Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:11 AM
[quote="betchyacan"]
Originally Posted by Laura
a Ch Psycho, became notorious for their merits quote]
Well, I will grant Psycho was a good dog in his area, and he has produced, with the help of the injection of KC blood, some good dogs down his line, but the truth is that he was actually a bit of a handbag slapper, as were many of the Staffords of the day, It wasnt hard to Ch a dog if opponants were picked carefully. I dont want to bring this thread down the fighting route as we al find it a distastfeull part of our dogs history. But I want to use the example to demonstrate how easy it is for the relativly mediochre to become a legend by chinese whispers and the chance to make a quick buck.
Had Psycho gone up against a halfway decent pit bull he would not be the big selling point that he is today.
My point in using that as an example was to illustrate that it did not really matter what went into these dogs before or since. Good dogs were good dogs regardless of pedigree. If he has KC blood way back great where is the problem? If he has produced good dogs with the help of KC blood even better. Is anybody actually arguing that there is a problem with KC dogs or the use of this blood?

It seems like it is being made into an "us" and "them" with regards the KC dogs here when as far as I can see that is not the case. You have good and bad in all like I keep saying.

I cannot say whether the likes of Psycho were good dogs as I was not there personally so I dont know, I have heard many a story about him and what a good dog he was, I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the dogs they produced and he certainly did not fail at producing some great dogs. Of course the line is mass produced these days and I am sure there are some very bad examples of these dogs too but that goes with most things in life.

I dont think there can ever really be any comparison between Pitbulls and Staffords to be honest. I too am not bringing the topic into the post to glorify it but if we are talking history then there is no getting round it.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by betchyacan
Well speaking for myself Pete, I talk about the dogs from shows I have been to - and no not the odd one 5 years ago like you say but I do go regularly to see what is on offer - usually there are a few decent dogs but on the whole I am never impressed by what catches the judges eye. Usually I find the more impressive dogs tend to be left behind against the more extreme looking dogs i.e. those with shorter thicker legs, barrel chests, wide heads but short noses. I think its great for those people who do go to these shows and campaign a healthier alternative but usually their efforts go unnoticed. Even worse than this is the dogs who have breathing problems, I think its sad that some of the well known champions suffer from breathing problems too as at the end of the day this is suppose to be a canine athlete first and foremost whether they are bred for work or show health not rosettes should be the primary concern. Like it said on another site form should always follow function I think that is a fair assumption.

Some dogs I go by what I see in pictures, while you say some look very different in real life I am always of the thought that a picture tells a thousand words and quite often they do. I go by what my friends have told me from dogs they have seen in the flesh too. I have seen some cracknig KC dogs but overall I think what is winning at shows is really going downhill. They should be imo canine athletes regardless of what they are bred for I think its a shame that so many of the winning show dogs are such extreme examples of the breed. Is it just me or is this going off topic? I mean I thouht it was for discussing the Irish dogs not the goods and bads of the KC dogs.

off topic, I dont think so, the aim of the conversation at present is to query the sensibility and reality of describing a strain of dogs as a seperate breed, IE the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I feel that disregarding the Stormer lines all these dogs are Staffords, no more no less. and the idea of giving certain lines a special name to suggest they are maybe better than another is a dangerous game in today BSL climate. Breeding over tall dogs is an equally dangerous game, a dog doesnt need to be the size of new south wales to be athletic and healthy. The so called Irish Staff is is no better or no worse than a well bred KC registered dog. KC dogs are also being bred to ridiculous sizes outside the show ring by novices that think bigger = old tyme.
As I said in my 1st post, if we take a look at the clandestine working dogs still going in the breed, theres is little to choose from, the irish bred lines( if we MUST distinguish between) are just as challenged in that feild as the working bred KC registered stock. there is very little left. All we have now is the chance to keep the dogs temperment and looks to the standards of the OLD dogs, not what we imagine a fighting dog should look like, and it seems to me that there is an equal amount of fancy in the old time lines as in the show lines, albeit that the exaggerated old time dogs are healthier. But what use is health if oversized dogs are being bred from, give what to the authorities see as a fake name for a pit, and they get further BSL pushed through.
But is anybody really saying that the GOOD KC dogs are any worse or any better than the Irish strain dogs? I cant see why giving dogs a different label makes them look any better or any worse, perhaps that is just my own blinkered view? You get good and bad in all dogs, its what they do that counts. Most people seem to be saying the SHOW dogs, which by your own admission, are in serious decline. That is not to say every KC dog is a bad example, I have seen some cracking examples and there are many breeders out there breednig fantastic dogs.

You obviously have a preference for the smaller dogs which is fine myself I like a slightly taller dog, 18" for me is a nice height, but like I have said I dont have a problem either way whether the dog is taller or smaller as long as it is well balanced and capable, surely variations of type and size will always exist. I have pictrues of show champions dating back from the early 50s to late 70s and even back then the variation in type and size is great.

I do agree there is no breed called the ISBT and these dogs they refer to should not be classed as such, just Irish strain or Irish bred SBTs. But the name is bandied around so much that I think it will stick now rightly or wrongly.
lol, OK, at the risk of flogging a dead horse, and no im not into masochistic necrophiliac bestiality!!!!!!! lmao, When we talk of the Irish BRED dogs that make up most of the types population in the UK etc, how many have parents that actually WERE from Eire?? If sire and dam were from Eire, then yes, I guess they would be Irish bred, but if they and their recent forebearers wre bred over here for example, how does that make them IRISH??? I mean, we have stock that was exported to the states (KC) that in turn over the years found their lines imported back to the Uk, does this make them American Staffordshire bull terriers?? No, but for somoe reason the same situation with the Irish dogs justifies a special name!!
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 10:12 AM

You are talking about SHOW dogs, not KC dogs bred to the old standards. Not every KC dog is a snuffling pig that cannot self welp. Ive also seeen many a small stafford as athletic as you like. APBT's too, they are often tiny wee things. bigger is not better. Particually in this age of legislation.
erm...........actually no I wasnt talking about SHOW dogs, I have seen a few dogs from show kennels that were actually quite nice dogs, I am talking about the small, stuffy necked, pug nosed types of stafford that some people are favouring breeding nowadays, and that applies to people who breed dogs for the pet market as well. I have seen some really small staffs that look more like jack russels and others that looked more like pug crosses, so please dont tell me what I meant. If I meant SHOW dogs I would have said SHOW dogs.

you like the type of dog you like, I like the type of dog I like, well just have to disagree on that one. Wouldnt life be boring if we all shared the same opinion and there would be only one type of staff as well so that would be pretty dull too
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Well speaking for myself Pete, I talk about the dogs from shows I have been to - and no not the odd one 5 years ago like you say but I do go regularly to see what is on offer - usually there are a few decent dogs but on the whole I am never impressed by what catches the judges eye. Usually I find the more impressive dogs tend to be left behind against the more extreme looking dogs i.e. those with shorter thicker legs, barrel chests, wide heads but short noses. I think its great for those people who do go to these shows and campaign a healthier alternative but usually their efforts go unnoticed. Even worse than this is the dogs who have breathing problems, I think its sad that some of the well known champions suffer from breathing problems too as at the end of the day this is suppose to be a canine athlete first and foremost whether they are bred for work or show health not rosettes should be the primary concern. Like it said on another site form should always follow function I think that is a fair assumption.

Some dogs I go by what I see in pictures, while you say some look very different in real life I am always of the thought that a picture tells a thousand words and quite often they do. I go by what my friends have told me from dogs they have seen in the flesh too. I have seen some cracknig KC dogs but overall I think what is winning at shows is really going downhill. They should be imo canine athletes regardless of what they are bred for I think its a shame that so many of the winning show dogs are such extreme examples of the breed. Is it just me or is this going off topic? I mean I thouht it was for discussing the Irish dogs not the goods and bads of the KC dogs.

off topic, I dont think so, the aim of the conversation at present is to query the sensibility and reality of describing a strain of dogs as a seperate breed, IE the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I feel that disregarding the Stormer lines all these dogs are Staffords, no more no less. and the idea of giving certain lines a special name to suggest they are maybe better than another is a dangerous game in today BSL climate. Breeding over tall dogs is an equally dangerous game, a dog doesnt need to be the size of new south wales to be athletic and healthy. The so called Irish Staff is is no better or no worse than a well bred KC registered dog. KC dogs are also being bred to ridiculous sizes outside the show ring by novices that think bigger = old tyme.
As I said in my 1st post, if we take a look at the clandestine working dogs still going in the breed, theres is little to choose from, the irish bred lines( if we MUST distinguish between) are just as challenged in that feild as the working bred KC registered stock. there is very little left. All we have now is the chance to keep the dogs temperment and looks to the standards of the OLD dogs, not what we imagine a fighting dog should look like, and it seems to me that there is an equal amount of fancy in the old time lines as in the show lines, albeit that the exaggerated old time dogs are healthier. But what use is health if oversized dogs are being bred from, give what to the authorities see as a fake name for a pit, and they get further BSL pushed through.
But is anybody really saying that the GOOD KC dogs are any worse or any better than the Irish strain dogs? I cant see why giving dogs a different label makes them look any better or any worse, perhaps that is just my own blinkered view? You get good and bad in all dogs, its what they do that counts. Most people seem to be saying the SHOW dogs, which by your own admission, are in serious decline. That is not to say every KC dog is a bad example, I have seen some cracking examples and there are many breeders out there breednig fantastic dogs.

You obviously have a preference for the smaller dogs which is fine myself I like a slightly taller dog, 18" for me is a nice height, but like I have said I dont have a problem either way whether the dog is taller or smaller as long as it is well balanced and capable, surely variations of type and size will always exist. I have pictrues of show champions dating back from the early 50s to late 70s and even back then the variation in type and size is great.

I do agree there is no breed called the ISBT and these dogs they refer to should not be classed as such, just Irish strain or Irish bred SBTs. But the name is bandied around so much that I think it will stick now rightly or wrongly.
lol, OK, at the risk of flogging a dead horse, and no im not into masochistic necrophiliac bestiality!!!!!!! lmao, When we talk of the Irish BRED dogs that make up most of the types population in the UK etc, how many have parents that actually WERE from Eire?? If sire and dam were from Eire, then yes, I guess they would be Irish bred, but if they and their recent forebearers wre bred over here for example, how does that make them IRISH??? I mean, we have stock that was exported to the states (KC) that in turn over the years found their lines imported back to the Uk, does this make them American Staffordshire bull terriers?? No, but for somoe reason the same situation with the Irish dogs justifies a special name!!
How many Staffords come from Staffordshire?
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Im inclined to agree with you about CH Psycho though betcha,
He wasnt the best winning dog there was around in those days, the fact he is only a CH and not a GR CH is also of relevance.
There were other dogs in those days which were more titled and had more wins under their belts, I think Psycho has just become one of the more popular and well known strains, they got "put about a bit" to keep in line with your refernece to slappers :smt003 :smt003
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Thank you CBT, that is the point I have been trying to get over in my last 10 posts lol.

Since parts of my posts are being picked out but not the important parts what does everyboy think about:

We all like what we like, we all have our own views on what an ideal Stafford should look and/or act like. How capable they should be etc. We all have our prefered lines and dogs present day and past. Most importantly we all agree that many of the show dogs are in decline and we are some of the people who can help change that. Some people like taller dogs and some like smaller dogs that does not make either any better, worse, right or wrong. As long as people continue breeding healthy, happy dogs sound in mind and body cant we all be pleased that we are steering the breed in the right direction and continue to promote the alternative, fitter bulldogs?

It seems to me here like the KC dog side is being argued and defended defensivley when nobody is actually arguing or questioning it in the first place - well the GOOD KC dogs that is?
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 10:20 AM
quote]

How many Staffords come from Staffordshire?[/quote]
Not many in the scheme of things, BUT when the breed name was being chosen the "bull and terrier" lost out to the Bull terrier in the correct name. But back when the dogs were recognised the animals used to draw up the 1st standard were from staffordshire, and that is how the old boys decided on the name. That is how the breed type was recognised.
Prehaps I should go get a westie from wales and start a new line of Welsh WHWT's so I can make some extra cash! thats all the Irish moiker is today, an exuse to charge more for an unregistered dog, adn also to allow the peddlers to get in on the act by crossing mutts to produce a dog that looks kindof like a stafford, and palm it off as an "Irish"
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you CBT, that is the point I have been trying to get over in my last 10 posts lol.

Since parts of my posts are being picked out but not the important parts what does everyboy think about:

We all like what we like, we all have our own views on what an ideal Stafford should look and/or act like. How capable they should be etc. We all have our prefered lines and dogs present day and past. Most importantly we all agree that many of the show dogs are in decline and we are some of the people who can help change that. Some people like taller dogs and some like smaller dogs that does not make either any better, worse, right or wrong. As long as people continue breeding healthy, happy dogs sound in mind and body cant we all be pleased that we are steering the breed in the right direction and continue to promote the alternative, fitter bulldogs?

It seems to me here like the KC dog side is being argued and defended defensivley when nobody is actually arguing or questioning it in the first place - well the GOOD KC dogs that is?
What I am trying to pickout is the lack of concern there is about breeding dogs ever rangier, and ever taller, in a climate about to blow sky high!!!! We sould be thinking of reducing the breeds image size and popularity at the moment. Sensible breeders are keeping the size of the dogs DOWN... thats my beef, that and the constant bandying of the "IRISH" stafford, which adds more fuel to the fire of the anti's. My interst lies in preserving our dogs, niot being able to toot that my dog is from a line bred from fighting stock etc etc.
If I was to own a true working staff from the lines we speak of, for example out of FFB Jack, beanie etc, I would NOT be calling my dog ANYTHING other than a Stafford, Id not call it Irish, old time, whatever, it would be as it is a STAFFORD.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Edited
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Ermmmm guy's can I just mention something here.

This is a section dedicated to the 'Irish Stafford' so let's leave it at that.
eerrrmmmmmm isnt this a discussion ABOUT the origins of the dog!???
Or is this one of those forums like the show peoples, where you cannot discuss differing opinions on a "breed"??
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »