Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katz14
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If I were a breeder I don't think I would have put you on my list if your sole requirement was colour!

But it is customary to let each breeder know you are placing your name on another breeders list

I am sorry I did not know that it was customary to do this.
I was niaive to this situation as It is not something that I know about or have ever done before.

The sole requirements were not only the colour but Firstly was health checks and temprament.
As there were a range of colours to choose from and It is always black/tan dogs that I have had in the past I decided I would like something a little bit different.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with prefering a certain colour.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by katz14 View Post
I was niaive to this situation as It is not something that I know about or have ever done before.

The sole requirements were not only the colour but Firstly was health checks and temprament.
As there were a range of colours to choose from and It is always black/tan dogs that I have had in the past I decided I would like something a little bit different.
Not to worry, we all learn a new lesson every day.

Maybe if you are still interested in the first breeders pup, give her a ring and tell her you are sorry, you did not know the protocol when looking for a puppy.

She may take pity on you and allow you to go back on her list.

Hopefully you can know see from what we have said, that the breeder may have seen you as a time waster.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by katz14 View Post

Well at least this thread has been useful, not just for you, but for others who haven't understood about the 'etiquette' (and the reasons behind it) re putting your name on more than one breeder's list.

Hopefully you can put this behind you and in future remember to keep the breeders advised...imo you can never go far wrong if you are always open and honest (not that I think you were deliberately not being so).

Good luck in your search.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
There isn't as long as the colour isn't been bred simply for money, which sadly in GSDs is the norm-the non standard colours are usually way more expensive that standard coloured dogs-because they are "Rare"
katz14
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes I have learned my lesson through the comments Thank you all and I have became more knowlegable on the entire subject.

I will refrain from contacting the breeder as I have decided against getting another dog for the moment. (Family Issues preventing)

I think that I may be well best to stick to the original shepherds colour and get a black and tan maybe next year If circumstances allow.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK;1831417]There isn't as long as the colour isn't been bred simply for money, which sadly in GSDs is the norm-the non standard colours are usually way more expensive that standard coloured dogs-because they are "Rare"[/QUOTE

Understood. I wonder if that is the case with the breeder in question.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 07:14 PM
How about wasting the breeders time? I mean unless its a breed where you can guarantee colour, for example the Lab, it SHOULD be the DOG and breed you are interested in first and foremost, not the colour. I turned down a couple who wanted a pup from Tarras litter because they didnt think blue Borders looked "right" Well a Border is a Border is a Border, and although they were perfect in many ways, I turned them down as to me it was a pathetic "reason" to offer somebody who was possibly selling them a dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Understood. I wonder if that is the case with the breeder in question.
If a non standard colour turns up in a standard colour bred litter that's not a problem, but when non standard colours are bred for it is rarely to improve the breed.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How about wasting the breeders time? I mean unless its a breed where you can guarantee colour, for example the Lab, it SHOULD be the DOG and breed you are interested in first and foremost, not the colour. I turned down a couple who wanted a pup from Tarras litter because they didnt think blue Borders looked "right" Well a Border is a Border is a Border, and although they were perfect in many ways, I turned them down as to me it was a pathetic "reason" to offer somebody who was possibly selling them a dog.
i agree with this totally! there isnt nothing wrong with wanting a certain colour but people shouldnt turn down a puppy because it isnt the right colour! at the end of the day the breed of dog is still the same, the colour doesnt affect temperment or health, and that should be the main thing.
Page 5 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »