but Loki had a blood test this week and the vet just rang me to let me know his levels are around the same.

However, she did say that if he continues to have regular fits we may need to add another drug. Now, I've already asked them about adding a drug called Keppra and she did mention this one. It is a human drug and expensive but if you have insurance ... the other one she mentioned was gabapentin, another human drug.

These apparently don't cause sedation, although gabapentin needs to be given three times a day. I am about to look it up, although Keppra would be my first choice after reading up on it. Apparently the neurologist that Loki saw when he first started fitting always puts dogs on Keppra now.

I mentioned phenobarb to her and reiterated that I don't want Loki on it. This is because of the risk to the liver and the fact that Loki had a bad reaction to it the first time we tried it (he was hyper and climbing the walls) and she agreed that it isn't the right drug for him.

I don't know if this info is of any use to you but it might be worth thinking of something like Keppra if Cassie's fits continue to be frequent.

Big hugs to you both.
xxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Sorry Jackie I seem to have missed this earlier. I'm sorry to read that Cassie had yet another attack. It seems your vet is doing all they can, as others have said it seems a lot of medication, I just hope that over time you will get the right doseage and that poor Cassie won't suffer any more of these fits. Give her a hug from me please.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Just caught up with the thread,
Sorry to hear this wufflehoond ..hope cassie is improving on her medz and on the mend.
Hows is she to day?
All the best...keep us posted
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Hope she gets better its such a worry isnt it
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Poor Cassie's had another fit

{{{Hugs}}} For you all....I hope she's feeling a bit better now x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't know if this will help but Loki had a blood test this week and the vet just rang me to let me know his levels are around the same.

However, she did say that if he continues to have regular fits we may need to add another drug. Now, I've already asked them about adding a drug called Keppra and she did mention this one. It is a human drug and expensive but if you have insurance ... the other one she mentioned was gabapentin, another human drug.

These apparently don't cause sedation, although gabapentin needs to be given three times a day. I am about to look it up, although Keppra would be my first choice after reading up on it. Apparently the neurologist that Loki saw when he first started fitting always puts dogs on Keppra now.

I mentioned phenobarb to her and reiterated that I don't want Loki on it. This is because of the risk to the liver and the fact that Loki had a bad reaction to it the first time we tried it (he was hyper and climbing the walls) and she agreed that it isn't the right drug for him.

I don't know if this info is of any use to you but it might be worth thinking of something like Keppra if Cassie's fits continue to be frequent.

Big hugs to you both.
xxx
Thanks LS, I'll have a look at those meds and make a note for the next time we're at the vet.xx

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sorry Jackie I seem to have missed this earlier. I'm sorry to read that Cassie had yet another attack. It seems your vet is doing all they can, as others have said it seems a lot of medication, I just hope that over time you will get the right doseage and that poor Cassie won't suffer any more of these fits. Give her a hug from me please.
Thanks Harveyxx

Originally Posted by hades View Post
Just caught up with the thread,
Sorry to hear this wufflehoond ..hope cassie is improving on her medz and on the mend.
Hows is she to day?
All the best...keep us posted
Thanks. She's doing fine tonight. Sleeping peacefully

Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Hope she gets better its such a worry isnt it
Thanks, yes it is worrying

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Sorry to hear that Poor Cassie's had another fit

{{{Hugs}}} For you all....I hope she's feeling a bit better now x
Thanks Lou, she's doing fine at the moment

I thought I'd post this pic for you all to show you how Cassie is doing tonight. Not a doggy that looks particularly traumatised! We are all thankful for all your kind wishes. xx

Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Aww Bless her....It makes me feel so sad, hope she doesn't have another fit. She's soooooo beautiful x
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >